Please watch your childen ALWAYS

The problem with forums is that people express their opinions and the way they are read by others isn't always taken in the way they intended. I was a careful mum. I don't make any apologies for that. I parented to the best of my ability doing what I felt was best for my children and our family. Don't you think that your questions are a little sarcastic? Mothers can be careful - it doesn't mean that we're raving, possessive lunatics, seeing perverts behind every tree. In the end most of us know when it is time to give them more independence and when it is time to let go. All that being said, unless you are a mother, you cannot know how hard it is to ever stop worrying about your kids. It's just part of thejob.

I agree with what you're saying that each of us know our own children and what they're capable of. The issue on this thread is that some people assume if a child is walking around without an adult by their side that they are being allowed to wander all over the ship unsupervised. In many cases that is far from the truth.

I can supervise my 13 year old without having to be with her every second. My allowing her to go to the promenade for a snack while I window shop is no different than when we rent a beach house and I let her go get ice cream while I walk around. She knows where she's allowed to go and when she has to come back to where I am. We've practiced this since she was about 8 and she hasn't given me any reason to doubt her ability to follow directions.

What happened to that child is awful and I'm sure the adults in her life feel horrible that she was put through that. However, the answer is not to put the child on a leash but rather teach her what she might have been able to do differently. I'm not in any way blaming the victim but every situation can be a learning experience.

I agree with what you're saying that each of us know our own children and what they're capable of. The issue on this thread is that some people assume if a child is walking around without an adult by their side that they are being allowed to wander all over the ship unsupervised. In many cases that is far from the truth.

I can supervise my 13 year old without having to be with her every second. My allowing her to go to the promenade for a snack while I window shop is no different than when we rent a beach house and I let her go get ice cream while I walk around. She knows where she's allowed to go and when she has to come back to where I am. We've practiced this since she was about 8 and she hasn't given me any reason to doubt her ability to follow directions.

What happened to that child is awful and I'm sure the adults in her life feel horrible that she was put through that. However, the answer is not to put the child on a leash but rather teach her what she might have been able to do differently. I'm not in any way blaming the victim but every situation can be a learning experience.

THANK YOU!

There's a middle ground between letting children roam free while still in diapers, and keeping them under lock and key until they're 30yo!

I'm sure evey good parent does the best they can.

Everyone needs to face the facts. Parents have the responsiblity to keep their kids safe. End of the story

SOoooo what your saying is it is the parents fault this girl got molested?

Wow, I hope they go to jail.

I mean really, the guy is the victim here. he was probably molested as a child and when he saw his opportunity he just took it. It is beacause he has impulse control from the abuse he suffered. And she was just asking for it too, right? C'mon, so were her parents. Leaving the 11 year old to ride the glass elevator alone. Probably up a few floors to see the view from up top and wave down to them. How dare they?!?!

Wow, you're right, they need to FRY!!! You NEVER leave a kid alone for any length of time unless they are 18 because that is the magic number. Once they turn 18 they are sent out into the world to do whatever they choose. Even tho they have never had this freedom, they will know exactly what to do. No worries, right?

This is exactly what parents who give their kids independence are trying to say but couldnt so nicely. Thank you!

First of all shame on Disney! People hear Disney and think that there kids are safe. We have taken our kids to Disney every year . We do so knowing that Disney is a pediphiles dream place. We are over cautious with our kids. In two weeks we will be taking them on their first cruise. not Disney. They are 7 and 8 yr old girls and will never be without us , unless they are in the kids area. However they will most likely spend most of the time with us.

On a recent cruise, 3 young children, probably the oldest was 7 were snorkling in a hot tub. Littlest one was having trouble keeping her mask on. I called security and after they arrived, it took a good 15 minutes before the parents arrived and they had the nerve to yell at the little ones. Another type of not watching your kids on a ship and the trouble it can cause.

I wonder what would Disney have done had the family gotten off the ship in Florida and told the police themselves regarding the crime, or better yet advised guest services that she would report it herself right now, please show me to the exit? Could the ship leave port canaveral if the authorities are informed that a crime has occurred even if it close to sail time? IJS, I know it's after the fact but something to think about going forward if a crime occurs while still docked in Florida.

I wonder what would Disney have done had the family gotten off the ship in Florida and told the police themselves regarding the crime, or better yet advised guest services that she would report it herself right now, please show me to the exit? Could the ship leave port canaveral if the authorities are informed that a crime has occurred even if it close to sail time? IJS, I know it's after the fact but something to think about going forward if a crime occurs while still docked in Florida.

Interesting and useful point. Perhaps even demand that the ship notify the local authorities. Didn't I read earlier that the parent/guardian did not want to press the issue?

Interesting and useful point. Perhaps even demand that the ship notify the local authorities. Didn't I read earlier that the parent/guardian did not want to press the issue?

Yes, you did read that - and I can quite understand why the family decided not to press charges.

Imagine you are that 11-year old, already upset by the crew member's assault. How much more upset are you going to be if the whole incident is escalated and you have to give an account of what happened to the police and later appear in a court and be cross-questioned.

