The downside of 1-2-3

gregjm

We got off the Solstice today and I will do a detailed review soon. However, I wanted to comment on something that I noticed on this cruise (May 17 Tracy Arm). This was our sixth Celebrity cruise and third time on the Solstice and came away with a very negative impression of the impact of Celebrity's 1-2-3 free beverage package promotion.

We chose a lower fare instead of the beverage package since we only have a couple of drinks a day while on a cruise. What was very evident, though, was a fairly large group of cruisers on this cruise that were determined to drink as much as they possibly could since it was "free".

Out of our six Celebrity cruises the level of extremely intoxicated guests seemed MUCH higher than all of the other five Celebrity cruises combined. One afternoon, while having a late afternoon cocktail, the bartender had to have a drunk guest removed because he was harassing other guests who were sitting at the bar. Cruises are supposed to be fun and drinking is a part of the experience. However, If you give people "free" drinks, there is a certain percentage that are just plain sloppy drunks and detract from the classy atmosphere Celebrity has nurtured over the years.

So, that's my mini-rant on 1-2-3. I hope this isn't the start of a trend with Celebrity, and I hope that the 1-2-3 promotion was a one time experiment.

On our cruise, I did notice many who were drunk, and how do u know if the person had the 123 package ?

They walk around with their SeaPass card in their hand and stop at every bar :D

Seriously, if you sit at a bar or in a lounge, you know the 1-2-3er's because they order a drink and don't have to sign for it.

Seriously, if you sit at a bar or in a lounge, you know the 1-2-3er's because they order a drink and don't have to sign for it.

You could also paid for the package ;)

I have been on 3 cruises in the last few months and all of them qualified for the 123 package.

One was a 5 day Carribean during spring break on the Constellation

One on the Reflection during spring break

One on the Summit to Bermuda.

I had the package on the first 2.

Didn't notice any excessive drinking or drunks. I had a great time on the first two but remember more about the last one. :confused:

I think it is a great promotion and hope that it is continued. I would like to see Celebrity to just include it in the price, that way I wouldn't have to listen to my wife tell me that I don't need it. :D

Thanks for sharing your experience. Like you, we didn't choose the beverage package for our next cruise. Hope it doesn't have a negative impact on our cruise experience.

Correct, there's nothing to identify if a passenger has the free 1-2-3-Go package or if they paid for a beverage package separately.

Of course

...my post was simply an observation based on six Celebrity cruises and the marked difference in this one. Drink packages have been available for three of the six Celebrity cruises, yet this was the first where 1-2-3 guests were on board. Also, many of the overly "served" were bragging about drinking for "free".

Thanks for sharing your experience. Like you, we didn't choose the beverage package for our next cruise. Hope it doesn't have a negative impact on our cruise experience.

It won't. Any day cruising is better than a day doing just about anything else... :)

I have always had the package whether paid for or free and I do not think it makes me drunker when it is free. That said, the last couple of cruises that I have been on (or my friends have) where the 123 promo was in play, we have not seen an increase in the amount of drunk and disorderly people on them. Certainly some people that were well and truely tipsy, perhaps even drunk but not causing a disturbance. I hope that it stays that way and the cruiseline does not become too "fun ship" and stays respectable.:D

Of course

...my post was simply an observation based on six Celebrity cruises and the marked difference in this one. Drink packages have been available for three of the six Celebrity cruises, yet this was the first where 1-2-3 guests were on board. Also, many of the overly "served" were bragging about drinking for "free".

Thanks for taking the time to write your personal observations. With your experience with five other Celebrity experiences which have had the 1-2-3 and comparing those with this experience with the promo, to me it is much more valid thatn a first time cruiser with nothing to compare to.

I surely don't want Celebrity to go the way of a booze-line cruise. Impacts everyone on the ship both with increase cost to everyone with 1-2-3 and behavior. Frankly I am all for having a great time but yours is not the only observation with some of these tendencies with 1-2-3 and hope it isn't continued.

Will be trying my first celebrity cruise this summer. We too have the 123 deal and upgraded.

We feel that it just makes our trip an all inclusive. We have been to many island all inclusives where booze is obviously included and we did not see any down and drunk vacationers. Just people enjoying the sun, pool, and the resort.

I am sure it will be the same on the celebrity. Our point in getting the 123 and upgraded was freedom. Freedom to drink 4 bottles of water, a soda, a coffee, a martini ( for example) we work hard all school year. It's vacation. No worries.

Again, just my opinion. I love the idea that cruising has beverage packages to fit the exact need of the client.

We got off the Solstice today and I will do a detailed review soon. However, I wanted to comment on something that I noticed on this cruise (May 17 Tracy Arm). This was our sixth Celebrity cruise and third time on the Solstice and came away with a very negative impression of the impact of Celebrity's 1-2-3 free beverage package promotion.

We chose a lower fare instead of the beverage package since we only have a couple of drinks a day while on a cruise. What was very evident, though, was a fairly large group of cruisers on this cruise that were determined to drink as much as they possibly could since it was "free".

Out of our six Celebrity cruises the level of extremely intoxicated guests seemed MUCH higher than all of the other five Celebrity cruises combined. One afternoon, while having a late afternoon cocktail, the bartender had to have a drunk guest removed because he was harassing other guests who were sitting at the bar. Cruises are supposed to be fun and drinking is a part of the experience. However, If you give people "free" drinks, there is a certain percentage that are just plain sloppy drunks and detract from the classy atmosphere Celebrity has nurtured over the years.

