gratuities from travel agent

zship

My answer would be yes if you have the right TA.

We now get them free for having cruised over 9 times but have never paid for them for the first nine cruises either. We do however always cruise in Vista Suites or preferably Owners Suites.

Check out various TA's that specialize in Oceania.

Does anyone know if it is common for travel agents to pay gratuities for good customers who book a top suite on Oceania ?

For good ones....actually they will for any grade cabin if you are a repeat customer. The exact $$$ can be negotiated 5 to 9% is pretty common. Upper levels maybe more.....its your deal:rolleyes:

I suppose that the auto tip is a suitable base amount, but the service on Oceania has always been so good (our last cruise on Riviera was a real stunner, service wise), that we have never felt comfortable not tipping more, anyway.

We do this not only to reward the hardworking staff, but in the hope that we will be pegged as good tippers. Trust me, that is a club that you want to be a part of... :D

The frugal brigade will now shout me down, but the extraordinary, wonderful manner in which we are served is its' own reward.

You do not need to be in a top suite to have your TA pay the gratuities. We have always been A1 or A2 and have never had to cover the automatic gratuities. Get a good TA.

Cheers,

Don

I suppose that the auto tip is a suitable base amount, but the service on Oceania has always been so good (our last cruise on Riviera was a real stunner, service wise), that we have never felt comfortable not tipping more, anyway.

The question was do TA's give prepaid gratuities

If you choose to tip extra above & beyond the recommended amount that is another matter

We get the gratuities paid via our TA but we do tip a bit extra to some of the staff (our choice)

We usually book B or C cabins so not extra services from a butler etc...

Lyn

Well said! We have always felt that the auto tip was a good starting point. From there, we usually give the key staff more as the service warrants. Many staff members remember us from previous cruises. Is it directly related to tipping? Maybe, but we appreciate the warmth and exemplary service we experience on all of our cruises. We like being members of that club!

We do this not only to reward the hardworking staff, but in the hope that we will be pegged as good tippers. Trust me, that is a club that you want to be a part of... :D

The frugal brigade will now shout me down, but the extraordinary, wonderful manner in which we are served is its' own reward.

This is a club whose membership is more than worth the money! ;)

Well said! We have always felt that the auto tip was a good starting point. From there, we usually give the key staff more as the service warrants. Many staff members remember us from previous cruises. Is it directly related to tipping? Maybe, but we appreciate the warmth and exemplary service we experience on all of our cruises. We like being members of that club!

We have met many crew that remember us from previous cruises ..

we did not tip them extra ...

HMMMM maybe that is why they remember us because we did not tip everyone in sight :rolleyes:

Maybe we belong to the "cheapskates club" because we did not flash our cash at everyone we saw :(

Our TA has always covered gratuities - has always given us a cash rebate and we have always given additional gratuities to staff where earned at end of cruise. Yes, we reserve OS or VS suites.

WHAT, "FLASH OUR CASH TO EVERYONE WE SAW" How did you read that in the other post???????I agree with Jim and Stan, it's a starting place and with additional service is given---an additional tip is nice. We belong to that club, and happy to be a member of treating people the way I like to me treated.

Rick & Ron

Our TA gives us shipboard credit, which we can use for tips, wine, in the spa, boutique, etc. Tips, of course, will still be paid, either out of pocket or with Tje credit, but it gives us more flexibility. And we always tip extra at the end of the cruise of it has been earned ~ and on O, it always is. We also praise our cabin steward, waiter, omelet maker, etc. to management as that can earn staff perks that money can't buy.

Harriet

As I take longer cruises, labeled as "Grand Cruises", they are advertised and sold as tip inclusive for ALL cabins from inside to owners .. Thus on longer cruises the agent has nothing to do with tipping ... Shorter cruises may not be so. That has been my experience of 21 day or longer forays.

Rather than have an agent give me on board credit, I would prefer they apply any "perk$" to my bottom line.

This will be our second trip on the Riviera in an Oceania Suite and our TA has never paid our tips.

Speaking of tips, last year my husband took very good care of our butler the day we boarded and I think we saw him two or three times after that.......our room attendant said everyone had the same problem with him. We are very low maintenance so we really have very little for him to do for us, but it would have been nice to know that he was around if needed. This year I will let him make my spa appointments and some additional restaurant reservations if needed. This summer we will not tip until the end of the trip...lesson learned.

This will be our second trip on the Riviera in an Oceania Suite and our TA has never paid our tips.

Maybe it's time to look for a new TA - or maybe not.

Only you know the answer to this :)

Our current TA has always given us gratuities. We only paid them on our first cruise (different TA) as we knew nothing about cruising. Our second was a package that included them. Our next cruise has grats included from O so our TA has given a shipboard credit that it roughly equivalent.

Did I mention that we almost always book an inside cabin? We have traded and purchased upgrades, but the initial booking has only twice been a balcony, both of which we had to cancel. :-(.

Point being, included gratuities are not tied to the level of your cabin.

Mo

Tips are an add on the TA negotiates with Oceania. When the TA has a group on a cruise they include the tip as an add on benefit to the TA. For us it's a good will inclusive. When I booked my Crossing, the tip was included because of the TA's contract with Oceania. It precluded me from using the AMEX Platnium benefit. I had to make a choice as to which was more valuable to me for that particular sailing.

It precluded me from using the AMEX Platnium benefit. I had to make a choice as to which was more valuable to me for that particular sailing.

Hence I stopped using my Plat. Amex - the PPG are always more than $300 (and I don't drink champagne). Plus I get double points/miles for travel with Chase Sapphire.

The Amex is no longer worth the high annual fee for me - YMMV.

Archived