alaska in May footwear

winona53

Trying to get our list of clothing items together for Alaska cruise/tour for mid-May. Do we need to bring boots or hiking shoes or will waterproofed sneakers be o.k.? Won't be doing any serious hiking or trekking other than one glacier tour. How cold does it really get mid-May?

Trying to get our list of clothing items together for Alaska cruise/tour for mid-May. Do we need to bring boots or hiking shoes or will waterproofed sneakers be o.k.? Won't be doing any serious hiking or trekking other than one glacier tour. How cold does it really get mid-May?

Weather in Alaska can change in an instant.

We have had 70's in May and Snow at the end of July and visa versa.

Good hiking shoes/boots would be a good idea.

Tennis shoes on a glacier would probably not be good.

We are always prepared by bringing gloves hats coats.

The rule is layers layers layers.

I bought a pair of waterproof hiking shoes from LL Bean before our trip to Alaska last May and wore them almost everyday. They were great for hiking and just walking around the ports. We had really good weather, so didn't have to worry about the waterproofing but I would highly recommend that as well. On our previous cruise to Alaska in August it rained almost everyday and waterproof shoes were an essential. Best to be prepared.

I took my uggs and wore them half the time

I cruised in early May and never needed or wore my brand new specifically bought Uggs (waste of luggage space) for the trip..so you never know ;)

I just bought waterproof hiking boots thru Eddie Bauer and walking waterproof tennis type shoes from Clarks Shoes called Wave.Trek. Both are comfortable for me. Will use hiking boots on glaciers and sneaker type on Kayaking as vendor requests less chunky shoes to fit in kyaks.

I cruised in early May and never needed or wore my brand new specifically bought Uggs (waste of luggage space) for the trip..so you never know ;)

I would never bring Uggs to Alaska in the summer.

Unless you will be ttramping around out in the wilderness, IMO, leather walking-type shoes are very adequate.

We bought a can of Camp Dry at WalMart, sprayed on a couple of coats on our shoes before we left home, and never had any problem with wet feet.

Much less expensive than hiking boots or special waterproof shoes and much easier to pack.

Me neither, but I've seen a lot of people wearing them. Personally, they make my feet hot unless it's really cold out. I would never wear them in 50-60 F weather, and above 60 I'm putting on shorts and flip flops. :p

I just wear sneakers in Alaska. I've never bothered to waterproof them. I do avoid pairs that I know are susceptible to getting very wet. I do sometimes bring my hiking shoes, which are only slightly bigger/clunkier than sneakers. I like the extra stability if I'm doing any trail walking, such as at Mendenhall. I probably won't bother with them this year, since we are taking my 70-ish mom and aunt, so won't be doing anything even remotely strenuous. I'll take one good pair of sneakers... and probably 3 pairs of flip flops and at least 2 pairs of dress shoes. :o

Me neither, but I've seen a lot of people wearing them. Personally, they make my feet hot unless it's really cold out. I would never wear them in 50-60 F weather, and above 60 I'm putting on shorts and flip flops. :p

Heck - I live where we sometimes get a lot of snow and I don't wear boots then either.

The spray does its job but water goes through the holes.

My walking shoe mesh has holes that go through to my socks; my husband's mesh is placed above another layer of fabric that holds the spray and keeps his feet dry. So my socks get wet and his don't.

Try wearing your shoes outside in the grass on a dewy morning and you'll know which kind you have!

I have been looking in amazon.com and found a shoe cover called muck boots shoe cover. It goes over the shoe and closes in the back with a zipper. They didn't have any reviews so I'm taking a chance.

I ordered a pair to try it out. I dont want to risk having my feet wet all day in case it rains. I dont have a choice to wear another type of shoe but the ones with the mesh on top, so hopefully this will work.

I love my Uggs. I live on the coast of California and we wear them here all year long. Wonderful for foggy mornings or evenings that we have in all seasons and so comfortable. I always take them with me to Alaska. I don't pack them, just wear them on the car trip or plane, however we are traveling. I find them perfect for walking around on the ship both indoors and outside and for short walks around ports. I have sturdy walking boots for hiking or more strenuous activity. But other than that for me Uggs are the perfect shoe, warm, cozy and very comfortable.

Our first Alaska cruise was in September. One of our shore excursion was a hike on Mendenhall. We rode the train part way, got off, hiked the glacier, and rode the train back to Skagway. Of all the trips we've taken, one of my favorite memories is eating a peanut butter sandwich at the top of Mendenhall! By all means, try to take hiking boots. We were glad we had them. We did not anticipate the very rocky hiking involved in the glacier.

Enjoy! And I hope you have a peanut butter sandwich at the top! :)

Our first Alaska cruise was in September. One of our shore excursion was a hike on Mendenhall. We rode the train part way, got off, hiked the glacier, and rode the train back to Skagway. Of all the trips we've taken, one of my favorite memories is eating a peanut butter sandwich at the top of Mendenhall! By all means, try to take hiking boots. We were glad we had them. We did not anticipate the very rocky hiking involved in the glacier.

Enjoy! And I hope you have a peanut butter sandwich at the top! :)

OOPS! It wasn't Mendenhall. I don't remember the name of the glacier we hiked in Skagway. But it was awesome.

I love my Uggs. I live on the coast of California and we wear them here all year long. Wonderful for foggy mornings or evenings that we have in all seasons and so comfortable. I always take them with me to Alaska. I don't pack them, just wear them on the car trip or plane, however we are traveling. I find them perfect for walking around on the ship both indoors and outside and for short walks around ports. I have sturdy walking boots for hiking or more strenuous activity. But other than that for me Uggs are the perfect shoe, warm, cozy and very comfortable.

All my daughters feel the same way about their Uggs...So I thought it was the perfect time for me to buy them for Alaska (I was expecting Alaska to be cold and didn't consider May to be Summer)..Oh well at least I have a pair now..And yes Ventura County can get a bit cool for us too ;)

Archived