Norwegian BREAKAPART!! (from on board the 5/19 sailing)

joeski27

Joe, don't even know what to say, except soooo sorry for what you're going through between your ankle and now these rough seas. It really sucks :eek::(

Through all your posts, I could tell how much you were looking forward to this cruise. I hope you had at least a few good times.

And I feel bad for those boarding tomorrow. At the very least, I'm sure boarding will be delayed.

Stay safe for the rest of your journey. Thanks for taking the time to update us.

ps I'm on LI, and the winds were fierce today. I lost power for about 6 hours

Wow, that is scary. Bermuda runs can be nasty.

Hope you feel better.

The winds have died down here in Atlantic City area. Hopefully the ride gets a bit smoother soon.

They don't sail through the triangle do they???????? :)

It is scary and it sucks Joe is having a miserable time because of his ankle and weather. I do have a Co-worker that does some big sailing event from NY to Bermuda every other year along with many other runs just for fun and said the weather is always a crap shoot.

Michael

They don't sail through the triangle do they????????

It is scary and it sucks Joe is having a miserable time because of his ankle and weather. I do have a Co-worker that does some big sailing event from NY to Bermuda every other year along with many other runs just for fun and said the weather is always a crap shoot.

Michael

The weather up the east coast has been terrible. I live in NYC and the last 3 days we've had torrential rain and today the wind is really bad. The seas are rough from the lousy weather we've been having. The wind is still strong as I'm writing this. Mother Nature hasn't been a happy lady lately :(

The weather up the east coast has been terrible. I live in NYC and the last 3 days we've had torrential rain and today the wind is really bad. The seas are rough from the lousy weather we've been having. The wind is still strong as I'm writing this. Mother Nature hasn't been a happy lady lately :(

I hear ya! Here in Upstate (Corning), the conditions have been the same although it cleared up around 3 in the afternoon. We've had strong winds all day...nothing like getting thrown around on the highway! :rolleyes:

Hope the seas settle to give you a gentle rock, to rock you to sleep!

Horrible. I am sure most of the ship problems are the weather.

Horrible. I am sure most of the ship problems are the weather.

I would agree. I remember seeing pictures of Disney Fantasy after few months they were in service and she took a fierce beating in some bad weather, huge wave swells, wind and rain.some areas of that ship was in chaos afterwards. I believe they had to cancel a sailing to get it back right. Unfortunately this is nothing new, i would just prefer it didnt happen at all and especially not on breakaway. But anytime a ship goes up against bad seas and strong winds. Bad boy ocean is going to win that battle everytime.

Fortunately, i don't get sea sick, but i feel horrible because i know a lot of people on that cruise is feeling pretty miserable right now. Seeing land in the morning will be a wonderful thing for most.

I can only hope for CALM seas when we sail.

I would agree. I remember seeing pictures of Disney Fantasy after few months they were in service and she took a fierce beating in some bad weather, huge wave swells, wind and rain.some areas of that ship was in chaos afterwards. I believe they had to cancel a sailing to get it back right. Unfortunately this is nothing new, i would just prefer it didnt happen at all and especially not on breakaway. But anytime a ship goes up against bad seas and strong winds. Bad boy ocean is going to win that battle everytime.

Fortunately, i don't get sea sick, but i feel horrible because i know a lot of people on that cruise is feeling pretty miserable right now. Seeing land in the morning will be a wonderful thing for most.

I can only hope for CALM seas when we sail.

I was on Rhapsody during Hurricane Ivan back in '04. It took some damage, all cosmetic like what is sounds like is happening to Breakaway. Also had a friend on the RCI ship a couple years ago that got caught in the bad storms off the coast of Egypt that did some structural damage. Either way, the ships still sailed and most made it home fine. Of course others seem to breaking their own bodies. Joeski should have waited to twist his ankle until today so he could absolutely ask for compensation :) j/k before I get flamed.

Oh boy!

We are on her tomorrow, aft balcony.

Winds are high tomorrow too! Weather stinks, but what happens when hurricane weather starts??? Breakaway is supposed to handle east coast year round.

Probably reinforce the partitions and any others they are having issues with.

I was on Rhapsody during Hurricane Ivan back in '04. It took some damage, all cosmetic like what is sounds like is happening to Breakaway. Also had a friend on the RCI ship a couple years ago that got caught in the bad storms off the coast of Egypt that did some structural damage. Either way, the ships still sailed and most made it home fine. Of course others seem to breaking their own bodies. Joeski should have waited to twist his ankle until today so he could absolutely ask for compensation :) j/k before I get flamed.

True..lol

I would be curious to hear about any other ships out there to see if they sustain any damage. I know celebrity pulled out of Bermuda on Friday as well. I know gambee said something about windows breaking. But im thinking on land stores and homes by the ocean board up the windows for that purpose.unfortunately breakaway is taking the full brunt if those high winds and can't do that..or maybe they should??

I was also on princess during hurricane wilma. But since it was a caribbean route we were not in that path long, because we could be rerouted. However there are no other options for Bermuda routes i guess.

