Skjolden and Sognefjord, Norway

As you can see from this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1844930

from just a few days ago, very few ships stop at Skjolden, and there doesn't seem to be much of a tourist type infrastructure.

Cruise ship visits to this port are growing annually with 28 ships booked for this year.

http://www.sognefjordcruise.com/english/portinformation/ships-2013

Whilst I've researched this port and fjord, it is always interesting to read comments from people who have already visited on a cruise ship. This helps me make an informed judgement on what to do in that port.

Skjolden have put in a new landing pier so even large cruise ships could dock. It is a delightful place to visit and walk around. The sail into and out of port is scenic too.

A rather poor

as Sogn og Fjordane and Lustrafjorden get narrower towards Skjolden.

and some photos (we weren't using the new pier):

7955438138_7ea079bef2_n.jpg

7955439116_a14602306a_n.jpg

7955435570_449d0afcb1_n.jpg

7955443086_aff33aac21_n.jpg

7955446418_761f2b7978_n.jpg

Skjolden tourist website.

We will be visiting Skjolden in July; I have done EXTENSIVE research on this port , as my plan was to do a private tour with our group of 10.

I wrote to the tourist board , read a 50 some page thesis on the development of tourism in Skjolden ( slow day!!) and much more. I can say with a fair amount of certainity that I read every blog , review , article on the place available!

My conclusion...I booked my first cruise sponsored shore excursion...it really is the way to go as of now. Car rentals , taxis , etc are very complicated and rare , guides are almost non existent and the town's population is 200.

The area looks wonderful , I would highly recommend a ship´s tour (which I usually avoid like the plague , lol!)

Kim

Skjolden have put in a new landing pier so even large cruise ships could dock. It is a delightful place to visit and walk around. The sail into and out of port is scenic too.

A rather poor

as Sogn og Fjordane and Lustrafjorden get narrower towards Skjolden.

and some photos (we weren't using the new pier):

7955438138_7ea079bef2_n.jpg

7955439116_a14602306a_n.jpg

7955435570_449d0afcb1_n.jpg

7955443086_aff33aac21_n.jpg

7955446418_761f2b7978_n.jpg

Skjolden tourist website.

We will be visiting Skjolden in July; I have done EXTENSIVE research on this port , as my plan was to do a private tour with our group of 10.

I wrote to the tourist board , read a 50 some page thesis on the development of tourism in Skjolden ( slow day!!) and much more. I can say with a fair amount of certainity that I read every blog , review , article on the place available!

My conclusion...I booked my first cruise sponsored shore excursion...it really is the way to go as of now. Car rentals , taxis , etc are very complicated and rare , guides are almost non existent and the town's population is 200.

The area looks wonderful , I would highly recommend a ship´s tour (which I usually avoid like the plague , lol!)

Kim

Thank you both so much for your responses. I agree it is a beautiful area, which I look forward to cruising into.

Thanks for the photos and video which showed the fjord narrowing.

Like you, Kim, I may go on a ship's tour, but my daughter is researching going kayaking and I may go walking (weather permitting).

• 2 months later...

Kim

Hi Kim: Our itinerary for 2014 has changed from Flam to Skjolden/Sognefjord --hope you report back on your experience. Thanks.

Thank you both so much for your responses. I agree it is a beautiful area, which I look forward to cruising into.

Thanks for the photos and video which showed the fjord narrowing.

Like you, Kim, I may go on a ship's tour, but my daughter is researching going kayaking and I may go walking (weather permitting).

We had perfect sunny weather in Skjolden, so went on two beautiful walks. One along the low road along the rapidly flowing river, past the camping grounds and llama farm to a fork in the road with a walk shown, up a steep hill, with spectacular views over the fjord. We only walked to the first farmhouse up the hill, but the walk continued on. In the afternoon, we walked along the lakeside to a beautiful waterfall. Table mates continued on another mile where they walked up a steep mountain to a restaurant.

There is little in the town, but the staff at the local tourist information are very helpful with walking suggestions. You can hire kayaks and bikes from the Tourist Information, swim in an indoor heated pool in the building, eat at a cafe, or just sit outside, as we did, and soak up the spectacular view.

I wouldn't recommend any private long distance touring from this port, because of the possibility of delays on the narrow winding mountainous roads. A ship tour was delayed and late getting back to the ship because of a road accident in the mountains.

We had perfect sunny weather in Skjolden, so went on two beautiful walks. One along the low road along the rapidly flowing river, past the camping grounds and llama farm to a fork in the road with a walk shown, up a steep hill, with spectacular views over the fjord. We only walked to the first farmhouse up the hill, but the walk continued on. In the afternoon, we walked along the lakeside to a beautiful waterfall. Table mates continued on another mile where they walked up a steep mountain to a restaurant.

There is little in the town, but the staff at the local tourist information are very helpful with walking suggestions. You can hire kayaks and bikes from the Tourist Information, swim in an indoor heated pool in the building, eat at a cafe, or just sit outside, as we did, and soak up the spectacular view.

I wouldn't recommend any private long distance touring from this port, because of the possibility of delays on the narrow winding mountainous roads. A ship tour was delayed and late getting back to the ship because of a road accident in the mountains.

Thank you so much for reporting on your walks. After the "shock" of an itinerary change and not being able to do the Flam railway (on my life list) Skjolden looks like a lovely walking place and a swim in the indoor pool may be very welcoming!

Thank you so much for reporting on your walks. After the "shock" of an itinerary change and not being able to do the Flam railway (on my life list) Skjolden looks like a lovely walking place and a swim in the indoor pool may be very welcoming!

It is only a small indoor pool, but friends enjoyed their swim inside, as the water in the fjord was freezing!

• 1 month later...

Kim

Can you tell us what ship tour you took? What did you think of this tour?

Can you tell us what ship tour you took? What did you think of this tour?

We took the tour that visited the Nigardsbreen Glacier and to the Guapne Church. It was a really lovely excursion and we quite enjoyed it.ebu2anuj.jpg

Skjolderaguta9es.jpg

Glacier Nature Center ( very nice!)u6uhyded.jpg

Guapne Church8e9asega.jpg family at the Glacier

Archived