Regent Flights - with and without deviation

Travelcat2

1 hour ago, TheShag said:

I have noticed a lot of references to using Kayak. In the past, ITA Matrix was suggested. When using ITA, i see a more fulsome [but less desirable] selection of available flights. I am looking to go RSW-SYD on 15/12/24 and returning AKL-RSW on 3/1/25. As I do my homework in anticipation for the 210 booking date, is it wrong to only use Kayak? Thanks folks.

Actually ita matrix shows all possible connections so is quite voluminous  you can limit times on the page before you searcc. Kayak and other third parties are limited in the number of flights available o

3 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

Regent contracts for deeply discounted fares.  Since Covid, the airlines are understaffed and oversold.  So contract fares are very hard to find, especially in Business Class.  The only way to get those fares is to fly on the less desirable itineraries.  So it isn't actually Regent "making it bad," it's simply a function of economics 101... high demand, low supply equals high prices. 

American cancelled/cut back on routes this fall due to Boeing's delays on 787 deliveries. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rallydave said:

That’s exactly what I am saying based on their written terms a conditions. I will repeat there have been reports that regent has helped people in the past but remember cruise critic is not a very representative group of cruise passengers maybe 10% so not a good sampling 

hoping regent will help but no guarantee like many people  believe. 

also have had reports from people with airline probkk k end while traveling at airports who only phone regent for flight help and sometimes no answer or help 

The first thing to do with airline issues is to phone the airline while getting in the line at customer service to get your flights fixed. The airline is responsible and knows this  contacting regent simply delays the fix as they have to go thru the airline as well. With time differences regent may not be available.  God luck your flights are in time 

We did experience a missed connection to Singapore a few months back in a Holland cruise with their air. My husband stood in the American line to get rebooked while I worked the Holland Air dept.  Holland was able to find us another flight before my husband reached the counter so perhaps we just got lucky - it was midnight too in LAX and the Holland agent wasn’t the happiest but she did get us rerouted. If booking on my own, I would never wait until 75 days out to secure a flight.  I start looking immediately so we can get a good itinerary and seats. I then watch the prices to see if the airline reduces it. Just got back $100 ea on a flight to Lima. 😃

• Like 1

On 4/1/2024 at 12:25 PM, SWFLAOK said:

We have an American Airlines Advantage membership number and have miles from several International flights on American but the lounge in Doha wanted to see an AA Advantage credit card which we don't have. But we were allowed into the Qatar Airways business class lounge with a supervisor's approval and 273 dollars. They said that they were having a problem with travel agency's booking business lite and not informing their clients. Our TA told is to keep the receipt and she will talk to Regent about The 273 only includes 6 hours of access, and Regent booked our flights with over 6 hours originally, and it grew to 9.5 hours over the months since we booked. We found out that there was a Bangkok flight at 8:10 that they could have booked us on but didn't. We would have been willing to pay for an extra night through Regent for that.  At least the terminal here is beautiful compared to the one at MIA.

We were told we had access to the lounge included on our return flights which has First class tickets from Abu Dhabi to Doha and business lite from Doha to Miami, but we only have 2 hours in between.

We will be looking out for business lite and business restricted fares in the future since we now know it might cost a lot more.

Just to follow up on this, the return flights did turn out better. On the return trip, our short flight from Abu Dhabi to Doha was booked as First Class since there was no Business Class. First Class contained 8 seats, with 6 of us being from the Regent cruise, and the other 2 having a final destination of Doha. We had access to the lounge in Abu Dhabi, and our 2:15 AM Regent van ride from the hotel (the Rosewood was a great hotel) to the airport gave us time to spend in the Abu Dhabi Lounge which was acceptable, but nothing special. I had a glass of chardonnay and a cup of yogurt for breakfast, and it was fine. Our short flight to Doha went well. We had our own flight attendant in First Class, and I passed on the champagne and snack. In Doha, we had 90 minutes before boarding after passing through a full security check twice after landing. Our flight to MIA was leaving from terminal C, and close to Al Mourjan Business Lounge which overlooks The Orchard. This is the same lounge we had paid 273 dollars on our previous flight. Since we had departed from Abu Dhabi on a First Class flight, we were allowed access, and we were able to stretch our legs in the terminal, and relax in the lounge before our 15 hour flight to MIA, and our 3 hour drive home.