All i know know Sheehan will not have Norwegian going out like carnival with the bad wrap. So im pretty sure he is not

getting much sleep tonight lol. He's going make sure this problem is fixed(dividers). Well i hope he does. Breakaway is his 'baby'. The last thing he wants is bad press. bad reviews and press in travel industry can ruin a business.

We will see how this progresses...

Joeski,

Sorry to hear about your injury. However, we live by the theory that their IS a reason for everything. If not wounded, you could have wounded your neck on the free fall slides. ?? or something else worse. Just our theory. You can use it, if you want. :p We live by it. How else could you live, with all the disruptions in life. We prefer a reason for disruptions and destiny, albeit thin. :D Hope you heal soon. :)

The balcony scenario sounds frighting. I've always been fascinated with NCL's policy on balcony dividers. In our experience cruiselines open the dividers in high winds/heavy seas to prevent breakaway, which is exactly what you experienced.

I'm still trying to understand NCL's policy on balcony dividers. Only open in port, not open while underway. Weird. Often opposite of other lines. Other lines open them all in rough seas so they don't blow away/breakaway.

I guess your hammock is missing now, along with all your other balcony enhancements. lol. Such as your pool and palm trees. lol. JK. I'll bet you're glad you didn't invest in balcony toys now. They would all be in the sea.

Are waves breaking on your balcony. I have a suspicion the/your balcony was closed not only for upper balcony divider meteors, but waves. Ironically new builds need to tweak their bow wave breaks, to prevent waves on M6's, and B6's balconies. :eek: This is plausible with 25 foot seas, especially with a new build.

They tweaked Oasis twice.

We were on DCL Fantasy in Sandy, so.... I have some experience. That ship's extended balconies on deck 5 were flooding and taking water in cabins. :eek: DCL opened those dividers a day before the heavy seas.

Anyway, stay safe, unwounded, and welcome home, to the USA.

Joeski,

We were on DCL Fantasy in Sandy, so.... I have some experience. That ship's extended balconies on deck 5 were flooding and taking water in cabins. :eek: DCL opened those dividers a day before the heavy seas.

Anyway, stay safe, unwounded, and welcome home, to the USA.

Interesting. I've never been on a ship that opened the dividers for heavy seas. Most made sure they were locked. More and more the lines are taking the Norwegian rule that they must be closed at sea.

So sorry, I'm guessing you night didn't get much better as the winds continued into the night.

Thanks for taking the time to post, I would have had my head in a bucket tossing my cookies!

OMG ... First of all sorry to hear about your injury. And the story about the balcony dividers coming apart in high winds is incredible. While reading through this thread I wondered to myself how long it would take for a reader to ask about compensation! :eek: Hope you make the best of it and finish the cruise safely. Thanks for sharing this information.

Cdn in KS

Wow, after reading this I went to the front and snapped some pictures of the damage. That's crazy!!! Sorry about your injury that blows.

I guess that is the beauty of being aft, while the movement was substantial the wind was none existent. I slept pretty good while the ship rocked me to sleep.

After booking fwd on the Silli I don't think I'll ever do it again.

Joeski, so sorry about your ankle. Get home, get some rest and feel better.

We are boarding in a few hours. Haven't seen or heard anything from NCL about a delay so we are still planning on heading to the pier a little before noon. Any other damage reports from elsewhere on the ship from those disembarking this morning? I wonder how the glass enclosed Haven courtyard held up? Also, how widespread was the seasickness? I imagine if people were getting stomach sick everywhere then it's going to take some extra time to get the ship (and especially the cabins) cleaned up and ready today.

Sun's out in NYC so that's a promising start!

Have you asked about compensation for this???

I'm generally not one to jump on the "compensation" bandwagon, but I do have to agree here. A brand new ship should not be falling apart like this. It's dangerous and unacceptable.

So sorry to hear about the ankle. Hope it heals quickly!

The divider and open railing sound scary. Whatever it is I hope it gets fixed. If the design is the problem I hope they can somehow find a way to work it out without taking the ship out of commission. This ship is too important for NCL to not to a smashing success.

So a couple of hours later and the ship continues to be pummeled by high winds and very rough seas. Obviously we are feeling the worst of it all the way up here at the bow. About an hour ago the crew actually came by room to room and took away all of the patio furniture. Can't vouch for other areas but assuming the same. By the way we ended up with a total of 5 "ajoined" cabins as a result of the damage, and from my angle did spot at least 1 other broken divider about 2 or 3 decks up. So I am fully assuming there has to be similar issues in other places (guessing all furniture must have been taken in from the Waterfront too).

I'd like to get out and see more, but this is just the icing on the cake for me this week. I very badly sprained my ankle on Tues evening on one of the main stairwells (my fault, just missed a step, contorted my ankle on the next step, felt a snap/pop, and the rest was history. And needless to say my cruise was completely ruined from that point on (no snorkeling, no caves, no aquarium, no Hamilton, no Swizzle Inn, no ropes course, and no slides). We've already got all our bags packed and though it's a beautiful ship I just want to go home and try my best to forget this disappointing week ever happened. Just want to get home to the doctor and find out how many ligaments I tore in my foot. Yay.

That's all for now. Going to take a peek outside as I continue to intermittently hear variety metal components breaking and falling every few minutes. :D

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience!! I hope your ankle feels better soon!

Archived