Anyone changing plans do to Yellow Fever Information

Karysa

Just booked cruise yesterday and this morning I woke up to an e-mail warning about Yellow Fever in Barbados. I checked the Canadian Government travel warnings site and sure enough there was a posting yesterday with information on this subject.

Has anyone visited one of the clinics listed on the government travel site and what did you end up doing?

Thanks for any information that you can provide.

I will read the government site later but I thought that I would get your take on this first.

It is. They have always required this for as many years as I can remember.

Keith

I had a cruise stop in March of 2012 and 2013 and never received information on this. Also the information on the Canadian Government site on this subject was dated April 17, 2013.

Perhaps there has been a change in the amount of time that one is in an affected area before needing a certificate? My e-mail said if a traveller spends 12 hrs in an affected countries airport then a certification of vaccination is required for entry into Barbados.

It is. They have always required this for as many years as I can remember.

Keith

I don't remember anyone checking my passport in Barbados so how do they know if you have travelled to the affected regions. You were on a cruise that went to those areas but what about the rest of us who are on a 7 night cruise from San Juan?

Is it just citizens of these countries that they "target" or will we now be required to go through immigration or fill out a questionnaire to get off of the ship in Barbados?

I don't remember anyone checking my passport in Barbados so how do they know if you have travelled to the affected regions. You were on a cruise that went to those areas but what about the rest of us who are on a 7 night cruise from San Juan?

Is it just citizens of these countries that they "target" or will we now be required to go through immigration or fill out a questionnaire to get off of the ship in Barbados?

I responded to this on the other board where you posted this.

Barbados does require this and we have had to show proof of Yellow Fever Vaccination on multiple cruises that we have taken when visiting Barbados after coming from certain countries.

This is from the CDC web site.

Barbados

Yellow Fever

Requirements: Required if ≥1 year of age and traveling from a country with risk of YFV transmission (except Guyana and Trinidad and Tobago) and for travelers who have been in transit >12 hours in an airport located in a country with risk of YFV transmission.a (Updated May 29, 2012)

I responded to this on the other board where you posted this.

Barbados does require this and we have had to show proof of Yellow Fever Vaccination on multiple cruises that we have taken when visiting Barbados after coming from certain countries.

This is from the CDC web site.

Barbados

Yellow Fever

Requirements: Required if ≥1 year of age and traveling from a country with risk of YFV transmission (except Guyana and Trinidad and Tobago) and for travelers who have been in transit >12 hours in an airport located in a country with risk of YFV transmission.a (Updated May 29, 2012)

Perhaps there is new information or new countries added to the affected list because I have never received an e-mail from a cruiseline regarding this before and the Canadian Government site posted information regarding this subject yesterday, April 17,2013.

Anyone from Barbados heard anything new on this subject?

This is not new information and has been in existence for several years now. We needed a yellow fever vaccination for Barbados several years ago because we sailed Brazil and everyone (Canadians, etc.) on our World Cruise Voyage required it as well with the exception of those who had a letter from their physician exempting them from this due to a health risk.

I don't see that any countries have been added but if they were so be it.

All I am telling you is that this is nothing new.

Keith

This is not new information and has been in existence for several years now. We needed a yellow fever vaccination for Barbados several years ago because we sailed Brazil and everyone (Canadians, etc.) on our World Cruise Voyage required it as well with the exception of those who had a letter from their physician exempting them from this due to a health risk.

I don't see that any countries have been added but if they were so be it.

All I am telling you is that this is nothing new.

Keith

I understand what you keep saying.

My question NOW is ... Can ANYONE tell me how the Barbadian Government is keeping track of ...say a Canadian who travels to the affected site by AIR and the day after returning from this area boards a cruiseship and 3 days later is entering Barbados for the day. How are they keeping track of this?

Thanks Keith. By reading your last comment on the Ask a ? Board I think that I am finally understanding this a little better.

Why do you suppose that this is the first time that I have been notified via e-mail from the cruiseline if this is not new and I have stopped in Barbados in 2012 and 2013. Also just can't help but think that this e-mail and the posting yesterday on the Canadian Government travel site are connected. Too coincidental to me not to!

Thanks Keith. By reading your last comment on the Ask a ? Board I think that I am finally understanding this a little better.

Why do you suppose that this is the first time that I have been notified via e-mail from the cruiseline if this is not new and I have stopped in Barbados in 2012 and 2013. Also just can't help but think that this e-mail and the posting yesterday on the Canadian Government travel site are connected. Too coincidental to me not to!