All of our Qatar Airways flights left on time or early, which is unusual. The service on board was excellent. For me, they serve too much food, and it isn't what I want to eat when I have a long flight.

As far as being given "business lite" on the cruise that just ended, we booked another cruise onboard, and the reservation made clearly says (but wasn't pointed out to us) that the cruise includes "restricted business class". So anyone who expects real "business class" should be prepared to have to pay extra if you want anything other than one of the worst seats in the business class section of the plane.

On the future cruise, we will be looking at options other than taking the Regent air, especially after reading on this forum that Regent doesn't help with rebooking if their booked flights don't work out during your cruise.

24 minutes ago, SWFLAOK said:
25 minutes ago, SWFLAOK said:

On the future cruise, we will be looking at options other than taking the Regent air, especially after reading on this forum that Regent doesn't help with rebooking if their booked flights don't work out during your cruise.

Since I am the one talking about Regent responsibility, I need to clarify what you wrote.   I did NOT state that Regent doesn't help, I will repeat, Regent is not required to help but, it has been reported that they do help at times.  Huge difference in meaning.

That said, I was using cruise air on my last cruise, not included but, one where they do state they will help with any flight i.  issues.  Well my flight from Reykjavik  back home was cancelled before leaving the ship. Still went to the airport as knew  the airline would rebook me back home.  Got in the check-in line and the agent found I had been rebooked thru Frankfort and in Business all the way

Put us on a bus back to downtown Reykjavek for a private room for the day, 2 dmeals and a tzxi bac to the airport at 8:30 for my flight east to go west.  No matter who books a flight the airline is ultimately responsible for getting you to your destination and phoning the cruise line is simply adding another group into the complexity  IMHO better to go direct to who can make the change happen.

Since the EU has strong consumer protecting and with Iceland a Schengen country and subject to EU laws, I ended up with $500 travel plus $655 check for my delay   FYI this was United who flew me home on Lufthansa 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

As far as being given "business lite" on the cruise that just ended, we booked another cruise onboard, and the reservation made clearly says (but wasn't pointed out to us) that the cruise includes "restricted business class". So anyone who expects real "business class" should be prepared to have to pay extra if you want anything other than one of the worst seats in the business class section of the plane

For clarity, it's always said "restricted business" (at least it has since 2018).  That is more of a term regarding the fact that it's a very discounted ticket.  However the service difference between "restricted business" and "business" is airline dependent.  For U.S. airlines, (well for United and Delta) at this point there is no real difference.  You still get your pick of seats when it's booked (a great reason to deviate 210 days out), you can change your seats dependent on availability, and get full access to the lounges, full baggage allowance, etc.  

Qatar  changed to offering "business lite" around 2021 and part of the reduced fare offer is no access to their lounges and no advanced seat selection.  This is available on the Qatar website, so it behooves someone to check it out before accepting bookings on any airlines.  

Again... a good reason to deviate 210 days out.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

Qatar  changed to offering "business lite" around 2021 and part of the reduced fare offer is no access to their lounges and no advanced seat selection.  This is available on the Qatar website, so it behooves someone to check it out before accepting bookings on any airlines.  

Again... a good reason to deviate 210 days out.

It is helpful if you get status in the 3 big alliances.  You can use credit card spend and AA shopping to reach AA gold status very easily.  Gold = one world ruby and includes seat selection even on lite fare for BA or QR.  Achieve platinum and any J ticket will give you access to a network of lounges.  

• Like 1

Just received the seat assignments for our flight in late June (Ft Myers, FL to Rome and return Nice to Ft Myers).  Three legs are in business class and the Newark to Ft Myers is in first class.  These were handled by Regent and without deviation. 
Very surprised they gave us first class seats domestically.

