Unrelated people traveling together

Sipsey

The age requirement thread made me think of a related question:

Suppose two unrelated adults go on a cruise together, not in a "relationship", just friends vacationing together. One gets ill or in an accident and is unable to give informed consent for medical treatment.

Is there some sort of waiver that we sign before boarding that gives the medical staff on the ship the authority to treat a person whose relatives cannot be contacted? Considering the age of many people travelling on cruises, people in their 60s and 70s, I would think this could be a situation which would occur at times.

When my kids traveled with their grandparents, I sent along a letter authorizing Grammy to make emergency medical decisions until we could be reached. While it might be challenged in a court, it still indicated my intentions. Enough that a physician could move forward with treatment, I hope.

This year in Europe we're carrying photocopies of our passports laminated to the back of an index card that lists basic medical and contact info. If, heaven forbid, there were an emergency, it would help medical professionals reunite our group and notify our families. Don't include your DOB or SS#, even if you're wearing it in your moneybelt.

Sue Do-Over

Carnival Legend (phone)

Medical Alert: XXX, taking YYY, Allergic to ZZZ

Traveling with: Paul Do-Over (spouse) US 555.555.1212

Jane Smith (sister) US 444.555.1212

US Emergency Contact: John Doe (family) US 555.333.1212

Insurance: BC/BS Group: 12345 Member: 987654

There is no such waiver to be signed. Both are adults, not married and there's no way to give any kind of consent for anything.

Absolutely incorrect. Medical power of attorney forms are available on line and in stationery stores which carry legal forms. They have been drafted in compliance with specific state requirements to cover precisely the situation OP referred to.

Emergencies don't require consent. An adult who cannot respond is usually considered an emergency.

This is generally correct. Medical personnel will treat until the person is able to give consent.

Absolutely incorrect. Medical power of attorney forms are available on line and in stationery stores which carry legal forms. They have been drafted in compliance with specific state requirements to cover precisely the situation OP referred to.

Because of these specific requirements, variable from state to state, they may not help much internationally, or in states other than that in which they were drafted.

Emergencies don't require consent. An adult who cannot respond is usually considered an emergency.

Thank you for stating this. Every time this type of thread pops up, people advise the poster to get a signed paper for consent of medical treatment. In an emergency, medical staff do not wait around trying to get permission to treat. It's called implied consent. It applies to children as well as adults in an emergency situation. People should think about it....if permission had to be granted, then we would have lots of people left to die out on roads and highways and left to suffer and die in all kinds of other accidents and illnesses.

My assumption after reading the OP's question was if there was a document provided by the cruise line to sign. My mistake if the OP was asking if there was any kind of legal document.

Archived