Staten Island to Manhattan Cruise Port (Breakaway)

mtsnd1900

My wife and I are scheduled on the Breakaway in 2014. It sets sail on aSunday. We have a place to stay in Staten Island on Saturday night, near the Ferry port, and can leave our car there for the duration (at no charge.)

My question is this - What is the best way to get to the port the morning of the cruise?

Option 1. Taxi.

Option 2. Dropped off at the ferry, take the free ferry to Whitehall Terminal Manhattan (south), take subway to the vicinity of the cruiseport, walk from subway to the cruiseport. Going home - do the reverse, or taxi to WTM.

Option 3. Dropped off at the ferry, take the free ferry to Whitehall Terminal Manhattan (south), take a taxi to the terminal. Going home - do the reverse.

Option 4. Something a veteran / local can advise upon that is not mentioned above.

Variables:

1. How close is the subway from Whitehall?

2. How close is the subway from the cruiseport?

3. Taking suitcases on the subway - 1ea and a garment bag between us, total of 3 - is this to ambitious or consuming?

4. Subway / traffic on a Sunday would presumably be light on this non-holiday weekend.

Thank you in advance!

I'd pick #2 or 3. The estimated cab fare including tip is under $30 from South Ferry to the pier. However the South Ferry subway Station is accessible, so you could ride uptown on the #1 train to another accessible station like 59th St Columbus Circle and grab a cab.

I've taken luggage on the subway and found that the turnstiles are very narrow. The large stations that have the elevators are often confusing and the accessible way on or off a platform is not always convenient or obvious. The NY subway web site gives detailed locations of elevators, but it still sounds confusing for the casual traveler.

Thank you very much for the input - think that OPTION 3 - Ferry to Taxi, skip the subway all together - will be the way to go....

Have one other option we are looking into, which would actually involve taking a bus from Providence and staying right in mid town, but wanted to start my planning on this course of action.

Thank you again!

Thank you very much for the input - think that OPTION 3 - Ferry to Taxi, skip the subway all together - will be the way to go....

Have one other option we are looking into, which would actually involve taking a bus from Providence and staying right in mid town, but wanted to start my planning on this course of action.

Thank you again!

I would take #3.Make sure you move to the front of the ferry and take the downstairs exit.It will put you at ground level when you exit the ferry.Taxi's will be available as you exit.It's worth the extra expense to take a cab rather than the subway.

Do not try to take the subway from South Ferry. The new South Ferry station that opened in 2009 was destroyed by flooding from Hurricane Sandy and won't reopen for many years. Last month the MTA recommissioned the more than 100 year old South Ferry loop station and that station is not handicapped accessible...which means there is no elevator that can be used by someone carrying luggage to get downstairs to the tracks. The old station platform is also very narrow and only the first five cars of the usual 10 car train can open their doors for passengers to exit or enter the train...making it even more difficult for someone carrying luggage.

I'd recommend taking a taxi from the ferry terminal to the cruise terminal.

DO NOT take the subway on teh weekend. Construction and detours will ruin your vacation before it begins!

I recommend taking a cab, the cab generally takes 20-30 mins to the cruise terminal on weekends. I live in coney island right across the verazanno bridge and can get into the city for work (grand central area, 5 avenues away from cruise terminal) within 25 minutes driving.

However, when you take a cab on the weekends make sure you let the driver know to take the battery tunnel (aka Huge Carey Tunnel) because the bridge is closed some mornings.

Thank you very much everyone for the insight. We will look to take the ferry across and then a taxi up to the port. Our intent is to get there early and be ready when they start excepting passengers. We are still exploring a second option which would involve taking a bus down on the day before, to stay right in mid-town, for which I would just have a taxi take us right there.

lessons learned: No luggage on subway, and take battery tunnel if necessary. Taxi or car service is optimal.

Thank you everyone..

Archived