Outdoor movies

JaneyLynn

Which ships have the outdoor movies?

I've been on Carnival 6 times and have always been on the smaller ships....my wonderful BF has offered to finance a B2B2B in order for me to make platinum before the deadline (we are booked on the Elation in Sept so that will be the 10th). I'm spoiled I know :cool: He's not fond of cruising and is going to let me take a GF with.... so I figured being on the same ship for at least 9 days I'd like to go on one with things I've yet to experience... and the outdoor movies are the one thing I want. I loved going to drive-ins when I was a child so it will be like a blast from the past.

I don't know what class of ships have them, but I do know the Freedom and the Liberty have them. It is a "jumbo-tron" on the Lido deck. Some people like to sit in the hot tubs and watch the movie.

The Dream has them. When we cruised two weeks ago, they were playing "A League of Their Own," "Back to the Future," and "Brave" among others. Each outdoor movie night had a theme...family nite, romance, etc. They had two show times and the earlier one allows most kids to view. It was super fun watching movies and eating late night snacks like brownies and cookies while drinking hot cocoa. Brought back drive-in theater memories for sure! :)

I enjoyed the outdoor movies on Triumph. One night was two James Bond movies (Dr. No and Die Another Day), another was the first two Pirates of the Caribbean movies, and the last night was Sunday Night Football :)

You won't find them on the Fantasy or Spirit class ships.

That is true, but a few dim bulbs at Carnival did give it an attempt.

During the same week, Sensation and Inspiration both saw the construction of a frame for their pool deck screens. Measuring, cutting, soldering, painting . . . and then the installation of the screen material during the morning of debarkation/embarkation.

Carnival Caper (the name at the time) listed a movie for late-night enjoyment around the pool. Everything had been thought out in the planning, with the 'minor' exception of wind resistance.

Immediately during sailaway on both ships, the material began to tear, and eventually become completely destroyed within two hours. This prompted more cutting and painting, and numerous people (passengers and crew) saying, "Well, now, that didn't go quite like we thought it would." :rolleyes:

By the next sailing, you'd never know the futile attempt was ever made. :o

Torn%20Screen-XL.jpg

It looks like you're going to have to cruise for at least 14 days if you want to be on a ship with a MUTS......I think the Victory sails 4 and 5 day alternating itineraries.....All other ships are 6 and 7 day cruises (i.e. lots more money for a B2B2B)

This was one of our favorite things to do on the Conquest! The only problem was that it was so relaxing after a yummy meal and a day full of DODs by the pool that we usually fell asleep and woke up as the movie was over! LOL I have been looking at cruises for this fall and it is a must for us!

So, I see that we will have the outdoor movies this August on the Freedom. That'll be one more thing to look forward to.

We've only had the "Movies Under the Stars" once on the Golden Princess in Alaska. And it does not really work in Alaska, TOO COLD.

thanks everyone for the replies!!

okgirl I had a feeling they'd be longer cruises... I'm going to see if I can get creative and possibly do a B2B on one ship and switch to another in the same port. I see a spread sheet in my future LOL

I wish there was a way to know what movies they were going to play before you cruised. I would imagine they switch them up. We are sailing Glory next month and this will be a first on this class of ship with an outside movie :)

L

I wish there was a way to know what movies they were going to play before you cruised. I would imagine they switch them up. We are sailing Glory next month and this will be a first on this class of ship with an outside movie :)

L

A good way is to watch for reviews of the ship the week before you cruise .

...The movies are great to watch, but, IMHO, there is nothing better than watching an NFL Playoff game or the NCAA Final Four Men's Basketball in the evening!

...Loads of people out on deck and, no matter which team you're rooting for, everybody has a great time!

I haven't heard that they don't show movies on the shorter itineraries. Can anyone else confirm this. We specifically chose the victory for the MUTS. :eek:

I believe the point being made was that the ships that tend to do the shorter itineraries don't have the big movie screens on deck. Since the Victory has one, they will be showing movies.

I believe the point being made was that the ships that tend to do the shorter itineraries don't have the big movie screens on deck. Since the Victory has one, they will be showing movies.

The reason is not shorter itins, it's older ships that can't have the muts installed. Does not fit.

The Triumph is listed as having movies and it does 4 and 5 day cruises year round out of Galveston.

...The movies are great to watch, but, IMHO, there is nothing better than watching an NFL Playoff game or the NCAA Final Four Men's Basketball in the evening!

...Loads of people out on deck and, no matter which team you're rooting for, everybody has a great time!

Gotta agree with that. Booked 2 cruises to coincide with the Super Bowl.

No better way to watch the game.:)

Bill

Gotta agree with that. Booked 2 cruises to coincide with the Super Bowl.

No better way to watch the game.:)

Bill

Have not done that, and it would be fun to watch on the big screen. Was it packed outside watching?

Have not done that, and it would be fun to watch on the big screen. Was it packed outside watching?

Wall to wall people. The crew came around with different snacks during the game. People had their jerseys on and my buddy had his face painted up. lol

Bill

Archived