Can you Fire your TA?

I originally booked by cruise on line (first time cruising) Several friends are also going on this cruise and recommended that I transfer the booking to a TA. This way I could get OBC or free gratituties.

I was recommended by friends to use the local TA. Went and visited and once she heard there was a group of 10+ going on this cruise (from all over) she mainly wanted the entire booking. I knew then I should have ran, but instead I explained that many were already booked through their own TA and other did not want to be tied to a TA.

Anyway I asked what perks she would offer and I was told that she could not tell until I switched the booking to her. BTW I'm in a Jr. Suite on RCI's Oasis of the Sea. After I signed she told me I that I qualifed to a $25.00 OBC. One of my friends's mom booked yesterday in a balcony cabin on the same deck and she received a $100. OBC.

So if I find another TA that will offer a better OBC, can I transfer my booking or am I stuck with her for the next 18 months until I sail?

I believe that the current TA can block the transfer.

If this happens, you have several choices:

Suffer

Cancel and rebook. Does the TA have a cancellation fee? How important is you cabin? You could lose it if you cancel and rebook

I would suggest talking with another TA (maybe the one your friend's mom went through). See if the new TA can help. If not, see what your present TA says when you want to cancel the booking. She might find more OBC to keep you as a customer. Either way, I would make a written complaint to the BBB about the ways she manipulated you.

BTW, there are plenty of Junior Suites still available.

I really don't want to cancel the booking. One of my close freinds is right next door and there are 10+ of us all on the same deck.

If it becomes a hassle I will just take it as a lesson learned and since we are such a small community, I will be sure what happened is known all over town.

Do TA's control what they give you or is it from the crusie lien to them to us?

If you haven't made your final payment yet, i think you can switch. You'll have to go through RCCL for this. They have a simple form you need to fill out and send to them.

But he would lose the meager OBC he has now.

But he would lose the meager OBC he has now.

It might be worth the loss of $25 to show this TA that he did not appreciate being lied to and manipulated. I would do it without a moment's hesitation, as she is going to lose more than $25. :D

you were all set and then friends talked you into switching in hopes of some obc and you got hosed. how much time and energy is it worth to go to the rodeo again? I'm from a small town and spreading the word around will do her more harm then screwing around with the BBB (assuming there is one)

After I signed she told me I that I qualifed to a $25.00 OBC. One of my friends's mom booked yesterday in a balcony cabin on the same deck and she received a $100. OBC.

So if I find another TA that will offer a better OBC, can I transfer my booking or am I stuck with her for the next 18 months until I sail?

If the only problem that you are having is the OBC, is it really worth going through so much effort and angst for a lousy $75? It would not be for me.

Say the cruise is costing you a total of $3000 with travel costs. The $75 difference is just 2% of the total cost.

DON

everyone has posted meaningful comments.

You don't fire a TA - you can ruin their reputation (and let them or not); you can risk the cancellation fallout;

OBC'S are dispersed, based on different factors - one can shop for pricing (OBC's prior to booking), but to "shop" for OBC is not a criteria I recommend. Everybody doesn't always get OBC - I go for the Price, Date, Cabin - if I get OBC, it's a nice surprise - not the criteria for selection.

Trip Insurance is always recommended and whoever you use could potentially save you money on it vs another source.

You want pleasant/efficient service from a TA - if you have already frosted their cookies, you might try to cancel your booking without it costing you any money, so that you get returned everything you have already invested.

Fees matter - is this TA charging any fees? (to book you / to cancel?)

Not being right next door to your friends isn't the worse thing in the world - those walls are thin - you might appreciate better privacy in another location.

Having done groups in the past-- sometimes the rates are cheaper and there are better perks when you are sailing as a group.

but if you dont know how it works you could be getting ripped off because you dont know what to get

Some cruiselines-- for every 8 cabins (double occupancy) the group gets one free berth (cruise fare only) which i divided among the cabins.

soemtimes there is OBC and yes a balcony cabin will get more OBC then a person in an oceanvie

since it is your first time--- check with the agency on cancellation fees or what does it charge to make changes

I originally booked my cruise directly on line with RCI. Received a great deal. Out of the 12 cabins booked 8 booked on line, I think I'm the only one that has switched her reservation to a TA.

Honestly, I did it for any perks that I might receive. No other reason. I did not realize that that TAs give different OBC. After all a Junior Suite should get more OBC than a Balcony cabin. But it did not happen. Everything in life is not fair. So I will live with it.

I am not going to change my reservation, I will leave it with my current agent and I will know for the future.

Thank you all for your suggestions and this is definately a lesson learned.

Archived