Reassurance, Please.

writer100

We are contemplating an August cruise on Insignia. We have never sailed in such small cabins with, reportedly, really cramped bathrooms. The shrunken cabin size I can deal with. The bathroom... (Let me add that we recently had our first O cruise on Riviera, and we are now converts.) Compounding this a bit is that all the reviews of Insignia have been pulled from cc, perhaps because she is currently under charter elsewhere. I did check some Nautica reviews which loved the O experience but not unreservedly the bathrooms or cabins.

On Riviera, I occasionally used the men's shower in the spa area, which was great. Does Insignia have a similar shower in the spa available to anyone who works out? Do any of you remember where the 110volt outlets are on Insignia--probably either alongside the bed or near the desk?

I don't want to jump to a PH3, which effectively doubles the price and puts us back at Seabourn territory. (Well, not quite, given their huge jump in 2014 pricing.) And are the bathrooms in PH3 much larger than in a B1?

We don't have as much timing flexibility as I might wish, even though we are planning quite far ahead. The reason is that She Who Must Be Obeyed is determined to see the fields of lavender in Provence in full bloom, and that is a fairly narrow window.

Let me greedily ask for yet more advice. If anyone has experienced a terrific driver or local tour company for Aix en Provence or Avignon or that general area, contact information would be most gratefully received. And also a favorite hotel, perhaps.

Thank you in advance.

Yes the bathroom are smaller on the R-ships

I do prefer the shower except for the friendly curtains ;)

At least if you drop the soap you can pick it up without getting out of the shower

YMMV

As I recall there are 2 x 110 outlets on the desk

The cabins yes are slightly smaller but very comfortable for us

It all depends on what you are used to & how well you adapt ;)

Lyn

And are the bathrooms in PH3 much larger than in a B1?

Yes, the Penthouse bathrooms are much larger than those of a standard cabin on the R ships.

Oceania_Regatta_PH2_Cabin_5.JPG

This is the shower of a Penthouse 2 on the Regatta.

Writer100,

Please remember that once you factor in tips and alcohol you are in Seabourn territory in a PH on O. The great thing about O is that you can save money if you are willing to give up the extra space.

Do a search here on CC. You will find Sylvie DiCristo is the one that is mentioned again and again! She is OUTSTANDING!!! We loved her!:D

I second Sylvie DiChristo, we had a wonderful day with her.

FYI:

Sylvie suggested I contact Catherine for tours of Provence. We were able to visit Avignon, Le Baux, and St. Remy. You may set your own itinerary, of course. We found Catherine knowledgeable, flexible, and accommodating.

You are right CintiPam, I forgot that we had two different guides that cruise! Catherine took us to Aix en Provence, Avignon, Les Baux de Provence, and St. Remy. Sylvie took us to Nice, St.Paul de Vence and Monte Carlo. Catherine was very good, but, like I said, we loved Sylvie!

Do a search here on CC. You will find Sylvie DiCristo is the one that is mentioned again and again! She is OUTSTANDING!!! We loved her!:D

Thank you and everyone else for the referrals. My manager, err, partner, is sending out queries as we speak. We plan on spending several days in Nice also.

Again, thank you for the insights.

If still interested in a local hotel I can recommend the Artea in Aix. This was the family home of the famous french composer Darius Milhaud, who happened to be one of my teachers in college. Due to my interest in staying there, we ended up with a group of 16. This is only a 2 star but the rooms are comfortable, there is a nice breakfast -- also parking at €8 per night in a private garage around the corner -- and it's a great location for walking around town.

NOT fancy, but everyone just loved it. Which made me feel better since I only booked it because of my connection with Milhaud, and everyone else followed along.

Mura

If still interested in a local hotel I can recommend the Artea in Aix. This was the family home of the famous french composer Darius Milhaud, who happened to be one of my teachers in college. Due to my interest in staying there, we ended up with a group of 16. This is only a 2 star but the rooms are comfortable, there is a nice breakfast -- also parking at €8 per night in a private garage around the corner -- and it's a great location for walking around town.

NOT fancy, but everyone just loved it. Which made me feel better since I only booked it because of my connection with Milhaud, and everyone else followed along.

Mura

Milhaud's Jewish oeuvre, folk songs and the Friday Night Service are some of our favorites many of which my DH has sung. You were so lucky to have studied with him. DH had the good fortune to attend a master class given by Shostakovich at Peabody. (Sorry to be so off topic)

Orchestrapal,

As a freshman in college one of the first Milhaud pieces I ever heard was the Friday Night Service. It remains one of my favorite works by ANY composer.

And he was a dear, dear man.

Mura

Archived