• Thanks 1

On 5/2/2024 at 4:45 PM, FL Wolfpacker said:

Very surprised they gave us first class seats domestically

It's really a function of how the airlines tickets the flight.  And as wcsdkqh said if the same airline that usually happens.  But if you go on to any website and look at a Business Class ticket from Ft. Myers to Rome, the airlines will consider it "business class" from start to finish even though it is really a first class seat on one leg of the trip.  In fact, many European airlines have "business class" from the U.S. to Europe then continuing on to the final destination.  BUT the "business class" for a European leg often is simply the middle seat blocked out on a single class plane.  The U.S. carriers don't do that.  If you book business class on a U.S carrier all the way through it'll be first class domestic and business class internationally. 

1 hour ago, papaflamingo said:

BUT the "business class" for a European leg often is simply the middle seat blocked out on a single class plane.  The U.S. carriers don't do that.  If you book business class on a U.S carrier all the way through it'll be first class domestic and business class internationally. 

Though on the European business class you usually get a PDB and a meal/snack even on 1 hr. flights.  Not always the case in US first.

• Like 1

Any recent (2022!, 23, 24) experience with flights from Toronto to Capetown. How have you been routed. I’m booked on a December cruise out of Capetown and am wondering what to expect.

I'm reading this thread and trying to get a feel for what to expect. We've cruised a lot but have just booked our first Regent cruise. I loved the "all-inclusive " aspect as a respite from all of the research I've always had to do for previous cruises but now I'm worrying about whether we should have booked the air portion ourselves. We will be flying Detroit- Rome and Monte Carlo- Detroit. We are supposed to get business class air.

I usually try to get non-stops but does Regent booking our air preclude that?

How far in advance will we know what our flights are? 

If I decide to get a deviation how will I find out what portion of our new flights will be covered by Regent?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks in advance.

34 minutes ago, chamima said:

I'm reading this thread and trying to get a feel for what to expect. We've cruised a lot but have just booked our first Regent cruise. I loved the "all-inclusive " aspect as a respite from all of the research I've always had to do for previous cruises but now I'm worrying about whether we should have booked the air portion ourselves. We will be flying Detroit- Rome and Monte Carlo- Detroit. We are supposed to get business class air.

If I decide to get a deviation how will I find out what portion of our new flights will be covered by Regent?

Thanks in advance.

I think I’m on the same sailing as you if your departure is 7/1/24.  If so, you should have already received your flight info from Regent.  If your sailing is later you can deviate 210 days from departure.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, FL Wolfpacker said:

I think I’m on the same sailing as you if your departure is 7/1/24.  If so, you should have already received your flight info from Regent.  If your sailing is later you can deviate 210 days from departure.

We depart Sept. 5th.

So should I wait to see what Regent books for us before I ask for a deviation or is it better to be proactive and do it now?

Edited by chamima

2 minutes ago, chamima said:

We depart Sept. 5th.

So should I wait to see what Regent books for us before I ask for a deviation or is it better to be proactive and do it now?

If you wait you are stuck with the flights they provided most likely. I think you are within the 210 day time period so give them a call. They will charge you $75 and will work with you on your desired flights. If you want non stop flights there will more than likely be an additional charge 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, chamima said:

Thanks in advance.

You can deviate NO MORE than 210 days prior to the cruise.  So you can call them today and deviate if you want.  Before you do so, research your flights and decide what you want.  Find as many options as possible and decide if it's worth any up charge.  Also if you fly in early via deviation you lose Regent transportation from the airport.  If you aren't in a Concierge or higher suite, Regent will fly you in to arrive the day of the cruise. That is WAY to close for my comfort so I always deviate to go a few days early and enjoy the departure city.  And Rome is a city you can spend weeks in without seeing everything!  

When you call, you'll be charged a single $75.  That will be included in one of the $175 per person deviation fees if you accept deviation.  So you only pay a total of $175 pp to deviate (plus any up charge if required).

