Price Drop but no guarantee our Suite when we rebook??!!

CruiseWhere

I'm hoping that some of you may be able to shed some light here. We have put our deposit down for our cruise that we will be embarking on on Dec 3rd, that was over 2 weeks ago. We have a specific Neptune Suite reserved. I noticed a price drop and contacted our TA she in turn said that she would be in touch with HAL. We have just heard back from her and was told that to take advantage of this drop in price we/she would have to cancel our present booking and rebook but that HAL would not guarantee that we would be able to get the specific NS that we had originally booked!!! No OBC either instead of the price drop!!! Not very fair IMO. What if it drops again?? Would we have to go through this whole exercise again??? As of now we haven't done anything....would love some advice or opinions.:confused:

Thank you!!!

I am sorry but this makes absolutely no sense at all, I would call your TA back and ask to speak with a supervisor and ask them to call HAL to reprice the present reservation. (The current promotion from HAL is not requiring any rebooking that I am aware of at worst they may have to take away gving you an on board value coupon book :D)The TA will have to be transferred to a different department that makes these adjustments, now as far as the Ship Board Credit, that most likely is coming from the TA and that is between you and them. The SBC is coming out of the agencies commission, I can see them reducing the amount originally offered but to totally take it away especially if you have a Neptune Suite seems a bit extreme.

SOunds like the new price is for new bookings only. Given that, you will have to cancel and rebook your cruise. When you do that, all your reservation items (special OBC, cabin assignment, promotions, shore tours, dining reservations, etc) will be canceled and you have to rebook everything.

As to your cabin assignment, my first question to you is whether or not the new price is for a cabin category or a "guarantee" (HAL often uses guarantees for their teaser prices). If it is guarantee, obviously you cannot pick your cabin. If it is not, you likely will be able to rebook your original cabin, but again, it is not a certainty (someone may have your cabin on waitlist).

Good Luck

DaveOKC

She told me that it only applied to new bookings and that is why a complete rebook was needed ane in doing that we may lose our specific NS.:mad:

Not to be rude or very unreceptive but the coupon books to me are not worth the paper they are written on, I'm sorry....

If it is not, you likely will be able to rebook your original cabin, but again, it is not a certainty (someone may have your cabin on waitlist).

Good Luck

DaveOKC

And therein lies the problem....It is a specific NS.:rolleyes:

Perhaps now that it is over 6 months away, we should just wait to see if it drops again. If so we may roll the dice then to see if we will still be able to hold that specific NS on the Dec 3rd 18 Hawaii Cruise. Kinda like trying to decide the best time to jump on the escalator...

And therein lies the problem....It is a specific NS.:rolleyes:

I would think you should get the same cabin back with the rebooking. Unless you absolutely have to have that cabin, I would try it. Did you check to see which other cabins (NS) are available now and see if you would be happy with any of them as a fall back position?

DaveOKC

I would think you should get the same cabin back with the rebooking. Unless you absolutely have to have that cabin, I would try it. Did you check to see which other cabins (NS) are available now and see if you would be happy with any of them as a fall back position?

DaveOKC

There is one other one but me being the type of person or should I say woman that I am REALLY wanted/had my heart set on this one for a myriad of reasons, my husband chose this one but like a typical man doesn't mind if we go with another one....silly....I know...BUT....:o.

There is one other one but me being the type of person or should I say woman that I am REALLY wanted/had my heart set on this one for a myriad of reasons, my husband chose this one but like a typical man doesn't mind if we go with another one....silly....I know...BUT....:o.

I do not blame you for wanting a specific cabin. On some ships there are ones that I really like and go out of my way to get them.

Remember, if you lose your cabin and get you second choice, you can always waitlist for your original cabin in case it reopens (happens alot just before final payment date, so watch carefully then).

I can understand about wanting a certain cabin.

But if I saw a very good price drop -- I would take it -- JMO

It is a $336 drop (only) for two!!! To be very honest with you it's not the amount it's that there always seem to be an out for HAL. When things seem to good to be true or to easy...the usually are :(

She told me that it only applied to new bookings and that is why a complete rebook was needed ane in doing that we may lose our specific NS.:mad:

Not to be rude or very unreceptive but the coupon books to me are not worth the paper they are written on, I'm sorry....

Your cruise is not till December, you are a long way off from final, HAL has in the past told agencies that they had to rebook and get new reservation numbers but I would say in the last 90 to 120 days they have stopped this, their new department that handles the repricing no longer requires them to be rebook, they do state what amenities you may loose so there would be absolutely no need to fear loosing your cabin and the reservation number stays the same. The only ship board credit you could possible loose that is not from the travel agency is the 140th Anniversary promotion of the $100 per cabin Ship Board credit but if you agency was offering ship board credit as a gift and or from group amenities that would not change other than the gift amount could be reduced. Is it the $100 from the 140th anniversary promotion they state you are loosing? The bit about loosing your cabin number is not correct and my guess is the agency was trying to talk you out of changing because they will be making less commission....Also I totally agree about the Onboard Value coupon book of all the cruise lines out there HAL probably offers one of the least desirable book.

