Booze question

billys5764

DW has said she will not come if I try to smuggle liquor on the cruise. With that in mind, is it cheaper to pre-order liquor and make my own drinks or buy drinks at the bar?

Much much cheaper to buy a bottle or two

I admit I've been tempted to try to smuggle - but decided it wouldn't be the best example to set for our 12 year old daughter.

I've ordered a bottle of rum through Bon Voyage before. Total cost was a lot less than what I would have paid for rum & cokes throughout the cruise, though I missed having a variety of drinks. Am considering the Cheers package for our upcoming cruise - though that's certainly a lot more than buying a bottle or two through Bon Voyage.

This is our 3rd cruise.. i will tell you ive thought of it all

if you smuggle you run the chance of getting in trouble and not going on your cruise if caught( if they want to be hateful they can do this) ..normally they just take it and throw it away.. they will check every liquid in miami port..

also, depends on how long of a cruise you are going on...my cruise next sunday is a 6day cruise.. there is myself and my bf.. he drinks heavy i dont drink heavy at all.. so doing the math a avg drink will cost you $8 at the bar with tip.. 15% on everything... maybe even $9 if you drink 10 drinks thats 2 a day 12 drinks at $9 is well more than a $55 bottle of liquor...

ive been on 3 different boats with carnival and imag,sensat or breeze will not allow you to buy throw roomservice.

lol just buy a bottle

hope it helps

DW has said she will not come if I try to smuggle liquor on the cruise. With that in mind, is it cheaper to pre-order liquor and make my own drinks or buy drinks at the bar?

This is our 3rd cruise.. i will tell you ive thought of it all

if you smuggle you run the chance of getting in trouble and not going on your cruise if caught( if they want to be hateful they can do this) ..normally they just take it and throw it away.. they will check every liquid in miami port..

also, depends on how long of a cruise you are going on...my cruise next sunday is a 6day cruise.. there is myself and my bf.. he drinks heavy i dont drink heavy at all.. so doing the math a avg drink will cost you $8 at the bar with tip.. 15% on everything... maybe even $9 if you drink 10 drinks thats 2 a day 12 drinks at $9 is well more than a $55 bottle of liquor...

ive been on 3 different boats with carnival and imag,sensat or breeze will not allow you to buy throw roomservice.

lol just buy a bottle

hope it helps

Please show me some proof of ANYONE on ANY SHIP, ANY CRIUSE LINE not be able to cruise because they didnt follow the rules on their ticket contract ;)

Bought a bottle from Room Service on the last 2 cruises, Heck I've been on the deck (Lido) at around 1pm and told a lady about ordering from Bon Voyage... she called right then (onboard) and it was in her room when she went down at 1:30.

We bought a bottle of rum through room service and it saved us about $150 versus what it would have cost us if we had ordered each drink. We bought drinks in souvenier glasses and reused them for the cruise.

Back in '99, I brought my Coleman electric cooler on board, full of beer, CCL didn't even blink. I used to bring a couple of six packs of microbrew on board, carried it through onboard security, cabin steward would keep three bottles in fresh ice in the bucket at all times.

Ah, those were the good ole days!

I thought I had remembered bringing on booze in the late 90's but couldn't remember if it was allowed or I just brought it. Back than I don't think they the had xrays machines. It was just an security official that would ask you to open some bags.

I was wondering how this works....have a cruise in August for several birthdays and we all can drink our worth lol and paying the $55-$65 for a bottle would come out more efficient....do you place your oder before you cruise through the "Fun Shop" or after you board through room service

Buying a bottle would be most cost effective, just remember if you plan to mix with soda to also get the bottomless bubbles which is $6 per day or bring on your alotted 12 pack onboard. I got one of the bottles that you get a discount on with bottomless bubbles and used that the whole week, got a soda, went back to my room and topped it off with some rum.

Another tip is if you have enough people in your roll call group someone can organize an open bar meet and greet, we did ours for an hour and it cost under $12 per person for unlimited drinks (with some restrictions) during that hour. They will also do 2 hour ones. We all had multiple drinks at once and most of us left at the end with a drink in our hand as well. THAT I would say is the most economical way to drink on board LOL at least for the duration of the meet and greet!

~Katy

Well my experience is that you have to order through the bon voyage department or through the fun shops link on your booking page no later than 2 days before you sail... Other people say they have ordered on the boat, but both times I have tried i was told no, it must be pre ordered... it was also takin from me when i bought it on board.. so im guessing it is depending on ships.. but why not just buy it through the website and not take the chance of being told no on the boat.

I was wondering how this works....have a cruise in August for several birthdays and we all can drink our worth lol and paying the $55-$65 for a bottle would come out more efficient....do you place your oder before you cruise through the "Fun Shop" or after you board through room service

I've called Bon Voyage a month or two in advance on both of our cruises and both times had 3 bottles waiting in the room when we got there. (This isn't always the case / depending on port you are leaving from) It has saved us a ton of money and allowed us to order an occasional drink at the bar without worry of a huge bill at the end.

I would at least try to smuggle some rum runners or smuggs jugs, the most they will do is confiscate them IF they find them. A month ago I was able to get 1.75L of Silver Tequila, 1.0L of Gold Tequila, and 750mL of Jack Daniels aboard Freedom out of Port Everglades. Each rum runner was in a separate suitcase just in case security opened one of the bags.

Thank You to all that has replied...I think we will try our luck ordering pre departure...the web site also states that one bottle of wine or champagne can be brought on board during embankment day in your carry on...this would be great also

We always brought on our own wine & bottles of whatever and for the 1st time last Sept they were confiscated. We were told we could pick them up at the end of the cruise if we wanted. We were allowed 2 bottles of wine each not sure if thats what is technically allowed but we got on with them. This year I won't bother trying to get anything onboard...for one the hassle of being called to the "naughty room" and secondly the disappointment of my bottles being gone. We'll just do the BV this time around.

You can now order liqueur on line on the Carnival website, you do not have to call, look under Funshops

Thank you! Much more convenient. It must be going well for them if they are now doing this. I always figured the reason you had to call is because they didn't want everyone knowing about it.

Archived