Texas finally gets its year round Ship

Cruise industry news just released an article that Galveston will have the Navigator for year round cruises.

They heard our cries now lets just keep the thing stocked so they do not take it away again. RCCL has needed a summer ship in galveston for too long. I was tired of spending my money at Carnival.

Could careless about the iternary just get me on a cruise ship.

Called to check whether or not to change some reservations to the Navigator for the same dates in 2014. After hearing the pricing there is no way I will change. Just be prepared for initial sticker shock. Example our Freedom cruise in May of 2014 is over $600 less than the Navigator pricing and that is comparing a D1 on the Freedom to an E2 on the Navigator. Hopefully the pricing adjusts.

Ouch! We don't have to fly so that will help some and havea place to stay for free the night before the cruise. I do love the idea of floor to ceiling windows in the OV rooms. We are not OV people but may try it if the prices are too high for balconys. Any one know when we can book directly without a TA?

Called to check whether or not to change some reservations to the Navigator for the same dates in 2014. After hearing the pricing there is no way I will change. Just be prepared for initial sticker shock. Example our Freedom cruise in May of 2014 is over $600 less than the Navigator pricing and that is comparing a D1 on the Freedom to an E2 on the Navigator. Hopefully the pricing adjusts.

I've always found pricing from Galveston to be higher than Florida across the board...it's not just Royal Caribbean.

We booked Navigator late last fall for Feb 2014, the first 7 day cruise after the refurb. The price for a balcony at that point was a fairly typical RCI balcony price for a 7 day Caribbean cruise. Since then I've watched the prices for that cruise steadily rise into the stratosphere until as of yesterday it said Not Available for balconies, so it's apparently just about sold out. People obviously want to be on a newly refurbished ship. However I just checked late April 2014 and the prices are a little higher than we're paying but not outrageous. So I suspect that when they open bookings for May 2014 on, the best strategy would be to jump on it pretty early for the best price and not wait around for deals that may not come. Texans (and others within driving distance of Galveston) increasingly love to cruise. Now if we could just get a few longer cruise options with more varied itineraries (which is why our last 2 cruises were on Princess out of Ft Lauderdale)...:)

I've always found pricing from Galveston to be higher than Florida across the board...it's not just Royal Caribbean.

A compliment to Galveston .

If carnival reducing pricing

We shall see????

How did they earn it? :rolleyes:
By booking enough cruises & spending money onboard for RCI to feel the port is worthy of a ship based there year round. From my observations on this board over the years, it seems most cruisers out of Galveston are from Texas - hence, they (Texas) earned a ship there year round.

When I called this morning, my original intention was to switch to the May 4th sailing, but then I realized it was only a 6 day, so I asked about the next sailing. The price I was quoted was the same for a May sailing as it is for the cruises in March & April (with the exception of Spring Break and Easter).

I'm sure prices for the summer months when school's out will be higher!:rolleyes:

Thank you again..:)

By booking enough cruises & spending money onboard for RCI to feel the port is worthy of a ship based there year round. From my observations on this board over the years, it seems most cruisers out of Galveston are from Texas - hence, they (Texas) earned a ship there year round.

Just saw this on another thread and could it really be true?

"From Cruise Industry News

Royal Caribbean International announced today that it is basing 3,114-guest Navigator of the Seas year-round from the Texas port city of Galveston. The Voyager-class ship that first introduced ice skating at sea will sail seven-night western Caribbean itineraries after emerging from an extensive drydock revitalization in February 2014

During her drydock, signature Royal Caribbean features, such as the FlowRider surf simulator and dining venues like Giovanni’s Table, Park Café and Izumi Asian Cuisine will be added."

And it is going to sail out of Galveston? HOLY CARP, I am one happy cruiser right now - WOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOO :D

Good answer. We have only cruised out of Galveston once but had a great time. As some said mostly Texans on those ships and maybe that's a good reason why it was so much fun. :)

And it's FINALLY up on RCI website!

But just checked deck plans (no change) and the itineraries aren't up yet past April 2014....at least, not on the website. Hopefully, soon.

Who knows, Ms. Cindy, perhaps our paths will cross again! :D

VR,

T Lex

And it's FINALLY up on RCI website!

But just checked deck plans (no change) and the itineraries aren't up yet past April 2014....at least, not on the website. Hopefully, soon.

Who knows, Ms. Cindy, perhaps our paths will cross again! :D

VR,

T Lex

I'm just glad I didn't get bad intel...I would have had to change my CC user name!;)

Archived