You are very welcome.

When you stopped in Barbados in 2012 and 2013 did you stop at places that would have been on the list such as certain (not all but certain ones) in South and Central America.

Also did you sail the same cruise line?

Do you have a link to the Canadian Site where you saw the item noted?

Keith

You are very welcome.

When you stopped in Barbados in 2012 and 2013 did you stop at places that would have been on the list such as certain (not all but certain ones) in South and Central America.

Also did you sail the same cruise line?

Do you have a link to the Canadian Site where you saw the item noted?

Keith

Different cruiselines.

Try this ( not so good at this sort of thing). http://www.travel.gc.ca/destinations/Barbados/

Ok, could the last updat be an everyday update and not a yellow fever update? I am beginning to think so.

Different cruiselines.

Try this ( not so good at this sort of thing). http://www.travel.gc.ca/destinations/Barbados/

Ok, could the last updat be an everyday update and not a yellow fever update? I am beginning to think so.

Just looking at the web site I do not see anything indicating there are any changes and I think the reason for the e mail is that each cruise line handles this differently.

Keith

Just booked cruise yesterday and this morning I woke up to an e-mail warning about Yellow Fever in Barbados. I checked the Canadian Government travel warnings site and sure enough there was a posting yesterday with information on this subject.

Has anyone visited one of the clinics listed on the government travel site and what did you end up doing?

Thanks for any information that you can provide.

I will read the government site later but I thought that I would get your take on this first.

What is Yellow Fever? Due to go to Barbados in November.

What is Yellow Fever? Due to go to Barbados in November.

It's a virus carried by mosquitoes. Apparently it attacks the liver causing jaundice in the affected person hence the name yellow fever. It is not in Barbados but rather the Barbadian Government wants a vaccination certificate from people who have recently been to the affected areas such as areas in Africa and South America. I have never received an email regarding this before and it really shocked me.

Have any of you received this e-mail after you booked your cruise going to Barbados?

We will be traveling to Barbados on a cruise this coming May on Carnival Valor and although we have NOT received the email about having to provide proof of yellow fever vaccine, others on our Roll Call have. We contacted our travel agent, just in case, and were told that if we had not been to any of the affected countries then we do not need proof of vaccine. We are in the USA and she told us that Carnival will send those notices to cruisers outside of the USA but occasionally they are sent by mistake to USA residents and that Carnival has been doing this for about a year now. She told us that our passports, proving that we were not in any of those affected countries (Africa/South America), should be enough proof. She also suggested having our flight itinerary with us, just in case they want proof that we have not traveled through an airport (and been there for 12 hours) in an affected country. She said she never heard of Carnival checking flight itineraries though. I have seen this pop up occasionally on the Carnival boards as well.

If you are just sailing the Caribbean do not concern yourself with this.

Keith

I've lived on the island for awhile 60+ yrs.

and we have no Yellow Fever worries on the island.

Folks coming from Northern countries present no/little risk.

Besides, they scan thru your passport looking for rubber stamps

to see where you've been lately.

They know better than you ..which countries are health-risky.

You're cool. ;)

Unless you've been to Amazonia recently -or Wherever.

I've lived on the island for awhile 60+ yrs.

and we have no Yellow Fever worries on the island.

Folks coming from Northern countries present no/little risk.

Besides, they scan thru your passport looking for rubber stamps

to see where you've been lately.

They know better than you ..which countries are health-risky.

You're cool. ;)

Unless you've been to Amazonia recently -or Wherever.

We are saying the same thing.

If you are sailing just the caribbean no yellow fever vaccination shot is required.

If you are arriving from a country that is on the list then one is required and an example is Brazil.

This is why we needed one.

Keith

Quick question. My family and I are staying in San Juan for one night prior to cruising. We will be on the Valor in June (going to Barbados). Do we need to have this vaccination?

No. You will be fine. I am assuming you are just sailing the Southern Caribbean.

Keith

• 5 months later...
No. You will be fine. I am assuming you are just sailing the Southern Caribbean.

Keith

Old post that I found that is helpful for me, too! Thanks!

Question - I have a passport - so they'll be able to scan my passport, but my friend that I am cruising with doesn't have a passport. She uses her birth certificate. How will they confirm with her? Or will she need to get the vaccination?

Will there be any questions asked onboard or is this just a notification from Carnival that we received and just make us aware?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks for your help!

Archived