dinner rec. for s.f.

jrstarheel

spending two nights pre cruise in san fran and looking for help with dinner for 2 nights. will probably go to one of the two famous warf places for lunch. seafood fresh and best for one night would be great. help from locals would be great

thanks

jr

there are so many good places..

try yelp for style.

we go to cole valley (right on muni line) and ate at zazie's...

ebisu for sushi at 9th and irving...or park chow.

or go to clement street and walk between 2nd and 5th...there are a million great local places.

Suggest you stop using either "SF" or "San Fran" when discussing San Francisco (The City). Locals hate both terms and they label you as an uninformed tourist.

Believe me, all those phrases are a lot less offensive than "Frisco", which is a city is Texas.

My fave for Fisherman's Wharf is the In 'N Out Burger. That said, what do you like food wise? There is so much here on the restaurant scene, a little direction from you is needed for recommendations.

I also like Scoma's.

First ate there in the early 1990's on business and have made it a tradition each time we return to the city and we also lived in the Bay Area for four years and would also take people there It is around Fisherman's Wharf.

Keith

Our favorite is Fog Harbor Fish House. Here is my review from TP:

If you are looking for great food, quiet atmosphere and romantic seating at night, this is the place you're looking for!

We went to San Fran a while back (completely forgot to do reviews for that trip) and we went to Pier 39 to check it out. This was our 1st trip to San Fran, but not our last. We walked around to see our dining options for dinner and hubby found this place. We looked at the menu and immediately knew we wanted to eat here.

The "lobby" of the restaurant was beautiful. It had a stone-fireplace and seating in front. We had the hostess take our picture in front of it and it turned out to be one of my favorite pics of that whole trip.

The ambiance was fabulous. Very low lights, candle on the table and we were by the window overlooking the water. One of the most romantic meals we've ever had. It was very clean and they change the white tablecloths after each party leaves the table (I witnessed this at several tables).

We had an excellent waitress. She was on top of everything. (She got a very good tip from us). My husband ordered the swordfish and I ordered a chicken/pasta dish. I tried his swordfish (keep in mind, we live in NC and our restaurants here do not have swordfish) and I instantly fell in love with swordfish. It was the 1st time we ever had swordfish and it is now our absolute favorite type of fish. I wanted hubby to trade dishes with me, but he wouldn't.....no biggie, we went to another restaurant the next night and I got swordfish there.

It is a pricey restaurant, but well worth every penny. We are planning our return trip to San Fran (go Niners) next year and this will be our place of choice for dinner the first night we're there!!

PS---I have a friend who lives there and I call it San Fran all the time. She has never told me not to call it that.

I also like Scoma's.

First ate there in the early 1990's on business and have made it a tradition each time we return to the city and we also lived in the Bay Area for four years and would also take people there It is around Fisherman's Wharf.

Keith

We ate at Scoma's last year on our S.F. vacation it was good, but not "great". I thought it was very crowded and a little dated. Jmo. If you like seafood, I would suggest ordering Dungeness Crab, while in S.F> which is delicious and something that we don't get on the East Coast. We also loved Boudin Sourdough Bakery which also has a restaurant upstairs. Awesome Clam Chowder served in the Sourdough bread.

I'm a native - Just don't say "Frisco" and you'll be fine.

If on Fisherman's Wharf, there are several great places. Fisherman's Grotto #9 is a classic, of course. Also waterfront and more frequented by locals than tourists is the Franciscan Crab Restaurant. The food is just excellent!

http://www.franciscancrabrestaurant.com/

In Chinatown, try Great Eastern on Jackson Street - some of the best Chinese you'll get anywhere - we often go there for lunch when in the city:

http://greateasternrestaurant.net/

A classic is The House of Prime Rib:

http://houseofprimerib.net/

Mary

I know it is always in the top rated list.

look at sfgate ratings too.

tadich grill is another choice.. one of the oldest places in SF...super traditional and excellent food/seafood.

We ate at Gary Danko's several years ago. It is not my kind of restaurant. I am not a big eater but I prefer food on my plate not decorations. The dinners are prefixed and very expensive. You get better treatment with big spenders on corporate budgets. Not just our experience but it has happened to others.

Restaurants change so frequently in the city - I really like Slanted Door (Asian fusion) the location (Ferry Plaza) is very convenient. Check tripadvisor for restaurant reviews and you will have a lot more choices.

Archived