Traveling with young children

aehusk

Hi! My husband and I are traveling with our 3 and 2 year old children in January, 2014. We will be cruising to Nassau, St. Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk. My question is, if we are interested in beaches or different activities that are not within walking distance of the port, how do we get there? Is there safe transportation for children that young? I appreciate your assistance!

-Ashley

Taxi will probably be your best bet. Get a taxi and arrange for it to come back for you at a set time. Pay the ENTIRE amount when you get BACK TO THE SHIP.

That's what I was assuming, but is a taxi safe for children that young with no car seat?

Many folks will bring their own car seats. It's no more dangerous or safer than traveling at home with no car seat. You could look into public (bus) transportation...no seat belts, so no way to attach a seat....

You simply have to weigh the risks....we HAD no car seats when I was a kid, and yet...here I am!

That's what I was assuming, but is a taxi safe for children that young with no car seat?

Without directly answering your question, car seats are fairly new. They were not required until the late seventies and early eighties.

Hi! My husband and I are traveling with our 3 and 2 year old children in January, 2014. We will be cruising to Nassau, St. Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk. My question is, if we are interested in beaches or different activities that are not within walking distance of the port, how do we get there? Is there safe transportation for children that young? I appreciate your assistance!

-Ashley

Check out these travel vests. We love them for trips such as these.

Many folks will bring their own car seats. It's no more dangerous or safer than traveling at home with no car seat. You could look into public (bus) transportation...no seat belts, so no way to attach a seat....

You simply have to weigh the risks....we HAD no car seats when I was a kid, and yet...here I am!

People who are not here because they didn't have a car seat cannot share their thoughts on the subject.

Op, if you would avoid taking your children in a car without using a car seat at home, then apply the same standard during your trip. As CB/Sea suggests, perhaps you can bring your own. The travel vests suggested by Thankfulheart also looks like a great idea. You might want to check with the airline about any charges should you have to check the car seats. Probably not a problem with the vests as you could just carry them on, or have your children wear them when boarding.

Have a great trip.

I would check the laws where you are going. If they are not required in public transportation, I would not take them.

I took both of my kids to Mexico when they were 3 & under an did not use a car seat in the taxi. At home, yes, I am fanatical about proper car seat usage. And, if we had been renting a car, i would have brought a car seat. But, the likelihood of getting in an accident on the short drives you will be on in a taxi during vacation is not worth lugging a car seat around.

(Sort-of off topic- do people in new York buckle a car seat in taxis every time they get in and out?)

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk 2

I would check the laws where you are going. If they are not required in public transportation, I would not take them.

I took both of my kids to Mexico when they were 3 & under an did not use a car seat in the taxi. At home, yes, I am fanatical about proper car seat usage. And, if we had been renting a car, i would have brought a car seat. But, the likelihood of getting in an accident on the short drives you will be on in a taxi during vacation is not worth lugging a car seat around.

(Sort-of off topic- do people in new York buckle a car seat in taxis every time they get in and out?)

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk 2

I don't think that is valid at all. The likelihood of an accident in a tourist area where there has been heavy drinking is probably higher. Also, just because a country does not require safety measures does not mean they are not important. Lots of us survived lead paint, asbestos, DDT, etc. That does not mean these things should be OK.

In one instant, a life can be changed. Take the car seat.

We're leaving for a W. Caribbean cruise next weekend with my almost 3 year old. I'm pretty fanatical about car seats having one immediate family member that's a paraplegic and another with an extreme brain injury from MVAs. Not to say any of this is likely, but it made me realize what can happen and how quickly. I always travel with our car seat. It can be cumbersome, but it's how we roll.

I have this travel cart from Britax that the car seat clips on to. We fly frequently and it's been awesome. If he's not in it (which he's usually not since I'm running him around trying to tire him out before the flight) then we pile bags in it to pull around. I always belt him in rear facing on the plane too and he sleeps through pretty much every flight. The sleep alone makes it all worthwhile for me (and likely most other passengers).

21562256_main_full.jpeg

Not a rant, and not trying to start a safety debate, just sharing how we do it, and how we are planning to do this cruise. Talk to me again after I've dragged the damn seat through 3 islands ;)

Archived