Bringing your own tray for buffet? - Solstice -

kon000

If it makes things easier for the family, thats all that matters. Traveling on a cruise with toddlers and babies has a whole differently set of challenges than traveling as adults, why not offer constructive suggestions rather than criticism of an idea that might not be exactly what you would do in your current adult circumstances?

Every time I see something posted like this, I immediately read: "oh, it's another ME person....I'm the only one who counts."

Yes trays may make it easier for you and it also may make it much easier for you to spill food on someone (or the floor) as you either try to balance it precariously on the counter while reaching for something...or try to maneuver it onto the counter blocking others from getting anywhere near you.

The buffet area is NOT designed for trays on the s-ships....there are celebrity people there who will help you, if you really need help. Live with the system and don't try to justify why YOU can be different.

These comments do not apply to those who need to use a tray on a wheelchair or similar....but if you are mobile enough to carry a plate, then carry a plate.

I don't like that there are no trays..but I live with it when I use the buffet which I try to avoid for health and seating reasons. I use the aqua spa, eat in the dining room for breakfast/lunch (or aqua spa or grill for lunch) and we now book Aqua to dine in Blu for breakfast/dinner although we are elite so we could go to the elite breakfast as well....but we only do that for some good coffee after we've eaten breakfast somewhere else.

Are you trying to say that I am making up stories?:rolleyes:

OP is not trying to break a law. She is not going to bring on board something illegal. She is going to bring "a tray" (just a tray!!!) that will make her trip easier and more enjoyable. Stop teaching her what cruise line to choose or how to order her food!

I didn't take the question that way at all. I think the poster is genuinely interested in your experience and how you managed.

I didn't take the question that way at all. I think the poster is genuinely interested in your experience and how you managed.

I agree' date=' I don't think that there was anything negative intended. But given the number of caustic posts on the board of late, perhaps it's to be expected that some people are becoming very defensive. Unfortunate...

[/size']

I agree, I don't think that there was anything negative intended. But given the number of caustic posts on the board of late, perhaps it's to be expected that some people are becoming very defensive. Unfortunate...

The OP's question has been answered, reanswered, parsed, and reanswered again and again. There is no right answer...just opinions. The OP has enough of those, including mine.....it's now up to the OP to decide what they want to do.

The OP's question has been answered, reanswered, parsed, and reanswered again and again. There is no right answer...just opinions. The OP has enough of those, including mine.....it's now up to the OP to decide what they want to do.

I'm simply agreeing with another contributor. I see no shortage of comments from you, so I don't know why you feel it necessary to limit others from expressing their views. If you feel that there is no value to be added at this point, perhaps you could just pass by this thread.

No need for this type of posting. We are all entitled to speak here. Or so I understood.

seems to me that an easy solution now would be to make them available for those who would like to use them, while those who prefer not to can continue to forego their use.

you are just too sensible!!:d

There is very little on the room service menu that would appeal to the tastes of an 18 month old, ditto for Bistro on Five.

Scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, cereal, oatmeal, toast, panckaes, bagels, croissants, fresh fruit and yogurt can all be found on the breakfast room service menu and these items appeal to most toddlers.

Bistro on 5 has soups, sandwiches and crepes. I know of many 18 month old kids that will eat these. I am sure if you were to ask the waitstaff they will accommodate your child.

Are you trying to say that I am making up stories?:rolleyes:

OP is not trying to break a law. She is not going to bring on board something illegal. She is going to bring "a tray" (just a tray!!!) that will make her trip easier and more enjoyable. Stop teaching her what cruise line to choose or how to order her food!

Sorry you took it that way. I was asking how you were able to handle a tray and several dishes when they was no place to put down the tray since you shared your story about bringing and using a try on a Solstice Class ship. So, was it a two person operation?

We will sail on Solstice Aus/NZ in Nov this year with our 18months old daughter.

I saw posts that there's no tray in the buffet and food islands are wide spread... wondering if it's good idea to bring our own tray.

Since the little one would be too little to hold her plate, either DH or myself need to be with daughter at the table while we get our food and drinks...

Is it odd to see someone bring own tray?