I don't understand this situation at all. I generally book direct with HAL and when I see a price drop, I call and have always gotten the reduced price and not lost any OBC.

If the OP booked under the 140th Anniversary Promotion which a December cruise is highly likely they did, if they want to take advantage of a current lower price (Current one week sale that will last for a few weeks they will lose the $100.00 in Ship Board Credit.

I don't understand this situation at all. I generally book direct with HAL and when I see a price drop, I call and have always gotten the reduced price and not lost any OBC.

We, also, got the price reduction a few weeks ago on a fall TA cruise. But . . . it was not a "for new bookings only" reduction, which is apparently the case with OP. OP: keep an eye out for across the board reductions, which could come along before final payment. Then you won't need to rebook. Our TA took care of it within hours, and our cabin No. and all OBC's were not affected.

Lisa,

As a TA, does that make sense from a business point of view?

I am not understanding what you are asking but if it is good business sense for HAL to reduce the price and take away the previous given Ship Board credit then YES I do think it is good business sense. The consumer has the choice to pay the higher price and keep the Ship board credit given or they can except the lower price that still saves them money over all. Why should HAL loose double.

HAL has a new department that once you speak with a Sale Rep and they verify that in fact there is a lower price they transfer you to this new department. This new department no longer makes people rebook, change booking numbers etc. I was explained this is saving lots of problems that were occurring previously because not all HAL Reps were processing the changes the same. I honestly think the answer that were give to the OP were strictly from their TA and not from HAL.

Look before you leap. Have you tried going to the HAL site and doing a dry run booking? Going part way through the process will give you an idea just how many of these SA and SB suites are still available.

I am most ill at ease with the attitude of your TA whose commission goes down if your fare goes down. It just doesn't pass the smell test. I frequently take advantage of price drops with my online TA and have never been told that my cabin assignment couldn't be guaranteed.

I think this can be done with you keeping your same stateroom. If necessary, suggest to your TA that if that cannot be done, you will be looking to rebook with another TA who can accomplish this for you.

I agree. Do I bit of poking around to see how many "SA" or "SB" or "SC" cabins are available. The risk of losing your specific cabin is small but nevertheless it could happen. If you see there are many empty cabins, you will have to decide which you want more........

If you must have your cabin, then you decide to pay for it.

If you rather have the lower price, you take the small chance you could be moved to a different cabin.

Up to you.

Let us know what you decide. :)

I don't understand the reasoning of cancelling the 140 anniversary credit. Seems nickel-and-dime compared to the price of a booking. Just give them the lower fare and the credit.

We wish you sat in on the meetings where they decide to deny the credit. You could 'fight our fight' for us. :)

<snip>

HAL has a new department that once you speak with a Sale Rep and they verify that in fact there is a lower price they transfer you to this new department. This new department no longer makes people rebook, change booking numbers etc. I was explained this is saving lots of problems that were occurring previously because not all HAL Reps were processing the changes the same. I honestly think the answer that were give to the OP were strictly from their TA and not from HAL.

This was my experience with our May 2013 cruise. We (a group of 4 rooms) booked long in advance and so, not surprisingly, there were price drops for two of the rooms (inside and window) (not for the SCs, they never budged, but no surprise). Every time there was a price drop, I called and asked for it to be applied to the existing reservation/room, and either the agent I got did so or I got transferred to another department, which did so. It was never a problem at all, I never had to re-book, and we ended up saving a LOT of money without losing our rooms. So, I would press this if it makes financial sense for you.

The only time I was told I would have to "re-book" was when i called about a short term promotion for new Neptune Suite bookings, which gave you a free pre-cruise night hotel night; I was told that to keep my room rate, I would have to rebook as a guarantee SC to get the free hotel room. I declined, because I did not want to lose 5190 (and surely would have had it gone into rotation).

Good morning! I recently called HAL to ask them to honor a price drop on a third party site. I was transferred to their new price drop department and was told they do not honor third party price drops. We booked this cruise directly with HAL before we got off the ship during our last cruise. I seem to remember them honoring all price drops in the past.....maybe that's why they have the new department. Anyone have this experience, too?

OK....so called the TA she got on the phone for the third time and finally reached an HAL rep that knew what they were doing!!!! Yes we received the price drop without losing our room!!!!!

As I find in life, not everyone is on the same page and in this day and age not everyone is trained in the same way..so unfortunately that can lead to asking the same question to 3 different people and getting 3 different answers.......unfortunately...that's just life...

Lesson learned....just keep asking until.................................

Thank you all for all your advice, answers and two cents;)

Archived