Help me pick a cruise please.

DirtDiver

I'm a first time cruiser, and here is what I'm looking at:

Port: Miami, FL

Date: June 6 or 7th

Days: 3 or 4

Party: 2 adults, one 12 year old boy

I have to be that specific because I'm picking up my son in Miami from a trip and going from there. I'd like to be able to fly into KMIA, pick up my son, stay in a hotel overnight, and go to the port the next day.

I'm not particular about which cruise line we go on...so I'm totally open to suggestions. Thanks!

Wow! You have 3 really great options. Carnival Victory to Key West & Cozumel, NCL Sky to Great Stirrup Cay & Nassau, & Royal Carribean Majesty of the Seas to Coco Cay & Nassau. If I was picking based on port locations, hands down Carnival Victory. Key West and Cozumel are excellent places to visit. A lot of people's favorite cruise line is Royal, so that should be considered. My favorite cruise line is probably NCL, so I would take that for a few reasons. I like the freestyle dining choices, I also always enjoy the cheaper rates by comparison, & I see by reviews that the Sky is slightly more favorable then Majesty Of The Seas.

So I may seem all over the place...for a first time cruiser I say take Carnival. The cruise is a bit longer and visits 2 excellent ports. But for me, I would choose the NCL one as I'm a bigger fan of them. Hope this helps!!

Wow! You have 3 really great options. Carnival Victory to Key West & Cozumel, NCL Sky to Great Stirrup Cay & Nassau, & Royal Carribean Majesty of the Seas to Coco Cay & Nassau. If I was picking based on port locations, hands down Carnival Victory. Key West and Cozumel are excellent places to visit. A lot of people's favorite cruise line is Royal, so that should be considered. My favorite cruise line is probably NCL, so I would take that for a few reasons. I like the freestyle dining choices, I also always enjoy the cheaper rates by comparison, & I see by reviews that the Sky is slightly more favorable then Majesty Of The Seas.

So I may seem all over the place...for a first time cruiser I say take Carnival. The cruise is a bit longer and visits 2 excellent ports. But for me, I would choose the NCL one as I'm a bigger fan of them. Hope this helps!!

Thanks for the advice. Those are the ones I had found, and I liked the fact that the Victory is a larger ship. I don't know specifically why that matters, other than simple "wow" factor. I also would like to see the Chichen Itza, which I understand Carnival has a bus to in Mexico.

Is there one that is better for a 12 year old over the others?

I would say not really, because he won't know the difference, LOL.

The Royal and NCL ones visit their private islands, which kids enjoy because the day consists of practically nothing but water activities.

I would say he probably will like any of them because on ship, they all 3 have excellent kids club programs. I'm not sure which one is considered the best, I have no kids so maybe you should research.

But go with the Carnival one. Like you said, bigger ship so a bigger wow factor. And great ports with big wow factors.

One thing to caution though, Carnival has a reputation of being big time party boats. I just went on one for this exact itinerary over spring break, it was nothing but college kids. Would not have wanted to see kids on that one. But I'm sure this one wont be that way as the ship is more expensive than the one I was on.

As mentioned, please do keep in mind that the short cruises due have a party atmostphere to them.

Keith

Thanks for the advice. I was really wanting to take him on the Allure or the Oasis but those are just so pricey.

. I also would like to see the Chichen Itza, which I understand Carnival has a bus to in Mexico.

Is there one that is better for a 12 year old over the others?

Just a heads up - Chichen Itza is a long day trip from Cozumel. First it's a ferry to the mainland, then a 2 hour bus ride! Each way! That's a lot of travel time for a 12 year old. :)

Just a heads up - Chichen Itza is a long day trip from Cozumel. First it's a ferry to the mainland, then a 2 hour bus ride! Each way! That's a lot of travel time for a 12 year old. :)

I've heard it's all setup through the Cruise lines... is it better to do it that way or are there other excursions / tours?

I've heard it's all setup through the Cruise lines... is it better to do it that way or are there other excursions / tours?

A 12 year old may not enjoy the long travel tim to Chichen Itza from Cozumel, and he might find the life style so apparent in Key West to be disturbing - but you know him best and are the one to decide that point. I would say the Royal Caribbean ship has at least the "wow factor" of Carnival Victory, which I did not think had that much "wow". Recalling my own children when 12, and grandchildren now 12, I would recommend a beach day over a long trip to an archeological site.

Chichen Itza is a long day trip from Cozumel. First it's a ferry to the mainland, then a 2 hour bus ride! Each way! That's a lot of travel time for a 12 year old. :)

MANY years ago we took our girls to Chichen Itza. Honestly, they hated it as well as DH ... long hot tiring day and thought I'd lost my mind for taking them there.

