Rough seas to New Zealand

We are cruising to NZ on Voyager of the Seas next Feb and have booked a few cabins for our family. One of them is a forward (can't get much more forward!) on the 9th deck. My son is worried his family may get sea sick and now has me concerned as we have only ever sailed mid ship or aft (with no worries) on other cruises. Has anyone experienced rough seas in this type cabin to NZ

The Tasman can be very rough, but the cruise where we experienced the worst weather (12 metre seas) wasn't in the Tasman. It was off the Queensland coast in the middle of winter (Pacific Pearl on the way back from Vanuatu). We have had 10 metres seas east of Sydney and also near the Falkland Is. It is the luck of the draw.

A cabin near the bow will experience more movement than midship. Deck 9 will also have more movement than a lower deck. Can this cabin be changed for one further back?

If there is bad weather it is likely to be only for a day or so. Once you get to NZ, the cruise is very port-intensive.

Suggestion - Whether you change the cabin or not, buy some good anti-seasickness medication. I suggest Avomine. It costs $9.40 for 30 tablets from Chemist Warehouse and doesn't make most people drowsy. This is the medication that P&O suggest and I have found it to be the best.:)

The best deck for anyone fearing they would suffer sickness would be low and central..see if you can have them changed to that location. That said Voyager is a huge ship not as likely have extreme movement and the layout means you will sitll be able to enjoy all the activities in the centre of the ship.

Sue

Hi,

I sailed last year (22 to 26 October) to the Bahama's on the Norwegian Sky. We had a Suite which was forward - right under the bridge actually - looking forward over the bow over the ship. Great location when coming into port etc as you could see everything.

Yep, this was when Hurricane Sandy was in the Bahama's at the same time, so the seas were a "little" rough (TIC). :) Yes, there was a lot of movement, and if you get sea sick, I would definitely not recommend a forward cabin. For me, it wasnt so much the movement of the ship (that didnt really bother me) it was the noise of the waves hitting the bow of the ship. Whenever we hit a big wave, there was an almighty "boom" and you could feel the ship vibrate. Further down the ship this noise and vibration were barely noticable - but at the front, it was very noticable! Depending on how young the children are, I wouldnt book a forward cabin if I had young children with me who might get frightened by the noise and vibrations.

Mid ship is definitely best for newbies who dont know how they will go in regards to sea sickness.

Regards,

Rebecca

The VotS is a big ship and once it gets moving in the open ocean you can barely feel the waves unless they are huge. The Tasman is just as likely to be a millpond as a tempest but at least you can be sure that your ship is easily capable of handling it.

I've sailed in upper-deck forward cabins on large ships and never really noticed any problem even in a storm. My daughter is more prone to seasickness than me and she doesn't think that forward cabins are significantly worse. Lower cabins are probably better but who wants to travel in steerage? :)

Pack seasick meds of choice and use them if necessary. They are easily available, cheap and they work. Then it doesn't matter where your cabin is. For all the horror stories about the Tasman you hear (and people LOVE to share a horror story) there are just as many people who enjoyed a smooth crossing. You just never know so go prepared and enjoy your cruise.

If there is bad weather it is likely to be only for a day or so. Once you get to NZ, the cruise is very port-intensive.

Except around the bottom of the South Island and cruising up to Fiordland. You can get some big seas there and often the waves are hitting the ship side on. Forward or aft makes little difference in that situation.

We are cruising to NZ on Voyager of the Seas next Feb and have booked a few cabins for our family. One of them is a forward (can't get much more forward!) on the 9th deck. My son is worried his family may get sea sick and now has me concerned as we have only ever sailed mid ship or aft (with no worries) on other cruises. Has anyone experienced rough seas in this type cabin to NZ

Bottom of South Island we had 14 metre seas on Regal Princess in 2007, open to Antarctic there, anything can happen. Although on Celebrity Solstice in same area last March, seas ok. Just depends on luck of the draw.

I do not care how rough the seas get and do not mind any part of the ship for a cabin. There is no one spot you can find on a ship that does not move in any way or form in rough seas. I do not think any seas can ever make me sea sick so I just do not give it a second thought.

Yes, I've been in the most forward cabins on Voyager across Bass strait.

When they get rocky you will feel it. That said, you're not isolated from it anywhere on the ship - but just letting you know it will be felt there as well.

We've had four cruises to NZ in February/March. Twice the seas were as calm as a mill pond and the others a little bumpy at times. Twice we were up under the bridge and felt no more movement than anywhere else on the ship (Sun Princess). :)

I took my elderly Mum to NZ in November last year on Voyager OTS. She hadn't cruised before so was a bit concerned about sea-sickness.

We had a cabin on deck 7 mid-ship and all was well. She had threatened me that I would be out of the will if she got ill - LOL!

The worst seas we encountered on that cruise were in the Bass Strait heading to Melbourne but it is a large ship so motion was less I believe than we would have experienced if we'd been on a smaller ship.

That said, I've been on smaller ships in HUGE seas and I guess I'm one of those lucky people who don't experience sea-sickness as I really enjoy a bit of "motion in the ocean".

Lots of people on our last cruise to the Pacific Islands were wearing wrist-bands which they said really worked. I'd probably have one on hand if you're concerned about feeling ill.

Gae

Take my advice, go for the mid ship cabins lower down. We always go for the partially obstructed views cabins on the boat decks, mid ship, which we have secured on our next two cruises, Golden Princess and Arcadia. Of course you will still feel the motion of the ocean, but less impact than way forward, way aft or way up top.

Archived