1-2-3-Go Unfair to single passengers

jmarkkasper

100 years ago my friends and I used to joke about "the girlfriend tax" - a 100% up-charge on the price of movies, clubs, restaurants, etc. There's cost in everything, LOL.

But I agree, a single cruiser should get double points & perks when they are literally paying for a non-existent occupant.

I also think the single rate shouldn't equal the double occupancy charge. There are fixed charges with a room (including housekeeping), but there are variable costs too. You aren't doubling the food cost, for example. There ought to be a single occupancy rate that takes those sorts of costs into account. Other travel venues do that, why not cruise lines?

But no one asked me....;)

I feel for you, OP, because my father-in-law ended up taking the $300 OBC since it's more than a single passenger's gratuities and he only drinks soda ($7/day).

On the general topic of 'double occupancy fares', I think the bigger injustice is that you are not eating twice the food but get no discounted rate for that one. Or in the case of AQ (like my FIL had on our last cruise to eat with us) not using two loungers in the Persian Gardens. I have read that some companies had in the past a 150% surcharge for single passengers and that seems more appropriate than 200%. But until a few years ago we all got two checked bags when flying, too.

If you drink, even a solo drink package is a $50/day savings, so I'd book and keep an eye open for discounted rates that exceed it. I am keeping an eye open for my FIL in case a restricted (i.e. senior) fare opens that is better, since even a $150 discount would equal $300 for him!!

Although I do not cruise by myself if the single supplement was only an additional 50% I (and potentially others) would consider booking two connecting cabins for the extra bathroom and space. It would be a lot less expensive than a suite. I suspect this is why the cruise fares are really based on two fares in a cabin.

Since the 123 offer required both guest to select the same option I can understand why a single cannot select two, but it really doe no seem fair not to allow a single person to get the same OBC as two people. Or perhaps it does?

Although I do not cruise by myself if the single supplement was only an additional 50% I (and potentially others) would consider booking two connecting cabins for the extra bathroom and space. It would be a lot less expensive than a suite. I suspect this is why the cruise fares are really based on two fares in a cabin.

Since the 123 offer required both guest to select the same option I can understand why a single cannot select two, but it really doe no seem fair not to allow a single person to get the same OBC as two people. Or perhaps it does?

Fascinating, I never would have considered that.

Is the third option of double the OBC available?:D

But the poster can already get the same OBC entitlement as a couple would.

In this case they are actually doubling the 'twin-share' OBC.

The OP does get the same OBC entitlement as two people.

The issue is they are asking for 2 of the options, e.g. the OBC PLUS the drinks package.

The issue is that this desire doesn't apply to a couple e.g. a couple wouldn't have one get the OBC and the other get the drinks package. It is an either/or arrangement. Thus, they CAN get the same offer as couples who are participating.

The ones who are _really_ disadvantaged are those who are travelling with children. If they choose the drinks offer, the child is not entitled to any offer including the cheaper non-alcoholic drinks package, or just the same drinks package but only getting drinks they are permitted to.

NCL now has a single cabin so maybe that would work better for you, it's called a Studio. I think more ships will start to do this .

Yes, Royal Caribbean also has solo cabins now e.g. Radiance.

There is no guarantee that a cruiseline will make more money off a couple. My husband and I frequently leave a ship with way less than $50 combined spent on top of our mandatory gratuity on our cruise cards. We don't drink but 1 or 2 drinks all cruise, we also don't gamble, go to specialty restaurants, shop onboard, or use cruise ship excursions. I would hazard most solo cruisers spend way more onboard than we do combined, since we don't spend on-board.

Yes, there are couples who spend less than singles, but that is probably not the norm. I am sure there are also singles who don't spend much on board, either. The cruise line doesn't plan their entire fleet based on the anecdotal evidence of one couple( although if they think you are typical, it would certainly cause them to raise their rates!)

Andrew

DH and I essentially did that once on Royal Caribbean. I was thinking of booking a JS and calculated the price. Then I calculated the price of a balcony cabin with a connecting windowless cabin (an odd combo that exists on a few ships). With a relatively low single supplement (depending upon how you calculate it, I think it was 160%) and after subtracting the C&A balcony discount for one cabin, the connecting cabins (as if two solos) were cheaper than a JS (booked as couple). And I got shareholder OBC for the inside cabin. So, in December we had lots of space and two bathrooms for ten nights.

