Monarch of the Seas is now just.... Monarch (Pics)

Here are some pictures from the shipyard in the Bahamas, where Monarch of the Seas is being transformed into Pullmantur's "Monarch".

One of the pictures shows her Crown and Anchors, discarded in a garbage pile.

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y531/UK_USA/MONARCH_zps3c4236c2.jpg

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y531/UK_USA/CROWN_zps54fd51b7.jpg

Great pictures, thank you for sharing!

WOW.... people will never cease to amaze me... nothing but their own opinion to go on and they are calling people out... well.. .here is a shot of the stern of the ship... with the ship name emblazoned across it... or did I photoshop that too?

As someone correctly said, the balconies on Sovereign are VERY different, as the balconies were only added a few years ago and the walls of those cabins slope outwards...

But I am more than happy to prove that these are indeed real pictures of the Monarch.

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y531/UK_USA/aft_zps50d46068.jpg

If you want me to get a photo with the date written on a piece of paper also in frame, I would be happy to do that too.

Thanks for posting the photos. Some people don't understand how dry docks work. I knew that was the MN. She now looks just like her sister Sovereign.

WOW.... people will never cease to amaze me... nothing but their own opinion to go on and they are calling people out... well.. .here is a shot of the stern of the ship... with the ship name emblazoned across it... or did I photoshop that too?

As someone correctly said, the balconies on Sovereign are VERY different, as the balconies were only added a few years ago and the walls of those cabins slope outwards...

But I am more than happy to prove that these are indeed real pictures of the Monarch.

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y531/UK_USA/aft_zps50d46068.jpg

If you want me to get a photo with the date written on a piece of paper also in frame, I would be happy to do that too.

Please ... stop with the martyr complex .. and by the way, the link to your photoisn't working.

Its always a sad occasion to see an older ship be transferred and/or scrapped because of the history of the vessel and everything it has been through and accomplished in its lifetime.

I totally agree. Only good thing in this case is that Monarch is still going to be sailing for years to come, making many new cruisers happy, providing them great cruises.

She's also still under the RCI umbrella too .. so that's comforting .... and we can all keep an eye on her via that maritime traffic website too ... SO much better a fate for Monarch than being scrapped!

Its always a sad occasion to see an older ship be transferred and/or scrapped because of the history of the vessel and everything it has been through and accomplished in its lifetime.

I agree. At the same time, I feel like it truly was time for her to drop the Royal Caribbean brand name. She just couldn't keep up with the rest of the fleet anymore between the tiny cabins, lack of amenities, and such. Majesty was at least updated slightly more in depth. I thought she was a drag on the Royal Caribbean name when I sailed on her in 2010. That's not to say she wasn't a great ship, she was just a little rough around the edges and showed her age.

I think a lot of us liked her for the good times we enjoyed aboard her and reminiscing on her past, more than the ship itself. I'm glad to see a better replacement in Port Canaveral, but as you said, it's always sad seeing a ship leave. Sovereign and Monarch left one heck of mark on the evolution of cruising and I will always cherish the time we spent onboard them.

It's interesting they kept the Viking Lounge...my understanding is that these have been cut away from previous RCL ships that left the fleet, to maintain the signature look only on RCL.

Actually most of them have kept them. Sovereign and Empress kept theirs as well. And now that Quantum appears not to have one they may be a thing of the past :rolleyes:.

It's interesting they kept the Viking Lounge...my understanding is that these have been cut away from previous RCL ships that left the fleet, to maintain the signature look only on RCL.

Viking Serenade (now Island Escape sailing for Thompson) had a 'backwards' VCL, and photos from September 2012 still show it on.

http://www.shipparade.com/az/Island_Escape/Island_Escape_2.htm

Empress had a similar design VCL, and still sailing for Pullmantur, and also has it on.

Really? Is it on Cruisingpower or just rumored?

We chatted with an RCCL official from MIA while on MN's final cruise. Asked about MJ's final cruise date. Even though current bookings show only thru 4/2014, he stated that she should go way past that date and maybe into 2015. Also stated that she's in fine shape, paid for in full, and with all of the juggling and repositioning of ships, she's a good wild card to have in the fleet.

(And just maybe, Pullmantur is not yet ready for another ship.)

R&D

I've seen the Song of America in Europe as the Thomson Destiny and the VCL is still as it was. In fact the name Song of America was still visible through the white overcoat and the new name. I've taken pictures of it but it would be too hard to find so here is one as she is now and how I saw her.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:ThomsonDestiny.jpg

Gina

They actually saved the C&A logo from Sovereign to use on the Oasis and Allure, but when the time came to install them they were either the wrong size or to badly corroded to use, can't remember which

Typically they save the Logo to use on another ship. Who knows if they will actually use it or not, but we were told the Sovereign was used on the Oasis.

One of you is wrong. I was told by Captain Johnny that the anchors above the diving pool on both Oasis & Allure were from Sovereign.

One of you is wrong. I was told by Captain Johnny that the anchors above the diving pool on both Oasis & Allure were from Sovereign.

On the Oasis pre inaugural, Captain Bill Wright stated that the intention was to use them, but in the end they weren't used, for one of the reasons I stated, can't remember which one. If you look closely at the C&A's on Oa and AL you will see that they are actually slightly different to the normal ones, they are more of a "squat" design.

Wait .... she only left the RCCL fleet a little over 2 weeks ago --- how could they have possibly painted Monarch already ? That's WAY too fast for that entire ship to have been painted already ... especially in the Bahamas ... where they operate on their own time schedule !

Are we sure that's not a re-touched photo .. or one of the Sovereign some years ago?

I dunno about these pics ....

There is ABSOLUTELY no way Monarch could have been painted fully like that so quickly. NO WAY. NO WAY. NOPE. NYET!

I'm sorry, I must've missed it. Can you tell us again how many cruise ship hulls you have painted in your illustrious career?:rolleyes:

On the Oasis pre inaugural, Captain Bill Wright stated that the intention was to use them, but in the end they weren't used, for one of the reasons I stated, can't remember which one. If you look closely at the C&A's on Oa and AL you will see that they are actually slightly different to the normal ones, they are more of a "squat" design.

Crown and Anchor said the logos could only be applied to new ship builds. Since Oasis and Allure were previously ordered, they were considered existing ships and not new so the discounts (I mean logos) could not be applied.:eek:

You are correct, Here is the one on the Allure of the Seas:

057_zpsd5732cec.jpg

I have a feeling you can expect to see one of the ones from the Monarch on the next Oasis Class ship due out in 2016. :)

Capt. Johnny also made the same statement during his Q&A session on my cruise last year.

Archived