When you talk to the agent, be prepared to present your requested flights and see if they can do it.  It helps to have as many possibilities as you can.  Regent has contract rates on most airlines, but not all flights.  And non-stops are getting harder to find for contract rates (no up charge) due to airline pricing.  Look for flights that have 2 business class fares shown, i.e. on refundable and a lower one non-refundable.  It's more likely that they'll have contract rates on those. Also you can kind of get a feel by pricing and see which flights are cheapest.  If the flight you want isn't available for contract rates, they may offer it at an up charge.  You need to decide if it's worth it or look for another option.  

Also, if you have a domestic leg, they will be able to tell you if that leg is in first class or not.  Only Intercontinental flights are business class, but if an airlines tickets it straight through, it'll include first class domestic. AND if a U.S carrier, you can have the agent select your seats if you find a flight you want.  BUT you still have to agree via an email they'll send out within 48 hours to secure the deviation.  So be sure your TA knows as the email will likely be sent to them.  

One more thing to consider.  If you use a foreign carrier and connect in Europe, the second flight will likely be in a single class airplane with the middle seats blocked out. That's their version of "first class" or "business class" when intra-Europe. Also if ever connecting in Asia be sure the second leg includes first or business. I looked at a flight via Delta to Hong Kong connecting in Inchon, but the 4 hour leg from Inchon to Hong Kong would have been in coach!  So I always do my best to try and connect at a U.S. hub rather than a foreign hub. 

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Thanks 3

17 hours ago, chamima said:

Thanks in advance.

You will be given options when you deviate, complete with uncharges, if any. Have a list of preferred times/routes before you call. 

5 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

One more thing to consider.  If you use a foreign carrier and connect in Europe, the second flight will likely be in a single class airplane with the middle seats blocked out. That's their version of "first class" or "business class" when intra-Europe. Also if ever connecting in Asia be sure the second leg includes first or business. I looked at a flight via Delta to Hong Kong connecting in Inchon, but the 4 hour leg from Inchon to Hong Kong would have been in coach!  So I always do my best to try and connect at a U.S. hub rather than a foreign hub. 

Connecting in the US is also easier as you don't have to go through security again as you do at most international airports when transiting.  A big PITA in places like LHR.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

Connecting in the US is also easier as you don't have to go through security again as you do at most international airports when transiting.  A big PITA in places like LHR.

The only problems we've had transiting on flights assigned by cruise lines are those within the US. That's because our flights were had too little time between them, and then were delayed, We didn't make the second flight in the US, and at that point, we lost our business class seats on the international flight.

If you're flying to another country from the US, you will have to go through security. If you arrive in one EU country from the US, and are flying to another country in the EU, you won't have to go through security again.

We now always go for an international flight as our first flight, to ensure our long flight is in business class seats.

17 minutes ago, SWFLAOK said:

The only problems we've had transiting on flights assigned by cruise lines are those within the US. That's because our flights were had too little time between them, and then were delayed, We didn't make the second flight in the US, and at that point, we lost our business class seats on the international flight.

If you're flying to another country from the US, you will have to go through security. If you arrive in one EU country from the US, and are flying to another country in the EU, you won't have to go through security again.

We now always go for an international flight as our first flight, to ensure our long flight is in business class seats.

The delay issue is why you deviate.  I always leave extra time between connections to an international flight just more lounge time which is easy.    If you fly to a Schengen country (which is different from the EU) from a non-Schengen, you go through passport control on arrival and then through the security again at least a every Schengen country and LHR I've been to.  It is a preference for me to connect in the US and upon arrival after the longer leg, I'm finished and can go to the hotel.  

15 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

The delay issue is why you deviate.  I always leave extra time between connections to an international flight just more lounge time which is easy.    If you fly to a Schengen country (which is different from the EU) from a non-Schengen, you go through passport control on arrival and then through the security again at least a every Schengen country and LHR I've been to.  It is a preference for me to connect in the US and upon arrival after the longer leg, I'm finished and can go to the hotel.  

generally speaking, when connecting within the US to an international flight, what is your minimum connection time?

17 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

Thanks so much for the info, will definitely keep connection in mind

1 hour ago, TheShag said:

generally speaking, when connecting within the US to an international flight, what is your minimum connection time?

I prefer 2-3 hours depending on airport LAX 3-4