If your daughter is 18 months what you do is find a table and either you or your husband stay with her then you go get her lunch for her. There would be no reason for a child that young to be trying to navigate the various food stations. You don't need a tray. :)

Sorry you took it that way. I was asking how you were able to handle a tray and several dishes when they was no place to put down the tray since you shared your story about bringing and using a try on a Solstice Class ship. So, was it a two person operation?

That's what I'm thinking. You would need one person to hold the tray while the other person loads it up.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We have eaten in buffets all over the world, breakfast, lunch and dinner.I cant remember EVER having a tray apart from very casual lunchtime meals in apartment stores, makes for more relaxed dinning , starter, entrée, pudding. More like a full service meal, much more civilized

I would say that very few true buffets that I've been to over my life had trays. Cafeterias yes, but buffets no.

In a cafeteria you start at the beginning of the line, get a tray, put everything for your entire meal on the tray as you pass by each section always in a single file line, and no line jumping!!

I've been to lots of wedding dinners served buffet style, buffet brunches and fancy buffets at nicer restaurants and none ever had trays.

At a buffet, you get a plate and go to serving areas, sometimes in a line and sometimes not, to get your items.

Celebrity's older ships started out more as a cafeteria line and then over time switched to more of a buffet arrangement in the same space. This made if less comfortable to jump from serving station to serving station due to the old cafeteria line passing the stations. Lines were long and there is a lot of waiting.

Celebrity's M class ships are definitely a buffet. No trays, large plates, and about a dozen serving station islands with most of them having different options on different sides. At busy times there might be a line of a small handful of people (say 3 to 5) at a popular serving station but for the most part you can just walk up to any serving station and be served the item offered there and usually without waiting in a line. Very short lines, definitely a buffet and definitely not a cafeteria.

I guess the cafeteria approach is preferable to some, but I prefer the true buffet approach. I'd like to leave cafeterias and trays someplace in my past along with being a student a public schools and eating at employee cafeterias.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anybody tried carrying a plate of food with one hand while holding a cane with the other. I understand the plates are too heavy for some folks. Even serving is difficult while holding a cane.

I did not see crew standing around to help carry items when I took my last Celebrity cruise.

Mobility problems make it difficult to return repeatedly to pick up this and that, then the cup or the water.

Extra crew in the buffet seems a necessity for some. A tray is necessary for others.

jls

Has anybody tried carrying a plate of food with one hand while holding a cane with the other. I understand the plates are too heavy for some folks. Even serving is difficult while holding a cane.

I did not see crew standing around to help carry items when I took my last Celebrity cruise.

Mobility problems make it difficult to return repeatedly to pick up this and that, then the cup or the water.

Extra crew in the buffet seems a necessity for some. A tray is necessary for others.

jls

I would rather see someone holding a cane in one hand and a plate in the other than seeing them try to balance a tray with one hand.

Crew should have been there to help....

alternatively, the MDR is a wonderful place for lunch and you are served....

I would rather see someone holding a cane in one hand and a plate in the other than seeing them try to balance a tray with one hand.

Crew should have been there to help....

alternatively, the MDR is a wonderful place for lunch and you are served....

Yes, crew should be there.

Try holding a heavy Celebrity plate extended from body with thumb on edge and fingers under plate.

Now, put plate on a tray and rest tray w/plate on forearm and hold edge of tray with fingers curled.

jls

Try holding a heavy Celebrity plate extended from body with thumb on edge and fingers under plate.

Now, put plate on a tray and rest tray w/plate on forearm and hold edge of tray with fingers curled.

jls

I don't want to envision either....you should find someone to help rather than having a high risk of spilling your food on the floor or someone else.

jls

I agree. In the cruises I've taken, there were barely enough crew to help out. Even tables remained dirty for a while.

I also agree that having a tray would be more convenient. You explained it very well. Some posters claim that it is easier to carry 2 heavy plates (as the OP requires) than 2 plates on a tray - that I'm still trying to figure out.

I did not see crew standing around to help carry items when I took my last Celebrity cruise. [emphasis added]

jls

Once upon a time there was staff standing around to carry trays for anyone who wanted them to. Those days are gone and for the most part the staff have other duties in addition to the type of assistance you need so most of the time they will all look busy. But they will help on request. This does not mean anyone has to struggle if they need help. But it does mean those needing assitance will probably have to ask for assistance in order to receive any. Don't be shy, they will help if you ask.

