Wot! no more chocolates

Isn't it sad that a cruiseline that was once known for the quality of its chocolate desserts and chocolates has done away with them. You are lucky nto get a so-so brownie in the dining room.

I guess with the advent of the Beehives of the Seas, quantity took precedent over quality.

Of course, if one didn't cruise RCCL back in the 80's, 90's or before 2004, the old RCCL quality of cruising won't be missed.

It was a nice touch, but I never ate them anyway. Usually collected them, brought them home and ended up throwing them out.

Maybe they could do chocolates like they do towels:

If you leave an empty chocolate wrapper in the corner, they will replace it with fresh chocolates the next day.

If they don't find an empty wrapper in the corner, they'll assume you want to keep using the same chocolate you got the day before.

Many thanks to you all for your entertaining comments on this thread. It would seem to me from reading through them that this practice has been on the decline for some years, we obviously struck lucky - until this last time.

As mentioned before Princess and Celebrity still do it (or did up until beginning of this year - off on new Regal Princess in september so watch this space!)

To me cruising is still the tops and lack of chocolate wont ever stop me enjoying all the other aspects that make it the perfect holiday (or vacation -depending on where youre from!) my point was merely that it is the little things that make it so special and I do hope that not too much more changes.

Many thanks to you all for your entertaining comments on this thread. It would seem to me from reading through them that this practice has been on the decline for some years, we obviously struck lucky - until this last time.

As mentioned before Princess and Celebrity still do it (or did up until beginning of this year - off on new Regal Princess in september so watch this space!)

To me cruising is still the tops and lack of chocolate wont ever stop me enjoying all the other aspects that make it the perfect holiday (or vacation -depending on where youre from!) my point was merely that it is the little things that make it so special and I do hope that not too much more changes.

Celebrity still puts them on the pillows every night. Celebrity has a lot of "little touches" that RCCL does not have.

I must have been one of the 7% - I enjoyed finding the little chocolates on the bed when we came back from dinner.

You aren't the only one. I like them too. I'll definitely miss having them on my upcoming cruise.

So it was you, CodyC! I was wondering what broke their budget for chocolates all this time! ;)

Just kidding, of course. :)

Just curious, did you eat them all?

Not going to lie, I think we retired our luggage after that and they're probably still in the bag in the attic. Maybe I can send them back to RCL with an apology note and they'll reinstate the program.

Maybe they could do chocolates like they do towels:

If you leave an empty chocolate wrapper in the corner, they will replace it with fresh chocolates the next day.

If they don't find an empty wrapper in the corner, they'll assume you want to keep using the same chocolate you got the day before.

I like this idea. :-)

Our cabin attendant surprised us with a few in April, on the Allure. It brought a big :-) to our faces and memories. Our first cruise was with my mom many moons ago on Nordic Empress and she use to just love them.

I ate my fare share to..

You must not have cruised for a while, evening chocolates being a suite only perk is not at all new.

You mean we should have gotten pillow chocolates in our suite on my recent sailing? I didn't get any chocolates. :mad: I might need to send an e-mail to the CEO!!

LOL so funny how story's differ cruise to cruise...

We never got chocolates on our pillows till we hit platinum and on our last cruise on the Allure (last February) we got chocolates on two nights on our pillow :D

Recently returned from a RCL back to back cruise on the Freedom of the Seas and was very disappointed to find lots of cut backs evident since our last sailing. We especially missed the chocolates on the pillows at nights!

I know these are only little touches but I have always felt that its these little touches that make cruising so special. It seems as if money is everything as the answer I got to my question about this was "we have to pay for these new ships somehow!". Sad:mad:

While attending a Q&A session with the Captain several years ago someone asked why there were no more chocolates given out every night. He explained it this way; think of number of ships in the fleet, plus the average number of passengers sailing (2000-6000), then multiply by seven which is the average number of days people sail. This adds up to "lots of chocolates" being given out in a signal week. And many of the chocolates were being left behind and not eaten. So to put it in his last words "cost saving decision."

And to be honest my sister and I, while we love chocolates, we never ate the mints. We left them in a glass on our coffee table and by our last night they where still there. So we not sure if our cabin attendant kept them for him/herself or just threw them away.

But for those you did enjoy them, yes, it is sad.

Love the chocolates!! Last year on Allure we only got chocolates twice...on formal nights with the towel animals. I joked with our attendant-asked him if he thought I was "too big"! Maybe he chose not to give me chocolates each night because of my weight! He didn't know what to say to that!! He laughed once he realized I was just teasing him. He did explain that it was a RCCL decision. I got a few extra chocolates on the last formal night-dont tell RCCL :eek:

We did it the other way around and brought our cabin-steward a biiiiig bar of Toblerone-Chocolate from Switzerland. She was really happy :D.

When I cruised with my daughter, we made towel animals for our cabin attendant. His reaction was priceless. The Swiss chocolate is better than a towel animal but that wasn't an option for us!

I don't miss the chocolates at all. We just stacked them up all week and then threw them away.

We received chocolates 2 nights last week on the Oasis with a Ocean View Balcony room....and yes we did eat them. I love chocolate.:) It was our first cruise so I guess I'm lucky in the fact I have nothing to compare it to....everything was wonderful

I remember the question being asked on a cruise not long after RCL made the decision to stop the chocolates. It appears that only 7% of them were ever eaten, and the others either thrown away immediately (or at the end of the cruise) or taken home and found in luggage months later only to be thrown away at that stage. The annual cost for the chocolates was reported to be something silly like $3million. So, it seems like a no-brainer to discontinue them and, even if the money isn't used elsewhere for the benefit of the customers, at least it isn't wasted. By the way, there are very few other vacations where you can stay in such opulence including meals, some drinks and entertainment for, in some instances, less than $50.00 per day. Whilst the chocolates were a nice touch, their demise doesn't make that much of a difference in the big picture ..

yeah, DH never ate his and after the second or third night I stopped too.. I was just too darn full from everything else. I did save them and bring them home but we drive to port so it was not a huge issue with stuff melting.

Oh my! I have had the pleasure of visting your beautiful country twice. The first time I was only 12 years old and I fell in LOVE with Toblerone!

Bringing some extra for the attendant is a great idea!

NOW if It Was Toblerone-Chocolate They STOPPED Putting On Pillows There Would Have Been An UpRoar

Archived