4 day vs 7 day

angel24_ga

What is your preference? I have always done 7 day cruises however I am booking a 4 day for my 5 year olds first cruise (just in case), I am a little worried it will feel too short.

For those of you who do both, do you prefer one over the other?

It will definitely feel shorter. By the time you feel completely in cruise mode, it's over. I do 4 nights only when pressed for time (plus the ships doing short cruises are usually not as nice).

5 nights mimic the feeling of a 7 night cruise a bit better.

I went with a 5 day on my sister's first cruise, since we didnt know how she would do (she has seizures and such, so we didnt want a 7 day).

I think 5 days is good .. 4 days seems a little too short.

5 nights mimic the feeling of a 7 night cruise a bit better.

Yes, this is how I feel.

I've done 7 & 8 day cruises but I do have a 5 day coming up because it is just a quickie getaway to unwind after a busy peak season.

Then have a 4 day family reunion cruise and if you knew my family you might say that it's a long time. However, there will be many 1st time cruisers aboard and it's a quick Thurs - Mon Itinerary.

Finally in Oct an 11 day cruise on the Legend from NY to Tampa. My birthday cruise....

All of that to say, go with what your heart is telling you..

We have done many 3-4-5 day cruises. Living close to many ports it make's a nice little get away. We prefer 6-7 days but with our job's those are harder to do. I would never do less than 7 if we had to travel (fly) to any port, Just not worth it in my opinion.

5 day cruises seem a lot longer than 4 day cruises even though it's only 1 day difference. I'm not sure why. But we feel like 5 days was at least a vacation but 4 day was a quick get away.

No more 3 days for us, maybe age has caught up with us but just 2 much work for such a short time

We have done 4, 10 day plus and those are the best but a lot harder to do with both of us working.

my first cruise was a 4 day. I prefer 7-8 days since the vacation is longer. but I'd do a sort one and combine it with a land vacation. we did a 5 day last year and other than just being short it was nice to get away for a long weekend.

What is your preference? I have always done 7 day cruises however I am booking a 4 day for my 5 year olds first cruise (just in case), I am a little worried it will feel too short.

No way we'd ever do a 4 or even a 5 day cruise because we have to fly to the port. We're now doing B2B to make it 14 days at sea.

However, if you're able to drive to the port, then your suggestion of a 4 day might be fine. With packing, etc. 4 days just seems way too short.

We did a 5 day cruise once, when we had to be in town for New Years, but wanted to have the kids back for the return to school. It seemed so short when compared to a 7 day cruise!! I wouldn't do it again. If you factor in flight costs, it just isn't worth it to do less than 7 days. I would actually like an 8 night.... that one extra night would be so nice! :)

7 or more days is ideal for ANY vacation. However, my first cruise was a 3 day and it was enjoyable enough [for a 1st timer to get his feet wet]. With the recent flight costs I don't think I would fly to do a short cruise again though, unless it was paired with a land-based vacation for the same time. [My parents are on the Elation in August for 5 days but are also spending 4 nights in NOLA pre-trip to explore the city and make the flight worth it...9 days total for a vacation is a good amount of time]. We are taking a 4 day out of Boston next month but since there is no flying involved I feel it is worth it. Boston and NYC are really the only ports where it is worth it for me to take a short cruise from.

Of course it depends on where you live as well. Since I am in New England there are numerous options for a quick getaway that are within driving distance [NYC, Philly, Canada, other spots in N.E., etc.] so flying somewhere for a short cruise "just to get away" is not as attractive to me as it may be for someone who is in a more rural part of the country.

We do five and four day cruises. By the time I drive to a port and spend the night, then drive back and spend the night on the way back-- it ends up being almost a week gone from home and work. Since we can't cruise out of Mobile, the closest port for us is Jacksonville so we end up spend the night on the way down and on the way back home.

We are cruising out of Port Canaveral on a four day cruise in July. We will spend the night in south Georgia and visit family, then drive down the next day and stay at a hotel near the port for a cruise and park package. After we get off the ship we will spend another night in South georgia and visit family again. So our four day cruise ends up being about 7 days away from home. That's enough time for me to be away.

If we were flying in, we would probably go on a seven day cruise, but with driving in and visiting family four and five day cruises works for our family.

We did our first four-day last year from Tampa to Cozumel. We really didn't know what to expect at first. It was a blast. We Went in thinking it was going to be party cruise. And that's what we did. We're in our mid 40s and had a great great time in Cozumel. It felt much longer. We made the best of it. Going on a 8 day this year For our 20th anniversary.

I've only done one of each. The seven day seemed just right. The four day was over way too soon. My next cruise is a five day, mainly for the itinerary, and I'm hoping it's not going to feel like it's over too quick.

We do five and four day cruises. By the time I drive to a port and spend the night, then drive back and spend the night on the way back-- it ends up being almost a week gone from home and work. Since we can't cruise out of Mobile, the closest port for us is Jacksonville so we end up spend the night on the way down and on the way back home.

We are cruising out of Port Canaveral on a four day cruise in July. We will spend the night in south Georgia and visit family, then drive down the next day and stay at a hotel near the port for a cruise and park package. After we get off the ship we will spend another night in South georgia and visit family again. So our four day cruise ends up being about 7 days away from home. That's enough time for me to be away.

If we were flying in, we would probably go on a seven day cruise, but with driving in and visiting family four and five day cruises works for our family.

we are in GA so we will be driving to Port Canaveral as well. Where are you staying for the park and ride?

Thanks everyone for all of your thoughts! I am worried it is going to feel too short :(

I am taking a 5 yr old and a 73 yr old so I was afraid of going to long for them. Plus, I am paying for it as a Xmas gift for everyone:D

I definitely prefer 7 days for myself..... the longer the better BUT, I think with a young child that starting out with a 4 day cruise makes perfect sense. They don't have the same sense of time passing at that age and 4 days could be a VERY long time to your child. If all goes well and you both have a lot of fun then go for a longer future cruise.

I have never done a four day cruise

I have done 6, 7 and an 8 day cruise and loved them I prefer longer time on the ship and also its worthwhile for us as we live in the UK a four day cruise just would not be worth it in the airfare

Four day cruises would be too short for me in my humble opinion but I hope you have fun on your cruise

Our first cruise was a 5 day, because we weren't sure we would like it. Within a day of being onboard we wished we had booked a longer cruise. My last cruise was an 8 day which felt just long enough. Next one is a 12 day Baltic cruise. I'm sure I'll be worn out after that one, though, because it is port intensive and we have full day excursions planned in some of the ports. I just hope the 4 sea days are enough to keep me from wishing I had more vacation time when I return.

I have done both and liked them both the same. A 4 day with your child will be an awesome time. Go for it.

Archived