Aqua Class Shower Design is Defective

celem

I hope that Celebrity reads these posts as the the design of the showers in Aqua Class is defective. I have attached a PDF with photos that explain the problem. This experience is with Millennium-class ships - I don't know if it is the same in the Solstice-class ships.

I polled a number of Aqua Class passengers in both deck 9 renovated cabins and in the new cabins on deck 11. The problems are universal – present in all cabins.

1. When you shower in an Aqua Class shower, you will have to do so while while standing in ankle deep water. This wasn't a problem with the previous shower heads so I assume that the drains just cannot handle the increased flow of the new Hansgrohe shower panel.
  2. When you shower in an Aqua Class shower the bathroom floor is usually flooded unless you prop the doors in just a certain way (see photos in attachment). The door design is defective and while there is a rubber sweep on the door bottom, it does not reach the sill – there is a half-inch gap and water flows over the flat sill into the bathroom. The problem would be eliminated if either the sill were inclined towards the shower or if the rubber sweep actually met and sealed to the sill.

aqua-shower-leaks.pdf

Yes, we experienced the wet/soaked bathroom floor problem on the Millenium earlier this year. We did not have any problem with the drains. I brought the shower door situation to the hotel manager and he said it was the first he had heard of it....he was going to look.

The problem is that whoever speced the doors for the solsticization didn't measure the door frames correctly and/or didn't specify a thick enough gasket on the bottom of the doors. It would be an easy fix....but my gut feel is that they won't even bother to try to fix it. A simple rubber "threshold on the raised area under the door would solve that problem....but don't hold your breath.

It has nothing to do with either the head or the sprays....any water that hits the doors goes to the bottom and leaks out under the gasket onto the bathroom floor....there is a large gap at the bottom. I don't use the sprays...I use the shower head and even faced away from the door, you get a large puddle on the bathroom floor.

It has nothing to do with either the head or the sprays....any water that hits the doors goes to the bottom and leaks out under the gasket onto the bathroom floor....there is a large gap at the bottom. I don't use the sprays...I use the shower head and even faced away from the door, you get a large puddle on the bathroom floor.

I agree - neither me or my wife use the body jets (we don't like them). Water splashes on the doors, drips down the door, drops onto the sill, the sill is level and some of the water flows into the shower and some into the bathroom - especially so when the ship is under-way and there is some motion changing which way is inclined - sometimes into the stall and sometimes into the bathroom. Since the rubber sweep does not meet the sill, the large half-inch gap just lets the water flow unrestricted into the bathroom.

I agree - neither me or my wife use the body jets (we don't like them). Water splashes on the doors, drips down the door, drops onto the sill, the sill is level and some of the water flows into the shower and some into the bathroom - especially so when the ship is under-way and there is some motion changing which way is inclined - sometimes into the stall and sometimes into the bathroom. Since the rubber sweep does not meet the sill, the large half-inch gap just lets the water flow unrestricted into the bathroom.

I guess my guess was wrong. We always travel on S class in AQ and if the doors aren't shut just right there is a flood. This sounds like another issue all together. Hope the Constellation design is better.

Thanks for the heads up.

1141 on the Infinity...we wish we could have used the sprays. We had awful leaking no matter how we adjusted the spray head. Not only did the bottom gasket not hold the water but the seal along the vertical door panel was coming off. Our poor cabin stewardess was well aware of our problems and it had been reported to housekeeping countless times.

Of course this was one of the new 11th deck cabins, not the converted 9th deck units.

Your clogged drain was probably due to "other" problems.

What we do, at home, in hotels, on cruise ships...is to shut off the water when you're not actually using it in the shower...get wet, turn water off, shampoo - turn on, rinse hair, turn off - apply conditioner, soap up - turn back on to rinse.

This started when we lived in a drought-prone area and it has become a life-long habit. You should see our water bills at home - very low.

It doesn't help with the water splashing out the door but it helps with the ankle-deep problem.

Once I learned how to close the shower doors properly, there was no problem. No build-up of water in the shower stall either.

It is difficult to close the shower door incorrectly....you either have one door on the inside or the other....and there is a gasket where the doors meet, so it's obvious which way to close the doors so the gasket meets correctly. Unfortunately, if you do it that way, the door leaks. The solution I found to cut down on the water on the floor was to close the doors the incorrect way which apparently allowed more of the water to fall inside the shower.

Did it really take you time to figure out how to close the doors as they were designed to close.....or did you also discover that if you closed them incorrectly, it helped???

I sent a printout of the PDF (see first post) in a letter to the President of Celebrity. When/if he responds I'll post what he said.

Form letter 12:

Thank you for contacting me. I am happy that you enjoyed your cruise. We look forward to seeing you on board one of our wonderful ships in the near future.

• 2 months later...

A lady from "The Office of the President" called twice for clarification and said that the matter would be brought to the attention of the engineering department.

We were on the Summit with a cabin on deck 11. The shower leaked like a sieve. Tried closing the doors in different positions and it didn't help. Our solution was to grab a few towels every time we came back from the pool area. Rolled two up and placed at the threshold and put another on the floor as a extra mat.

We talked to the cabin attendant about the problem and he said that every cabin is like that and they are aware of the problem. Wrote about it on the attention to detail card. I doubt that anything will change. It is cheaper for the attendant to do extra work than invest in a solution.

You can't make silk out of a sows ear as they are trying to do with the cosmetic upgrades to convert a CC cabin into a Soltice AQ. The new cabins that were installed should have been made like the S class instead of like the regular cabins on the M class.

For what it is worth AQ and Blu was not really needed on the M class. They should have left it for what it was and is, A classy and beautiful ship that had it own charm and style.

Archived