One evening in the buffet, I put food on my plate then didn't have the strength to carry it. I put the plate down, just too tired maybe due to a full day touring, or just plain too weary for some other reason. I stood there wondering what I should do. There was nobody in sight to ask for help.

Out of nowhere a man working in the buffet came to my rescue.

He picked up the plate and ushered me to a table. In short time, he delivered not only wrapped silverware but also a glass of water and asked if I need anything. Then, he just vanished.

What a prince. I couldn't remember his face. Nor did I tip him.

The room was fairly empty as it was evening. After that, I knew someone was there even if I didn't see, someone would help if I needed assistance.

I had excellent customer service!

-Marisa

• 1 month later...

Has anyone had recent assistance with food or drinks in the buffet.

Should I take a tray or borrow a high chair on wheels to carry my lunch to a table? Sort of a stretch, of course.

But, wondering if help is readily available.

-Marisa

Has anyone had recent assistance with food or drinks in the buffet.

Should I take a tray or borrow a high chair on wheels to carry my lunch to a table? Sort of a stretch, of course.

But, wondering if help is readily available.

-Marisa

Can only speak for the Eclipse... help is ALWAYS available. Sometimes have to ask a Supervisor.....but often someone just comes forward.

The plates are very heavy, but often I just load BOTH meals onto one plate and carry an empty plate under the full one. Then I can use both hands to carry the plate and divide the meal up once I reach the table.

Buffets are not my style of eating anyway. Much prefer the Dining Room when its open for lunch. On Cunard, the MDR is open every day for lunch. Great service.

It is true that for mobility impaired passengers, the old method used on M class ships of a buffet line and a tray was much more preferable. We have traveled multiple times with 80+ year old relatives (one with a cane, and one fairly frail and legally blind) and they really struggled with the newer S class model. Of course we would help them, but if we were not around they often had a very hard time finding staff to assist, whereas on M class they just pushed the tray along and when they got to the end there were all kind of crew members ready to help carry the trays and find a spot for them.

For people without mobility issues, truthfully I think bringing a tray is overkill. At no place in the dining area are you so far from the food that it is a big deal to quickly go back over and pick up plate #2. When we are on S class ships with our elderly relatives, we help with their plates, get them settled, then go back and take care of ourselves. A little inconvenience but just that - little. That said, if you really think you need one, then bring one and don't worry about whether it is odd or what people think. Just keep in mind two points - the buffet areas are not designed with a space to place your tray while you fill it, and in order to get meals for you and your child you would need a fairly large tray which would be even harder to find a place for at the various stations. But you could always bring one and then if it doesn't work out, just leave it in your room.

Interesting dialogue on this subject. Funny what sets different people off! I might consider a tray, as I was pretty disappointed to hear that they weren't available. And it's not because I need multiple courses. Instead, I like my food separate. My favorite breakfast on a cruise is oatmeal (in its own bowl), a variety of fruit (in its own bowl), milk carton and a glass (since I hate to drink milk from a carton), yogurt, water, coffee, and a hard boiled egg. SO, I can try to carry that in one trip, or make several trips while my sweetheart eats alone at the table! Not a very romantic start to our day. So, okay, we can order room service. But, we usually are ready to eat right after our morning workout, and can't imagine waiting 45 minutes for delivery. Guess we will compromise - and weigh the experience when we make our next cruise vacation decision!

For people without mobility issues, truthfully I think bringing a tray is overkill. At no place in the dining area are you so far from the food that it is a big deal to quickly go back over and pick up plate #2.

Well, yes and no.

I liked the previous set up more. When I recently sailed on Connie - post 'Solsticisation' one of the weakest areas was the food.

On many occasions I had to do laps around the entire buffet area - for some reason they have also closed off one of the internal middle doors as well - to get certain supplies that are only in one place. e.g. They only had a few types of cereal, and only one side would have certain varieties left e.g. Granola. Or yoghurt. Even getting spoons was crazily hit and miss. There was no consistency, and it was pot luck whether you got a spoon in your bundle or not. They also didn't have spare spoons available. I think one day I ran through about 8 bundles before getting a spoon!

So not all of that disorganisation will be alleviated by having a tray, but equally if you need to carry everything to ensure you have it instead of running all over the place, a tray is essential.

Archived