So, that's my mini-rant on 1-2-3. I hope this isn't the start of a trend with Celebrity, and I hope that the 1-2-3 promotion was a one time experiment.

Thanks for sharing your observations. Hopefully is not a significant trend. Each cruise atmosphere is a little different depending on the passengers. Anyone who has a done a B2B can attest to having one leg fabulous (great mix of people etc) and the next leg a challenge due to passenger mix. Glad to hear it did not alter your cruise. Welcome home!

I have been on 3 cruises in the last few months and all of them qualified for the 123 package.

One was a 5 day Carribean during spring break on the Constellation

One on the Reflection during spring break

One on the Summit to Bermuda.

I had the package on the first 2.

Didn't notice any excessive drinking or drunks. I had a great time on the first two but remember more about the last one. :confused:

I think it is a great promotion and hope that it is continued. I would like to see Celebrity to just include it in the price, that way I wouldn't have to listen to my wife tell me that I don't need it. :D

We had this package on the Equinox in March....OMG....it was the best. Even just going for a special coffee in the AM was fantastic and grabbing a bottle of water for the room at night was equally fabulous. But, the best part was the martini bar before dinner and wine with dinner. No....we also did not really encounter drunk people except for one at the show....he was actually quite entertaining and security was keeping an eye on him but never had to take action. However, I have seen many more drunks on previous cruises where the 123 promotion was not in effect. I actually hope it wasn't just an experiment -- but am booked on another Celebrity cruise in which this was offered but I chose the other perks instead -- although think I will miss the convenience of this package. It was just great for us -- and never even got a little buzzed.

We got off the Solstice today and I will do a detailed review soon. However, I wanted to comment on something that I noticed on this cruise (May 17 Tracy Arm). This was our sixth Celebrity cruise and third time on the Solstice and came away with a very negative impression of the impact of Celebrity's 1-2-3 free beverage package promotion....

...Out of our six Celebrity cruises the level of extremely intoxicated guests seemed MUCH higher than all of the other five Celebrity cruises combined. One afternoon, while having a late afternoon cocktail, the bartender had to have a drunk guest removed because he was harassing other guests who were sitting at the bar. Cruises are supposed to be fun and drinking is a part of the experience. However, If you give people "free" drinks, there is a certain percentage that are just plain sloppy drunks and detract from the classy atmosphere Celebrity has nurtured over the years.

Just curious if you know for a fact that these individuals had the 1-2-3 package as opposed to a purchased package or even paying as they go or if you were speculating that this was the case. Did you ask them or did they tell you about it?

I hope your experience was the exception, not the rule. I will have the free beverage package (upgraded to premium) on my cruise in September, and I'm very excited about having whatever I want without having to think about it or sign all the annoying little slips of paper!:)

Believe it or not, there are two things I'm really looking forward to. One is trying lots of different martinis without worrying that I won't like something that cost $12.00:rolleyes:, and the other is being able to get any kind of water I want whenever I want it!:D

We had the 123Go! promo on the 15 night Equinox transatlantic, and we upgraded it to Premium when we boarded. At home we keep wine and beer--no hard liquors--so I was kind of excited at this opportunity to try all sorts of martinis and fabulous mixed drinks. For the first two or three days I went on a wild taste test. After that I went back to my normal drinking habits. I mean, really, there's only so much alcohol a body can take!!! I tried my best and Mother Nature defeated me. The spirit was willing to try all 15 of the Molecular Bar martinis and after day 4 the body said no no no no.

So why am I telling you this? Easy. Any drunks you saw on your Celebrity sailing, they'd probably have been drunk anyway with the freebie package or without. (That is, any drunks you saw after the first few experimental days. :cool: :D)

We had the 123Go! promo on the 15 night Equinox transatlantic, and we upgraded it to Premium when we boarded. At home we keep wine and beer--no hard liquors--so I was kind of excited at this opportunity to try all sorts of martinis and fabulous mixed drinks. For the first two or three days I went on a wild taste test. After that I went back to my normal drinking habits. I mean, really, there's only so much alcohol a body can take!!! I tried my best and Mother Nature defeated me. The spirit was willing to try all 15 of the Molecular Bar martinis and after day 4 the body said no no no no.

So why am I telling you this? Easy. Any drunks you saw on your Celebrity sailing, they'd probably have been drunk anyway with the freebie package or without. (That is, any drunks you saw after the first few experimental days. :cool: :D)

My liver needs a break every other day. So no use going too hard, too fast.:D

My liver needs a break every other day. So no use going too hard, too fast.:D

Haha! I know what you mean. Celebrity made a bundle off us on the 123Go! promo because after 123 we were Gone. That's why I don't think the promo promotes drunkeness. Drunks are going to be drunk. The rest of us might try to be drunk on "free" booze but like I said, the spirit is willing and the flesh is weak. :rolleyes:

Sorry to say that it looks like you will not be getting your wish. It has been reported on another thread that several TA's have reported that a variation of 123 is coming back and the booking window will be from 6/1 - 6/19 for cruises going from September 2013 through April 2014, so it will be extended 1 month further than 123 was.

Sorry to say that it looks like you will not be getting your wish. It has been reported on another thread that several TA's have reported that a variation of 123 is coming back and the booking window will be from 6/1 - 6/19 for cruises going from September 2013 through April 2014, so it will be extended 1 month further than 123 was.

It would be nice if they brought it back for 2015!

Archived