Too cool for balcony on NZ criuse?

We holidayed in the South Island in February 2 years ago and the North Island in March last year. February is mild in the south island at that time of the year, we experienced warm sunny days. It may be a bit chilly on a verandah under full steam but not freezing. Of course weather is variable and one minute could be a heat wave and next minute unseasonable cold snap.

The north island however is another story, it is a much milder and warmer climate, in fact it can be quite warm at that time of year. In March I only wore short sleeves.

On our New Zealand trip in November we have booked a verandah for several reasons including being able to just duck out your door to look at the scencery, sitting on the verandah during sailing, even if we are rugged up, sitting on the verandah admiring the scenery when in coming into port and the fact that I am mildly claustrophobic and like quick access to fresh air.

It depends on why you want your verandah, New Zealand, especially the south island has spectacular scenery but if you are happy nipping up to a viewing deck you might want to spend your money on excursions etc.

Thanks for the comments.I do so love waking up and having my first cup of coffee while still in my pj's and sitting on the deck watching the world go by.Besides aft,which section would have less of a "breeze"? Retiring and even though I don't have a big buget I thought it might be worthwhile to slurge on a cabin.

Celebrity has good deals on for NZ check those out too balcony for inside price until the end of this month. As others have said it will be cool in the south..but since you need to rug up to go outside and enjoy the scenery anyway..why not enjoy it on your balcony. In any case NZ is a great destination..enjoy.

Sue

looking at booking Sun Princess for a Feb 8 departure.Leaves from Syndney with 2 sea days at beginning and end.Typically will will weather be nice enough to enjoy a balcony?

Not necessarily swimming weather, particularly south of Wellington but pleasant enough.

We sailed on Sun P around NZ (ex Sydney) in late Jan, early Feb back in '08 in a balcony stateroom. Weather was everything from coats & scarfs through to shorts, t-shirts and lounging by the pool. Unfortunately, it's a real lottery that far south, even in summer. We used our balcony lots, so take layers (and your swimmers!) and hope for the best!

We sailed on Radiance OTS late Jan this year. We had balcony as we took advantage of a great deal. The weather was very good and we made good use of the balcony. As most are saying it is luck of the draw for Sth Island as far as weather, but it is definitely a spectacular place.

We were on Celebrity Solstice NZ to Sydney in March. Weather was great and the views as we enjoyed a quiet breakfast on our balcony as we entered Akaroa Harbour, Dusky Sound and docked in Sydney were spectacular. You will not regret the splurge on a balcony cabin. Enjoy.

We have been on two cruises to NZ in Summer -- late January and February. For the most part, the weather was warm during the day -- but coolish in the very early morning. On both cruises, during the very early morning entry into Milford Sound, it was quite cold (8C) on the upper decks (Queenslanders called it "freezing!" ) . Certainly not sitting outside and having a coffee weather! :)

Barry

We have cruised three times around New Zealand in November, December and March/Apri, twice on Sun Princessl. On all three we used our balcony. I use it for early morning coffee, ordering this from room service the night before as Continental Breakfast. The wind was occasionally too strong to do this on sea days depending on the direction of the wind, but I loved sipping coffee, nibblling a pastry and watching the entry to each harbour as we sailed alomg the east coast. We both enjoyed sitting on the balcony on port days in the late afternoon after a day of sightseeing, watching the business of the harbour or the acitvity dockside, while sharing tea or a glass of wine. We prefer second sitting in the MDR. In the Sounds one year we had a light drizzle of rain for part of the time. The balcony was a sanctuary from the cold of the upper decks with side views of the waterfalls and the coast between Sounds. Our stewards always provided comforting blanets on request. We chose a high mid ships cabin on each occasion. The only time we swam or hot tubbed was on a HAL cruise taking advantage of the retractable roof over the pool deck.

As it was my Mother's first cruise we booked a balcony for our Voyager of the Seas Nov/Dec 2012 cruise to NZ.

We found it too chilly to use to it's full advantage and whenever there were great sights to see we were on deck or in the Viking Lounge watching everything.

We have decided to save some money to use on excursions so have booked oceanview cabins for our next cruises.

Having said that, I'm glad we have experienced a balcony so now we know for sure what suits US best!

We had a Concierge Verandah cabin, forward on Sky Deck - Celebrity Solstice, Sydney to Auckland, in March. Nice sunny days and not too much wind. We rarely book balconies but got free upgrade. On most ships there is too much mark up for a balcony, anyway we like to get around the ship, mix and mingle.

One of the biggest advantages of a balcony (at least on RCCL Radiance and Vision class) is if it is too cold to be on deck or even outside on your balcony, you can pull the curtains wide open and leave the glass sliding doors closed and still enjoy the views in the privacy of your cabin. You can't do that on an inside cabin.

Thanks for all the replies. I think my husband coughed up a furball when I told him how much airfare was on top of cruise price. I will have to move slowly...which leads me another question probably another post...is there a chsnce airfare prices will go down in next 2-4 months???

Thanks for all the replies. I think my husband coughed up a furball when I told him how much airfare was on top of cruise price. I will have to move slowly...which leads me another question probably another post...is there a chsnce airfare prices will go down in next 2-4 months???

Usually , the closer the flights get to "take off" the dearer they become.

The opposite of cruising....

Archived