I think that would further traumatise the child and give her a "victim" mentality.

Yes, I would pursue it to the uttermost, had my child been physically injured, but she was not. Far better to use it as a learning experience and teach her situational awareness and verbal and physical self-defence.

In saying that, I am not condoning the crew member's actions. Disney had the evidence and should have acted more decisively.

Nor am I blaming the child or her family. It was obviously an opportunistic attack and she was taken unawares.

You are correct, I believe once in the Bahamas they opted not to press charges which I can kiind of understand. I'm quite sure under their jurisdication it would not have went very far and/or been very expensive.

But if demanding that they notify the authorities would have stopped that boat from sailing, then for sure this would have gotten their attention or at least had this pervert in handcuffs in Florida. He was caught on tape red handed, and Disney knew exactly what they were doing and how to cover this up.

Not only did a crime occur while in Florida that they fail to report, but it was by their own crew member . . . and to brush it under the rug they sent him home. I'm pretty sure the family would not have dropped the charges had they arrested him in Florida. Very sad story, and I feel so sorry for the girl and her family.

I think people are missing a point here. My children are still young and I am not comfortable with them roaming alone. When they are older I would probably let them if they are together or with other kids. Comfort in numbers. That guy approached her because she was alone. But I will never apologize for keeping my kids safe. Those people getting all upset should ask themselves why?

I think people are missing a point here. My children are still young and I am not comfortable with them roaming alone. When they are older I would probably let them if they are together or with other kids. Comfort in numbers. That guy approached her because she was alone. But I will never apologize for keeping my kids safe. Those people getting all upset should ask themselves why?

What point are people missing? There's a big difference between an 11yo and and 8yo (your oldest). At 11, my DD was staying at home by herself over the summer. If you want your kids glued to your hip until they graduate HS, go for it. But that's not what's best for everyone.

That being said, would I leave my 11yo to roam alone on a cruise ship? Probably not. But was she "roaming", or was she "on a mission" (going to get ice cream, forgot something in the cabin, etc)?

Doesnt matter I saw kids running wild on the Allure this month, it was not horrible but some kids still did, no parents around, I know if I had a kid under 12 or so I wouldnt want them running around, I know my parents would have not let my sister and I do that

I'm pretty sure the family would not have dropped the charges had they arrested him in Florida.

:confused: Based on what? Why would Florida vs Bahamas made a difference in whether or not the family wanted to pursue criminal charges?

What difference does the location of the charges make when it comes to whether or not her parents/guardians wanted to drop the charges?

What point are people missing? There's a big difference between an 11yo and and 8yo (your oldest). At 11, my DD was staying at home by herself over the summer. If you want your kids glued to your hip until they graduate HS, go for it. But that's not what's best for everyone.

That being said, would I leave my 11yo to roam alone on a cruise ship? Probably not. But was she "roaming", or was she "on a mission" (going to get ice cream, forgot something in the cabin, etc)?

exactly.

The reason people are getting upset is because it is still ok to raise your kids how you see fit. this may change one day soon in our country but for now, the kids belong to their parents and they will raise them as they see fit.

believe me, I HATE it when little kids get in the hot tub and play around. I always ask where their parents are or call the pool guys. There are some really crappy parents who could care less what their little kids are up to but unless you want and have enough money for a secluded island, this is what you deal with. On the flip side you also get to meet great people, eat great food, and do all the other wonderful things you do on a cruise. these unsupervised kids are a meer distraction.

My kid is 11 and I let her go to the arcade without me when I am at the pool. I let her sign herself in but not out at night. She may sign herself out during the day with a friend and go to the pool. She holds the door for people, doesnt hit all the buttons on the elevator, and knows not to get herself in a comprimising situation. I really dont see the problem? And if you have a problem, I dont care. My kid, my rules.

I deal with helicopter parents all the time. Do you know how many young adults put their parents down as a reference on their resume? Do you know how many of them dont know how to use a broom? Im not kidding about the broom either. do you know how many have zero life skills nor common sense, or street smarts? I even had a 22 yo bring her mom for a job interview. Actually brought her mom into the lobby.

Yes, you did read that - and I can quite understand why the family decided not to press charges.

Imagine you are that 11-year old, already upset by the crew member's assault. How much more upset are you going to be if the whole incident is escalated and you have to give an account of what happened to the police and later appear in a court and be cross-questioned.

I think that would further traumatise the child and give her a "victim" mentality.

Yes, I would pursue it to the uttermost, had my child been physically injured, but she was not. Far better to use it as a learning experience and teach her situational awareness and verbal and physical self-defence.

In saying that, I am not condoning the crew member's actions. Disney had the evidence and should have acted more decisively.

Nor am I blaming the child or her family. It was obviously an opportunistic attack and she was taken unawares.

I think just the opposite. I would want my kids to know and feel that the law is on their side. Sweeping it under the carpet to avoid embarrassment seems a worse course to me, especially if this creep is left free to harm some other child. Of course, just my opinion.

Archived