Children sitting at the bar

SugarStar00

Probably going to start WW3 here but I'm curious,

On my last cruise there were quite a few families on the ship, and on several occasions I was unable to get a seat at a bar (atrium, lido) because there were children sitting on the stools hanging out with their parents. I didn't say anything at the time, but does anyone else think this is inappropriate? A bar to me is a place for those who are of drinking age to be and not 8 and 10 year olds.

Nuthin ever new here on Cruise Critic. :rolleyes:

Like I said the last time, they are paying customers and have just as much right to be there (especially with the 'rents) as anyone else does.

Ain't no sody shops on board, that's were they sell the pop.

Is your fare any different than theirs? Why would you think you can claim possession of a chair being used by others. They may be getting a drink just like you are. There's no self service soda dispensers.

I have brought my kids to bars many times(ship or no ship) and let them sit on the stools.

If it is crowded and someone needs to get in and get a drink, I will make them move, we are always considerate.

But if someone thinks they need to move just because it is "inappropriate", I am more than happy to discuss it.

But for some reason, that never seems to happen.....

Regardless of where they sit I think children at/in the bar is fine in the daytime 11-6pm on a family cruise, any later or a more adult type bar isnt really appropriate. Children are often round adults and alcohol at various occasions so why should a family bar/pub be any different?

Over here most bars/pubs are also restaurants so theres a 'kids out at 7' rule due to drinking getting heavier and sexual tension getting higher.

Which I agree with.

I do find it amusing when these parents stink eye the guys drinking adult beverages, using adult language when discussing adult topics.

Absolutely. I don't care if kids sit there, but parents should realize that a "bar" is not a "kid friendly" place.

I brought my kids to bar/restaurants the whole time they were growing up. When very young we were there for a few minutes, see friends and head home. When a bit older we would allow them to sit at the bar before 5ish, if no one else was around or just a few friends... if the area was busy they NEVER sat at the bar. When teens they would sit in a booth (their choice). I always wonder what parents are thinking when they have 5-10 year old sitting at the bar after 7ish or so? It is annoying and does not matter if it's on a cruise or the local bar. Living in a tourist area we see it from time to time. Most of the places have either an 8 or 9pm curfew for under 18 in the bar area.

I do find it amusing when these parents stink eye the guys drinking adult beverages, using adult language when discussing adult topics.

"Adult" language is never appropriate in a mixed crowd that has either women or children and the majority of adult men. I was always taught never to swear in front of a women!

IMO I don't think a cruise ship bar and a land bar are comparable. However i do believe that unless you are going to purchase a drink you should not sit at the actual bar. I think the general seating area is open to anyone.

Considering there is no where else for my 6 y/o to get his soda and if he stands, he is shorter than the bar and cannot be seen to be waited on, I have no problem with him sitting on a stool. Carnival has set it up in this fashion and until they offer soda elsewhere, it ain't gonna change.

Probably going to start WW3 here but I'm curious,

On my last cruise there were quite a few families on the ship, and on several occasions I was unable to get a seat at a bar (atrium, lido) because there were children sitting on the stools hanging out with their parents. I didn't say anything at the time, but does anyone else think this is inappropriate? A bar to me is a place for those who are of drinking age to be and not 8 and 10 year olds.

I can only speak on behalf off myself but when I cruise with my nieces and nephew they have to go to the bar to use their soda card. So that could be one reason kids are sitting at bars.

THere are bars (here in FLA) that don't allow children to sit at the bar. I guess my thoughts are later in the evening is adult time/adult conversation and I would sit somewhere else with her. Sitting at the bar vs waiting for a soda/mocktail is a different thing. I think sometimes there are conversations at the bar that are not appropriate for children. As a parent, I think it is our place to decide when it is appropriate or not.

Considering there is no where else for my 6 y/o to get his soda and if he stands, he is shorter than the bar and cannot be seen to be waited on, I have no problem with him sitting on a stool. Carnival has set it up in this fashion and until they offer soda elsewhere, it ain't gonna change.

^

nuf said Talex.

Oh jeez.

lol

I have to disagree! Even on Disney Cruises they will not allow kids in the bar areas...just like they don't allow adults in the kid zones.. Not that I would ever want to hang out in there ;)

Disney is so different then other cruise lines that no one really cares.

Archived