Now, they both are glad they went because it is the famous one ... but, still, like to look at our old cruise photo albums and laugh about what a horrible time they had. :rolleyes:

LuLu

~~~~

A 12 year old may not enjoy the long travel tim to Chichen Itza from Cozumel, and he might find the life style so apparent in Key West to be disturbing - but you know him best and are the one to decide that point. I would say the Royal Caribbean ship has at least the "wow factor" of Carnival Victory, which I did not think had that much "wow". Recalling my own children when 12, and grandchildren now 12, I would recommend a beach day over a long trip to an archeological site.

Are you saying you would recommend the Royal Caribbean cruise over the Carnival Victory?

Thanks for the advice. I was really wanting to take him on the Allure or the Oasis but those are just so pricey.

Well, I would suggest Galveston, Carnival Magic......... We so want to go on the Allure of the Seas. But it looks so beautiful. Yes, pricey and the flight from Oklahoma is astronomical. We always go in off season? Not sure if that appeals to you or not. We are booked for Oct 6 - 13, out of Galveston on Ms. Magic. Very affordable. Some children, but not like it would be springbreak or the summer time???

Are you saying you would recommend the Royal Caribbean cruise over the Carnival Victory?

I would. I've been on the Victory twice and it served it purpose, but I do not like the decor or the layout of the ship.

I was on the Monarch (sister ship to the Majesty) and I liked the ship much better. The rooms are small and there aren't very many balcony cabins, but all other things being equal I would do RCI in this case.

I'm a first time cruiser, and here is what I'm looking at:

Port: Miami, FL

Date: June 6 or 7th

Days: 3 or 4

Party: 2 adults, one 12 year old boy

I have to be that specific because I'm picking up my son in Miami from a trip and going from there. I'd like to be able to fly into KMIA, pick up my son, stay in a hotel overnight, and go to the port the next day.

I'm not particular about which cruise line we go on...so I'm totally open to suggestions. Thanks!

Reading between the lines, it seems that you're not traveling with the boy's mother. In that case, make sure you get a notarized form signed by the mother allowing you to travel with your son. This is something that cruise lines will often check for, and if they do, and you don't have it, you won't be able to board the ship (and won't get a refund). Also, if the mother is the legal guardian, get her to sign off on a form allowing you to get him medical care if needed.

Reading between the lines' date=' it seems that you're not traveling with the boy's mother. In that case, make sure you get a notarized form signed by the mother allowing you to travel with your son. This is something that cruise lines will often check for, and if they do, and you don't have it, you won't be able to board the ship (and won't get a refund). Also, if the mother is the legal guardian, get her to sign off on a form allowing you to get him medical care if needed.[/quote']

It appears that Cruisin Chick IS the kid's mother. Cruisin - I've been on RCL and Carnival (not NCL). All three ships have kids's activities and are family friendly. Previous posters have stated that Carnival is a party ship - that is true - especially during spring break and shorter cruises.

Go with Carnival. I have taken all my kids to both ports and they love them. Key West if fun for shopping or the conch train and Cozumel is fantastic for about anyting. My kids went on the oh so long trip and loved the ruins. There is also a beach there that your son can play in. The ruins are amazing and if he has a gameboy or other electronic babysitter have him take that along with him.

Carnival is not a party boat.... That is an old reputation. Any short cruise over the weekend has a party atmosphere, NCL, RCCL and Carnival included. I have sailed the Majesty and the cabins are tiny and the ship isn't very well taken care of. She shows her age. The Carnival ships are excellent and the 'wow' factor is a plus for your family and son. The kids programs on all of them are really good and your son will be well entertained if he chooses to do that. The carnival staterooms are the biggest at sea and well worth it. I promise you will have a good time no matter what cruise you choose, but for my family Carnival is the way to go. Great value, AWESOME CREW, fantastic kids programs, good sized cabins, well taken care of ships and good value (did i say that again?).

ENJOY!

It appears that Cruisin Chick IS the kid's mother. Cruisin - I've been on RCL and Carnival (not NCL). All three ships have kids's activities and are family friendly. Previous posters have stated that Carnival is a party ship - that is true - especially during spring break and shorter cruises.

Huh? I don't understand your comment.

I was looking at this quote from the OP: I have to be that specific because I'm picking up my son in Miami from a trip and going from there. I'd like to be able to fly into KMIA, pick up my son, stay in a hotel overnight, and go to the port the next day.

To me, if someone says "my son," instead of "our son," it would appear he (or she) is picking up his (or maybe her) son and traveling with another adult. So if that's the case, I wanted to let him (or her) know that about the permission that would be needed.

Go with Carnival. I have taken all my kids to both ports and they love them. Key West if fun for shopping or the conch train and Cozumel is fantastic for about anyting. My kids went on the oh so long trip and loved the ruins. There is also a beach there that your son can play in. The ruins are amazing and if he has a gameboy or other electronic babysitter have him take that along with him.

Carnival is not a party boat.... That is an old reputation. Any short cruise over the weekend has a party atmosphere, NCL, RCCL and Carnival included. I have sailed the Majesty and the cabins are tiny and the ship isn't very well taken care of. She shows her age. The Carnival ships are excellent and the 'wow' factor is a plus for your family and son. The kids programs on all of them are really good and your son will be well entertained if he chooses to do that. The carnival staterooms are the biggest at sea and well worth it. I promise you will have a good time no matter what cruise you choose, but for my family Carnival is the way to go. Great value, AWESOME CREW, fantastic kids programs, good sized cabins, well taken care of ships and good value (did i say that again?).

ENJOY!

Recent events cast serious doubt upon your contention that Carnival's ships are

"...well taken care of..." things like power failures and loss of propulsion can happen to any ship --- but not generally ones that are well taken care of.

If you have the chance to go to Nassau check out the Atlantis resort. Their indoor/outdoor aquarium was great and the water park was the best part of our entire trip!

We plan to go back again just to visit Atlantis it was so fun.

Archived