Celebrity Century's food standards must be low, all boring food.

Niche79

So we just got off the ship on Sunday, needless to say the food was less than appealing day after day. It was the exact same food in the buffet and we always had to have them give us the food we wanted, this is the first ship where we can just walk up and grab what we want. The lines were sometimes long too and never was there any tables open to eat near lunch so we always had to take it back to our room, never seen anything like that. On the final day in the dining room, we just gave our food back, ate desert, and just went upstairs and got real food. I always though Celebrity was amazing but this time the food was just very low quality and boring. Weve actually had better on Carnival cruises. :confused: I am thinking the money thing might be hitting Celebrity now and cutting back on the quality and the ammount you want is their way of saving money. My wife would get such small portions at the buffet and would say I dont want to ask for more and sound like some fat ass. I doubt we will take an older Celebrity ship again. Sad day in my book.

I think I saw the movie:

Woody Allen opened his film Annie Hall (1977) with:

“There’s an old joke - um… two elderly women are at a Catskill mountain resort, and one of ‘em says, ‘Boy, the food at this place is really terrible.’ The other one says, ‘Yeah, I know; and such small portions.’”

Sorry you were disappointed -- We did 15 days on the Century last month and found the food very good. Celebrity doesn't have self-service on hot items, but we didn't notice any undo lines. A lot of people think it adds a bit of class, less like Hometown Buffet :D

So we just got off the ship on Sunday, needless to say the food was less than appealing day after day. It was the exact same food in the buffet and we always had to have them give us the food we wanted, this is the first ship where we can just walk up and grab what we want. The lines were sometimes long too and never was there any tables open to eat near lunch so we always had to take it back to our room, never seen anything like that. On the final day in the dining room, we just gave our food back, ate desert, and just went upstairs and got real food. I always though Celebrity was amazing but this time the food was just very low quality and boring. Weve actually had better on Carnival cruises. :confused: I am thinking the money thing might be hitting Celebrity now and cutting back on the quality and the ammount you want is their way of saving money. My wife would get such small portions at the buffet and would say I dont want to ask for more and sound like some fat ass. I doubt we will take an older Celebrity ship again. Sad day in my book.

The food in the buffet was the exact same as that in the restaurant??

On the last day you gave your food back & went upstairs to get real food?? I thought the food was the same.

It was the first ship that you could just walk up & grab what you want, but the lines were too Lon???

So you couldn't get enough of the food that you did not like, but would not ask for more because they would think you are too fat???:confused::confused::confused:

Like Yogi says, "no one goes there anymore, it's too crowded".

I understand what you are saying and I agree with you. The food quality has been lowered, but to say it on this board you will get a lot of replies telling you there how good it was. I wonder if Celebrity has started it Celebrity Champions program and did RCCL did years ago were people were paid to say good things about RCCL. You just never know if it is happening again. It seems as you make a negative commet about Celebrity you always get someone who responds telling ours was great. It would not surprise me if this is happening again. And now your going to get responces telling you this is not happening.

I wonder if Celebrity has started it Celebrity Champions program and did RCCL did years ago were people were paid to say good things about RCCL.

Celebrity has its own version of "Breakfast of Champions". Whenever our own personal experiences vary greatly from a post we have a difficulty in believing that any cruise can be totally negative. We have commented on inconsistencies in Celebrity menus in the past but our recent cruises have been quite positive.

I am sorry that the OP's experience was not up to their expectations but one cannot condemn a whole cruiseline based on one negative experience.

As always one can vote with their pocket book and pick a ship or cruiseline more to one's liking.

I think the negatives to the OP's post are because he found fault with everything. Some of his observations/experiences may have been valid...he just took it too far.

Yes, there are some here who might want every post to be positive, but those folks are obvious because they overlook some of the valid complaints in their glowing effervescence. Most of the reaction here is mixed....as mine would be to this post.

yes, buffet food does not change...offset is that there is a pretty wide variety so it's pretty easy to eat different things every day.

yes, the tables get crowded....that's been true on every mass market ship we've ever been on...and it's one of the reasons we don't eat in the buffet for breakfast or lunch.

yes, at least on some cruises food is served rather than having a serving spoon so you can serve yourself. I find that a plus...I've seen too many serving spoons fall into the food after they've been handled by many folks...and so on. I view this as a plus...the OP views it as a minus.

Overall, it sounds like the OP had expectations that weren't met....but I think the expectations were the OP's, not something Celebrity advertised. Some of his observations are valid...others are shall we say "less so".

Sorry that the food was boring and not the quality you expected especially for lunch in the buffet.

I was on the Century for 15days this winter. On sea days I usually ate at Aqua Cafe or pool grill. Both venues had fresh food and many choices for lunch. Did you try these areas?

I loved the food in the MDR for dinner especially the appetizers, cold soups, salad selections and the chicken dishes.

