First Time Oceania Question - Age?

pmcue

Hi, My wife is 55 and I am 47 and although we are well aware that we are not young, I am curious about the ages of cruisers on Oceania. Many of the "professional" reviews I read, they go out of there way to say that the cruisers are older. While I know each cruise has a different mix, I am curious if anyone can shed light on what to expect?

Hi, My wife is 55 and I am 47 and although we are well aware that we are not young, I am curious about the ages of cruisers on Oceania. Many of the "professional" reviews I read, they go out of there way to say that the cruisers are older. While I know each cruise has a different mix, I am curious if anyone can shed light on what to expect?

First of all, you are NOT old. We are 68 and 71 and age is just a number. I find that on longer cruises you will find "older cruises" just because they have more time to spend.

I think in depends on the trip, how long and where it is. We just were on a ten day Carib trip on the Riveria and altho I am a poor judge of age I guess the average was 55 to 60. I think HAL has a older group.

We have done a few cruise on Oceania I found the mid range to be in their 60's

some will be older some will be younger but most of those older than us (mid 60's) were very active people

If you want party time there is not too much of that going on ;)

Thanks, all, so to break it down, do you think i will feel out of place or we will just be on the younger end? We are day folks and not big party folks at night, but do want to enjoy the evenings.

Thanks, all, so to break it down, do you think i will feel out of place or we will just be on the younger end? We are day folks and not big party folks at night, but do want to enjoy the evenings.

If your looking for an upscale rather than mass market experience you will have it on Oceania and you will find your the perfect age weather 55 or 85.

You will also find a very friendly group on board won't mind that your younger than they are. :D

We have sailed on O's R class and Marina, the passengers were mostly over 60 but I think what's important to note is that the age does not really matter, it is what kind of ship-experience you prefer. On the O ships there are no flashy shows or dancing till the wee hours, or bar crawls etc.....Most passengers are seasoned travelers who cruise for the itinerary and for a casual, classy holiday. The activities are low-key and a lovely string quartet & trivia is a favorite entertainment. O passengers find the food and sharing travel experiences, among like minded passengers, a highlight. You will find Oceania far too tame if you are looking for an action-packed, show stopping ship experience!!

You won't even notice if it should happen that you are on the younger end.

Seventy today isn't what seventy was twenty years ago.

inspirational-people-goldie-hawn.jpgBette-Davis-9267626-1-402.jpg

My husband and I went on on our first Oceania cruise at the age of 43. We were the youngest couple on board. We had a fabulous time as we met so many interesting people on a great 10 day itinerary. Don't let age stop you from cruising with Oceania.

You won't even notice if it should happen that you are on the younger end.

Seventy today isn't what seventy was twenty years ago.

inspirational-people-goldie-hawn.jpgBette-Davis-9267626-1-402.jpg

Fabulous. Says it all

I'm on Nautica now on a 21 day cruise. This is the oldest demographic I have experienced on o. I think it is because folks who work have a harder time getting away for nearly a month. There are many folks in their 80 s ( or who look like they are in their 80's lol)on board. Not typical in my experience.

Age is all relative!!!:) I'm 55 and my wife is 51. I did not feel old on Oceania and I didn't feel young. I have only cruised in the Medeterrean and I think we were about average to maybe a bit older than others on the cruise. I think as others have stated, it depends on the location where you cruise.

We were on the Marina, and one thing I will say is that there were very few kids. There really are not alot of activities for kids and in the pool area there are not the water slides etc that there are on other ships so this really isn't the cruise if you are going with children. Which is nice for people our age...:rolleyes:

Thanks for all the feedback and I probably could have phrased age better. Really just want to make sure the activity / excursions, etc... are appropriate. Looks like we are all good and we are going to book the 10 Day on Nov 10. Thanks again.

Thanks for all the feedback and I probably could have phrased age better. Really just want to make sure the activity / excursions, etc... are appropriate. Looks like we are all good and we are going to book the 10 Day on Nov 10. Thanks again.

If you are so inclined, enroll on the Roll Call for your cruise and you can get to know even more about your fellow cruisers, their ages and their interests !

Tom

That's what you say to yourself when your 60.....

Seriously the demographics of age vary with the time of year, the destination, the price/length of cruise/ size of ship. thats 4 variables with over a dozen combinations. Heck, just go and be happy...cause' your the only person who can make you that way....

I will say that Oceania is a more of a way of life for people who can entertain themselves rather than be entertained.

Our 1st cruise on Oceania we were mid 50's some people were older some younger

I do not really care

I found most people to be interesting & I can carry on a decent conversation with most people over the age of 25

We met a couple in their late 80' s that could have done their own comedy act onboard we did some tours with them & had lots of fun

I am not into zip lining but quite a few people my age & older that was the highlight of their cruise

If you worry about what other are doing instead of enjoying what you like to do ...what can I say

just go have fun you too will be old soon enough:D

Lyn

On paper I will be 60 this year....in my mind I am 38....as for the body...hmmm..feels like 90 sometimes.

I was 53 and DH 58 when we first sailed on "O". We met some incredible people ages 25-92. Didn't matter. We will be doing cruise #10 this year and do not want to consider another cruise line. You will be so very impressed I am sure.

The Barcelona cruise will probably be pretty port intensive which tends to skew a bit younger. The longer cruises with multiple days at sea often have the "older crowd". My wife and I (46 y.o.) did Accent on Italy last summer and did not feel out of place at all. There were quite a few couples younger than us on board.

I just booked a South Pacific honeymoon cruise on Marina for my daughter and future son in law, March/14. They are young professionals in their early 30's, who love good food, wine, and an upscale experience.

They could have chosen a party ship, but decided against it. They are aware that the crowd will be older, but they don't mind. They are used to hanging out with us:)

We have sailed on Marina twice, with another booked for next year, and I think that they will enjoy the experience and have a great honeymoon.

We have cruised with Oceania twice in the past year or so and love it!

The age trend may be older on the cruises that depart and return from Florida.

Our cruises in Europe have been filled with many middle-aged couples.(50s-65) The cruisers we have met have been well educated and well traveled. The atmosphere is not "raucous", but we have always found interesting people to have a drink with in Martinis after a late supper. We have toured with roll call friends from; Australia, South Africa, Portugal, UK, Switzerland, and Germany.

My 2 cents for someone considering Oceania. . . . .

The food has been outstanding, fresh, and well prepared in every venue.

The PH is a nice luxury if you can swing the extra cost. A butler, well utilized, can really enhance your cruise experience! Make your specialty restaurant reservations online before you board. Join your roll-call and ask questions to seasoned cruisers like Mura, Don, Jim&Stan, and Lynn. Many of the folks replying to your posts have cruised Oceania many times. Their advice has helped us enjoy our 1st two cruises more than we imagined.

I do want to comment on your question about Oceania excursions. Please pay attention to the "walker" symbols in the descriptions. A single walker shown is a panoramic tour from a bus or small van with little walking or steps. 2 walkers shown. . . . you will walk from the bus to the sights, a 3 walker tour will include a walking tour lead by a guide. None of these are the fast paced tours we enjoy most. Oceania tours are safe and reliable. In remote or dangerous areas they are the "safest bet". The ship will never leave without you if you are late!

Good luck!

Archived