Speaking of calculating single supplements, I believe Celebrity and Royal Caribbean are generally kinder to solos that some other lines. As I recall, they charge a single supplement on the commissionable fare but not on the noncommisssionable fare (sometimes inaccurately called port fees). Many other lines charge the single supplement on both commissionable and noncommissionable fares...now that seems unfair. Many passengers think of food costs as a major issue for solo vs double occupancy...but look at it from the cruiseline's point of view...What is the marginal cost of cooking for one guest more or less on a big ship (where food is pre-ordered and all personnel are in place...small cost to them which is offset on average by the on-board revenue of having one guest more or less)

Speaking of calculating single supplements, I believe Celebrity and Royal Caribbean are generally kinder to solos that some other lines. As I recall, they charge a single supplement on the commissionable fare but not on the noncommisssionable fare (sometimes inaccurately called port fees). Many other lines charge the single supplement on both commissionable and noncommissionable fares...now that seems unfair. Many passengers think of food costs as a major issue for solo vs double occupancy...but look at it from the cruiseline's point of view...What is the marginal cost of cooking for one guest more or less on a big ship (where food is pre-ordered and all personnel are in place...small cost to them which is offset on average by the on-board revenue of having one guest more or less)

Very true, I think that anything oin the region of 150-175% for a single supplement is quite fair.:D

Very true, I think that anything oin the region of 150-175% for a single supplement is quite fair.:D

I think 150% is a fair price for singles as well, the extra 50% covers the money they would have made from drinks, shopping ect.. from a second guest and takes into account that the single person isn't using as much as 2 people. that would be extremely fair. I would also think they would see a sharp increase of early bookings as well since I know a large portion of solo's tend to wait for the Tuesday specials.

Yes, there are couples who spend less than singles, but that is probably not the norm. I am sure there are also singles who don't spend much on board, either. The cruise line doesn't plan their entire fleet based on the anecdotal evidence of one couple( although if they think you are typical, it would certainly cause them to raise their rates!)

Andrew

Absolutely right. DH took a solo cruise before we met, and tells me he had a lovely large stateroom all to himself. He also says he had a big bar bill, but nowher enear what a couple would have spent, as he didn't do any excursions or specialty restaurants because he was by himself.

But it's all irrelevant in the end, as cruise lines don't make their decisions based on what Mr A or Mr & Mrs C may spend in comparison to one another, they realise that, on average, two people will spend more on board than one person!

DH and I essentially did that once on Royal Caribbean. I was thinking of booking a JS and calculated the price. Then I calculated the price of a balcony cabin with a connecting windowless cabin (an odd combo that exists on a few ships). With a relatively low single supplement (depending upon how you calculate it, I think it was 160%) and after subtracting the C&A balcony discount for one cabin, the connecting cabins (as if two solos) were cheaper than a JS (booked as couple). And I got shareholder OBC for the inside cabin. So, in December we had lots of space and two bathrooms for ten nights.

That was very smart of you. I will have to be on the look out for solo deals. Thanks.

Are the "solo" deals advertised? Are they common for Celebrity?

That was very smart of you. I will have to be on the look out for solo deals. Thanks.

Be careful, the solo cruisers may get upset that you are taking two of their deals.:rolleyes:

I am a solo cruiser, on a regular basis. No, they are not common.

Sometimes they offer 150%-175% Supplements on the Tues Specials.

But I can tell you first hand, it is normally 200% on Celebrity.

I no longer look at the supplement anyway, I look at the total price

of the cruise and if it is within my budget. I sail solo by choice and

the price (for me) is so worth it....I have lived on my own for years

and sharing a cabin? No thanks;)....having my own space is a

priority. It is all about what is important to the individual.

solo deals as far as I have seen are only available on the Tuesday special. and normally they only drop 200% supplement to 175%. sometimes they do 150% but its not too common

I wish I could help, but that is the only time I sailed nominally as a solo. I do not expect pricing to work out that way again, but you never know.

Be careful, the solo cruisers may get upset that you are taking two of their deals.:rolleyes:

I imagine they might just feel that way. And if single supplements are very low, some couples would get connecting cabins, upsetting solos and families at the same time. Not easily done!

Thank you for all your answers. The Tuesday specials has been the only place that I have seen them lower.

These specials tend to be 'last minute' type offers or after final payment at least, I suppose it makes it very difficult to plan something to far into the future.:D

Archived