Car parking options at Southampton?

carhirer

I have just booked on a Ventura 12 day cruise. P&O recommend CPS Parking which offers parking @ £135. I think this is valet parking but not absolutely clear from the website.

Are there cheaper options whereby we could drop off pax and bags at the terminal and self park a short distance away?

I have found off docks parking but would prefer self parking near the terminal is this exists.

I don't know which terminal will be used.

The only parking within the port when travelling with P&O is CPS, which is valet parking. It does not matter which terminal you are travelling from. I believe that there are parking options outside the port but I have no experience of these.

There are a number of hotels that offer a stay and park facility at attractive prices. A list is here

http://www.destinationsouthampton.com/cruise/hotel-list/

The only self park option within the port is when travelling with Royal Caribbean/ Celebrity etc

Brian

Edited by BrianI

Agree that CPS is not the cehapest but it is very very easy and imo worth the money for the peace of mind. Your car is taken from you and your luggage unloaded from your car in front of the terminal building. You then walk straight in to check in.

When you disembark, you pick up your luggage and a trolley and just walk across to the nearest car park. We could even see our car from our cabin last year. Brilliant!

I have used alternative cruise parking in Southampton - they were very good - secure compound load your bags in a shuttle bus and they transfer you to and from the terminal. They are very efficient at it too. Wife has just used them last week and still impressed and we will be using agian for 14 night cruise in august - so i'm a happy customer. £96 for the 2 weeks booked some time ago. so either goto terminal and drop bags off and go out to them - 15min or so drive or just use their shuttle service which is no hassle in my opinion.

Thanks for the responses.

I think i'll go with Parking4Cruises which meet you at the terminal at start and finish so seems to offer the same advantages as CPS at a 30% discount. They seem to be recommended by a number of cruisers.

• 3 months later...

We used Parking4cruises. They were fine and a lot cheaper than CPS (£93 against £135)

You drive to terminal and drop off bags and passengers. Then drive to short-term car park 100 metres away. Attendant meets you there, notes mileage and photographs any dents or scratches. You walk back to terminal. The whole process took 20 mins. CPS had a bit of a queue themselves. They then drive the car to a secure car park just outside the dock.

On return you walk to the short term car park and meet the attendant. Check the car and mileage and drive round to pick up passengers and bags at terminal.

We are using parkonmydrive for our cruise next week. Drop off and pick up service provided. Definitely cheaper than other options. Well recommended and will try to post a review of this when we come back at the beginning of September.:)

• 5 weeks later...
We are using parkonmydrive for our cruise next week. Drop off and pick up service provided. Definitely cheaper than other options. Well recommended and will try to post a review of this when we come back at the beginning of September.:)

Are you back yet? How did park on my drive work out for you, and if good can you tell me which 'drive' you used.

That said I have used parking4cruises 3 times now and am really pleased with them. Not much difference than using the official car park company but much cheaper.

I've just had a look at the Parking4Cruises website and it all sounds good, however, I just wondered how you know you are handing over your car keys to a legitimate Parking4Cruises person and not a random car thief! :eek:

Presumably there's some sort of security checks?

Well I didn't have any concern. They may have had an ID badge but I can't remember. They certainly had paperwork with Parking4Cruises on it.

I've just had a look at the Parking4Cruises website and it all sounds good, however, I just wondered how you know you are handing over your car keys to a legitimate Parking4Cruises person and not a random car thief! :eek:

Presumably there's some sort of security checks?

You display their logo in your windscreen so that they recognise you when you arrive at the terminal short stay car park and they have a list of all the vehicles expected that morning. Also, the official on the short-term car park at the terminal knows the Parking4Cruises drivers. In addition to all that, I'm sure they would have ID if we'd asked for it, but on our way to the terminal there was a problem with me ringing the driver before we arrived and he rang me back, then mentioned it when we did arrive so we know we got the right man without asking for ID. They are very good and we would always recommend them.

What happens when you return as it says on the website about phoning them half an hour before you dock but I was thinking wouldn't it be before your allocated embarkation time?

Do not worry - Call them 30/40 minutes before you wish to collect the vehicle - The time from when you are called to disembark, going through Customs etc, to actually arriving at the Car Park is approx 30/40 minutes - Usually the vehicle is already there before you call.;)

What happens when you return as it says on the website about phoning them half an hour before you dock but I was thinking wouldn't it be before your allocated embarkation time?

Yes really it should be half hour before you think you will be arriving at the car park, although last time I probably phoned at 6:30 am to say I'd be ready to pick my car up at 7:30am as I was going direct to work and didn't want any hold up.

• 2 months later...

Well we used parking4cruises and were very impressed with the service when we arrived and when we departed. Only problem was our clock was 8 hours different and all our radio channels had disappeared we noticed when we drove away. We e-mailed them and they said our battery had run down and they had to charge it up. Very odd, never happened before, has anyone else encountered anything like this?

Well we used parking4cruises and were very impressed with the service when we arrived and when we departed. Only problem was our clock was 8 hours different and all our radio channels had disappeared we noticed when we drove away. We e-mailed them and they said our battery had run down and they had to charge it up. Very odd, never happened before, has anyone else encountered anything like this?

Sounds like they may have left your radio or lights on and drained the battery.

• 4 weeks later...

Having used 'www.parkatmyhouse' in the past to hire my drive out, I decided to use them again to hire a space in Southampton.

I've got a space on a private driveway, very close to the terminal for less then £50 for two weeks! That sounds a bargain to me.

Sent from my XT890 using Forums mobile app

We are staying at Holiday Inn, Winchester pre cruise, I note from their site they do a parking deal. We are not leaving our rental car there, dropping it at Hertz, Southampton Airport then taxi to Mayflower Terminal for Arcadia on 13 April.

For those looking for parking near Southampton, might be of interest.

Edited by NSWP