But you now know that Carnival is more to your liking and new ships suit your cruise style.

Yawn.

Another whinge about buffet food.

Just wondering how creative your wife/husband is day after day back home in the kitchen.

Or that, how many buffets have you visited on land that have completely different menus every day...you do realise its a buffet and not a restaurant. The whole idea is to serve fast functional meals...not cordon bleu.

You do realise at a buffet you comtrol the portion sizes...you can go up and put more on your plate.

You do realise that as an adult...you can decide these things for yourself.

I've never seen the exact same food in the buffet as the MDR either.

Yes it is sad. But I'm not talking food. :rolleyes:

Oh and for that sad sad person that made references to 'champions'....i only ever cruise Celebrity once. Have travelled 2 star to 5 star across the world and many modes of transport and I can tell you the food on Celebrity is good, the presentation fine,and the service also fine. I don't need some 'programme' or back hander to understand the difference between good food prepared well and some unrealistic expectation.

OP, thank you for your posting. It is proof of how valid a recent thread called "Is the complaining more fun than the cruise?" happens to be http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1843298 . Yours is all complaints, all seemingly exaggerated, and not a single positive word in the entire thing. What a total waste of bandwidth! :rolleyes:

Some of his observations are valid...others are shall we say "less so".

Actually, some of his complaints don't even make sense. Such as this statement: "...and we always had to have them give us the food we wanted, this is the first ship where we can just walk up and grab what we want." First the complain about the buffet food, and then they claim that they sent the food in the MDR back and "went upstairs and had real food."

So, OP, what is it - "real" or "low quality and boring" food?

OP, thank you for your posting. It is proof of how valid a recent thread called "Is the complaining more fun than the cruise?" happens to be http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1843298 . Yours is all complaints, all seemingly exaggerated, and not a single positive word in the entire thing. What a total waste of bandwidth! :rolleyes:

Actually, some of his complaints don't even make sense. Such as this statement: "...and we always had to have them give us the food we wanted, this is the first ship where we can just walk up and grab what we want." First the complain about the buffet food, and then they claim that they sent the food in the MDR back and "went upstairs and had real food."

Careful, lest you be seen as a champion!:eek:

I think it's just a matter of typos, try this sentence and see if it makes more sense.

"this is the first ship where we can't just walk up and grab what we want."

but you probably realized that.

I think it's just a matter of typos, try this sentence and see if it makes more sense.

"this is the first ship where we can't just walk up and grab what we want."

but you probably realized that.

Yes, I realized that. But CC guidelines don't allow us to comment on spelling errors or typos, so I figured I'd pick at his statement instead. ;)

BTW: I have never been on a cruise where ALL the food was bad. Certainly some selections weren't to my tastes, but all of it barely edible? And no tables anywhere, so they ALWAYS had to take it back to their room to eat? Really? That makes me very suspicious of his entire rant.

"...and we always had to have them give us the food we wanted, this is the first ship where we can just walk up and grab what we want."

Should it read ""...and we always had to have them give us the food we wanted, this is the first ship where we can't just walk up and grab what we want."? Make more sense.

I have to say we were not thrilled with the food and service we recieved in the MDR on Constellation last autumn, and ended up eating in the buffet every night.

Richard

*sigh* another whinger. Honestly, if you cannot find enough variety between the roasts, salads, pasta, stir frys, sandwiches, curries and more......what is it that you want?

And as for the crew serving the food, that is one of the things I like about Century. The less grimy hands touching the food the better as far as I'm concerned

And as for the crew serving the food, that is one of the things I like about Century. The less grimy hands touching the food the better as far as I'm concerned

We like Carnival also but, -- once after several Celebrity cruises we were back on Carnival -- when we first saw people serving their own hot items it kinda of grossed us out. :)

Careful, lest you be seen as a champion!:eek:

I truly don't believe we'll ever see a "Champion" program again. It was a big time black eye for both Royal Caribbean and Cruise Critic. The person who made refererence to it was being a little bit paranoid.

I think it's pretty obvious that english is not the OP's native language, so allowances must be made, but even so, to have not enjoyed one single meal seems a bit extreme.

Why is it obvious English is not te native language?

I tend to agree with the OP. The quality has definately gone down but it has on most of the cruiselines although seems in my own opinion though, a bit more so on RCL & Celebrity (likely 'cause of the 'free' drinks for returning pax)...

That said I can not believe that NONE of the meals was good & no mention of dining at Muranos or Aqua Cafe?

The OP overdid the critique I believe...just a little :)

I truly don't believe we'll ever see a "Champion" program again. It was a big time black eye for both Royal Caribbean and Cruise Critic. The person who made refererence to it was being a little bit paranoid.

May have been but it can be most effective and beneficial..I personally believe it is likely still going on but in a different way & a bit more carefully perhaps...

Sorry but I do not see any 'paranoia' just realism!

Archived