Port of Boston

I will be on the Veendam this August and looking for some advice about the port of Boston. Since we live south of Boston we plan on driving to the port and parking in the garage. I am wondering if there are any tips or pitfalls to this plan. It sounds as though it should be simple enough but any pointers would be appreciated. Also I am thinking of taking a practice run on a Saturday the Veendam is in port.

We live in NH and just returned from the Veendam yesterday. Parking is relatively easy at the Black Falcon terminal garage. Their web page is very helpful with directions and rates. There were two of us cruising. I was dropped off right at the pier with all the luggage, my husband went around the block and parked the car in the garage then walked the short distance back to the pier. We did the reverse yesterday. We left our cabin at 8:45 and were on route 93 heading north by 9:30.

I've never driven personally (swore off driving in Boston decades ago), but have been brought there by car, taxi, and bus a few times, so I know the pier area a little.

Your plan sounds fine, at least once you get to the Black Falcon/pier area. Easy in/easy out. I don't know that you even need a dry run, unless you aren't sure about getting to the port area at all.

If you do decide to have a dry run, see if there are any Sundays without a ship in. It might be easier with no one else around.

Have a lovely cruise on the Veendam.

We have been to Black Falcon Cruise Terminal a great many times, always park in the garage and never have a problem. Very easy. It's a good plan. :)

Here is a link to Massport, which is the agency that runs Black Falcon.

http://www.massport.com/port-of-boston/cruiseport%20boston/parkingservices.aspx

Getting there is very easy. Use South Station (Amtrak Train Station) as your landmark where to turn. Here's a link to a photo. :) http://www.south-station.net/

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this thread to ask some additional questions - did several searches but couldn't find specific answers.

We're fairly experienced cruisers but this will be our first HAL and first trip out of Boston. We'll be driving and parking at Black Falcon. We live fairly close to Boston and have a few happy haunts there. If possible, we'd like to park at the terminal, drop off our luggage and then head into the city for an early lunch. Is this doable? If so, what's the earliest we can deposit luggage at the terminal that morning (without actually checking in for the cruise yet)? If not, can we go through the check in process (10:30am?) and then leave before actually getting on the ship?

I'm hoping to avoid the cattle prod of folks getting on the ship. We'd prefer to eat in the city for lunch, rather on the ship as we'll have plenty of time to eat there all week.

Thanks!

Your plan is eminently "doable". Pull up to the luggage drop-off area around 10:30, hand over your luggage, then drive right on out again.

When you return, park in the garage across the street, and walk across with your carry-ons.

Very simple, and it should make boarding a breeze when you come a little later.

Keep in mind there is such a thing as coming too early only in terms of finding a parking space in the garage. Until some of the disembarking cruisers get their vehicles out of the garage, available spaces might be limited. If you plan to drop luggage at about 10:30, that should work fine.

Keep in mind there is such a thing as coming too early only in terms of finding a parking space in the garage. Until some of the disembarking cruisers get their vehicles out of the garage, available spaces might be limited. If you plan to drop luggage at about 10:30, that should work fine.

Thank you for confirming that reality as it had indeed crossed my mind. We'll be coming in on a day that both the Maasdam and the Veendam will be turning over so I expect the garage will be quite full until folks disembark. We'll plan to aim for the 10:30am mark.

I would double check with Massport about dropping off the luggage and leaving. My understanding was that you couldn't leave luggage at the port- have to check it in- and yourself too. But maybe I mis-read it- take another look at the Cruiseport section on the Massport page.

I would double check with Massport about dropping off the luggage and leaving. My understanding was that you couldn't leave luggage at the port- have to check it in- and yourself too. But maybe I mis-read it- take another look at the Cruiseport section on the Massport page.

You cannot just drop luggage in front of the building. It must be given over to a stevedore but they likely will be prepared to start taking it at about 10:30 A.M. No port that I know of wants unattended, unchecked luggage sitting around. I understood the OP to be saying they want it handed over to the stevedore for loading.

Or have I misunderstood your comment? :o

You cannot just drop luggage in front of the building. It must be given over to a stevedore but they likely will be prepared to start taking it at about 10:30 A.M. No port that I know of wants unattended, unchecked luggage sitting around. I understood the OP to be saying they want it handed over to the stevedore for loading.

Or have I misunderstood your comment? :o

Gosh no, we'd definitely be handing it over to a stevedore which is why I inquired about the earliest time to drop off. I'm not much of a gambler and doubt my odds of doing a stealth like sidewalk drop and run would end favorably for me. ;)

Our last cruise went out of Vancouver and we were able to drop our bags with security early and continue exploring the city before officially checking in and boarding the ship. Was hoping for something similar in Boston. Sounds like we'll be good to go! Thanks all!

Another question about arriving at the Black Falcon Terminal...

We'll be coming into the terminal and need to get a taxi to take us to the Hertz Rental Car facility. Will it be fairly easy to get a taxi outside the terminal...is there a special procedure for doing this?

We've also heard that the Hertz Rental Car place will credit us up to $10 if we give them the taxi receipt. Has anyone had any "practical" experience with this?

Debjo

We'll be coming into the terminal and need to get a taxi to take us to the Hertz Rental Car facility. Will it be fairly easy to get a taxi outside the terminal...is there a special procedure for doing this?

It should be very easy to get a cab, if my experience Saturday is usual.

I was wheeled out of the terminal some time between 9:15-9:30, and there was a line of cabs at the cab stand area, all just waiting for people. I didn't see anyone keeping order, but there was no line-up, either.

Your biggest challenge should be finding the cab stand; just look up for the sign.

We have sailed out of and visited that terminal many times on Saturdays and never had a hard time catching a taxi. They keep arriving to drop off arriving guests and it's easy to hop into one as it empties.

Thanks everyone for your "tips" about the cabs at Black Falcon Terminal. Guess I won't "worry" about that aspect of our trip too much. Hopefully, the Hertz folks will "honor" the cab receipt!

Debjo

• 3 weeks later...

I hope I'm not hijacking, but I have a port of boston question too.

We are driving in from Canada the day before. We need an inexpensive hotel to spend the night before. Can anyone make a recommendation, in terms of good price and location (or is that even allowed?)

If you can, email me at lisakoivu@yahoo.ca - I found one, but I want to ask someone about it. Thanks.

Archived