Advice on Jones Act for a B2B cruise

BrusselsGirl07

Thanks guys, I have sent them an email, so hopefully will get a response soon!

Once did a B2B cruise from Tampa to San Juan (leg 1) to Baltimore (leg 2). I think if the ship does not have a problem the PAX should not have one either, eh?

Off topic a wee bit.

If you book your B2B while onboard they will give you OBC as if it were a 14 night cruise. IOW you will get an extra $100 OBC. ~ Rick

For lots of good reasons, I am toying with doing a B2B Alaskan cruise on Millennium. I would combine the 7 day Southbound Alaska with the 7 day Northbound Alaska - starting in Seward and going to Vancouver, and then staying on and heading back up to Seward on the reverse trip. But I just read a post about the Jones Act - would this be in violation? Thanks for any advice! Yvette

Why would you even worry about this ?:confused:

Are they going put you in jail ?

As long as you have you papers for both countries who would real care , any problem would be Celebrity's

Why would you even worry about this ?:confused:

Are they going put you in jail ?

As long as you have you papers for both countries who would real care , any problem would be Celebrity's

While this case is not a violation, folks have booked cruises that do violate this antiquated law and found that at some point before departure, they are refused boarding. It can get very sticky at the last minute and Celebrity will not let you violate these laws.

While this case is not a violation, folks have booked cruises that do violate this antiquated law and found that at some point before departure, they are refused boarding. It can get very sticky at the last minute and Celebrity will not let you violate these laws.

I believe Celebrity or the TA would be libel for any fine , as they should not sell you something that is illegal

Besides would this apply to non US passengers

Besides if we're to happen you would probably make the Jon Steward Show with your lawyer :p

I believe Celebrity or the TA would be libel for any fine , as they should not sell you something that is illegal

Besides if we're to happen you would probably make the Jon Steward Show with your lawyer :p

Citizenship has nothing to do with it.

Several years ago we found ourselves in this situation after booking B2B San Diego to Vancouver, then Vancouver to Seattle. 10 days before departure Immigrations notified Holland America our itinerary was in violation of the PSVA. HAL offered to pay Immigrations the $300 per person fine on our behalf to leave us "intact", but Immigrations refused and stood firm that we could not travel the itinerary as sold/ticketed. We simply canceled the entire trip and were refunded our cruise fares without penalty.

What if I cruise from Hawaii to Vancouver on Celebrity, spend a night in Vancouver and then sail Princes from Vancouver to San Francisco? Would that be allowed?

If the Hawaii to Vancouver leg were part of a B2B that started in Sydney, would that change anything?

Once did a B2B cruise from Tampa to San Juan (leg 1) to Baltimore (leg 2). I think if the ship does not have a problem the PAX should not have one either, eh?

This would be a PVSA violation, unless you hit a distant foreign port. Puerto Rico isn't considered a US port for PVSA purposes, so foreign-flagged ships can do one-way itineraries between Puerto Rico and a city in the 50 states. But with this itinerary you are effectively sailing from Tampa to Baltimore, which is a violation of the PVSA without a distant foreign port stop.

Whether the ship "has a problem" isn't really relevant. A cruise line can sail a ship anywhere it wants (notwithstanding violations of other laws, of course). The PVSA just restricts the itinerary that a paying passenger can travel.

What if I cruise from Hawaii to Vancouver on Celebrity, spend a night in Vancouver and then sail Princes from Vancouver to San Francisco? Would that be allowed?

No PVSA violation here. Once you change ships or stay a night on land, the two legs are 'broken up'. Each leg can stand on its own for PVSA purposes, and it is a no longer a back-to-back itinerary.

If the Hawaii to Vancouver leg were part of a B2B that started in Sydney, would that change anything?

Still no violation. The first two legs are effectively a Sydney to Vancouver itinerary, which would not be prohibited under the PVSA, regardless of the Hawaii stop.

You only have to hop on a different ship, it is not necessary for the PVSA to spend the night, of course it is necessary because of the ship's schedule:D. You are double protected in a way.... not only are you changing ships, but you are also changing cruise lines!

Starting in Sydney won't change anything because there would be no transportation between two US ports on the same ship.

Archived