Norwegian BREAKAPART!! (from on board the 5/19 sailing)

joeski27

Why would you ask for compensation for rough weather requiring you to stay off your balcony? I've encountered this several times on cruises where rough weather has prevented us from using our balcony for safety reasons, or even to go out on deck at all. It's for your safety, and no compensation should be required for this common sense move. ;)

Joe, I'm so sorry to hear about your ankle. That's not a nice way to start a cruise. :(

I was on the Jewel Sandy Cruise last October. It was windy and rough but I still used my balcony a ton, maybe more than I even normally would. In addition, the fact that people could walk behind my room from another room would bother me

I heard that too! Nowhere to upgrade those with broken balconies! I wonder how quickly they can get them fixed!

Well if it is only 5 or 6 as Joe stated then fixing them in time should not be an issue. knowing that NY is home port I am sure NCL has made arrangements to have supplies and replacement items nearby. This isnt their first time on the water and have faith that the issues will be addressed quickly.

Well if it is only 5 or 6 as Joe stated then fixing them in time should not be an issue. knowing that NY is home port I am sure NCL has made arrangements to have supplies and replacement items nearby. This isnt their first time on the water and have faith that the issues will be addressed quickly.

They better add to that my balcony light that never got fixed during the voyage :D

Well the thing is its not a very quick or easy fix. Unless they have complete replacement sets of panels and frames, there will likely be some welding required. And further, there's no way they can put things back as they were before. Obviously they'll have to reinforce them in some way, otherwise there's no doubt it will happen again.

And at final check this AM there were a total of 8 panels on deck 8 on our side, plus about 4 or 5 above us on deck 9 (the B6 large balcony cabins I think?).

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Oh boy!

We are on her tomorrow, aft balcony.

Winds are high tomorrow too! Weather stinks, but what happens when hurricane weather starts??? Breakaway is supposed to handle east coast year round.

Hurricane season starts officially on June 1.

The weather here in Massachusetts is cold & nasty for the end of May. We actually had to turn the heat back on. According to the weather forecaster, snow was predicted for upper elevations of Northern New England.

Joe, I hope that your ankle heals soon. Did you visit the ship's medical center?

Meanwhile, you'll be going home today to get it treated.

Hurricane season starts officially on June 1.

The weather here in Massachusetts is cold & nasty for the end of May. We actually had to turn the heat back on. According to the weather forecaster, snow was predicted for upper elevations of Northern New England.

Joe, I hope that your ankle heals soon. Did you visit the ship's medical center?

Meanwhile, you'll be going home today to get it treated.

Nope, no medical center for me. But in a further act of idiocy I tried for two days to man up and not let it ruin my precious vacation - bought a brace at Dockyard pharmacy and walked on it constantly. Turns out, amazingly enough, that didn't help. So now it will be off to the doctor this week, at some point when I can get away from work. Ugh. Though in all honesty I hope everyone else enjoyed there voyage, I'll just have to live vicariously through all those who did get to do the fun stuff :rolleyes:

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Wow! You know when we were sitting on our mini balcony last week the dividers were jiggling in the wind and I said to my husband that they looked thin and not held on so tight. Design defect! He said they were probably strong and just made high tech to save weight. I even took a picture to show how little held them on. It was like one screw. 1378173886_ImageUploadedByCruiseCriticForums1369581454.007324.jpg.2b915f4fe56e992affec7779ed741b95.jpg

Also on our side. Port MA mini suite 13192. If the divider was open it would totally block the exit to the balcony. The way the slider opened. It really couldn't be open if we wanted to use the balcony with our neighbors.

so sorry you hurt your ankle. I did the same thing playing soccer a few months ago and i know how much it hurts. I also tried the brace and totally made it worse.

Took about 2 months to totally heal but was much better after a week

According to a passenger who just got off Breakaway: Steve Paternoster "There were VERY high speed winds on the return home on the last sea day. I did not personally see this (I had a balcony stateroom and had no issues nor could I see any issues from my balcony). The good news was that the ship is so massive that in my personal opinion you could barely even feel the sea or the wind at all."

I'm generally not one to jump on the "compensation" bandwagon, but I do have to agree here. A brand new ship should not be falling apart like this. It's dangerous and unacceptable.

I agree....it was last full day on ship (right?) so maybe just a free drink or two/pax in those cabins?

Wow!! I am so sorry to hear about your ankle! That royally sucks!!

I have some videos of the waves crashing against the front. Insane! My husband and I ventured outside yesterday to the front of the lifeboat deck and the waves were insane.

Just off the breakaway and had no idea this happened. Sorry about your ankle and the lack of use of your huge balcony.

IMO, The ship did rock a little, but I never thought it was bad. Amazing how different parts of the ship the waves feel so different.

I did notice a distinct sewage smell near the aft elevators, especially around deck 6, 7, and 8. Many people commenting about it as we were going to dinner.

The doors to 2 showers in the spa broke yesterday, and were being fixed. Obviously they needed to be stronger. I was surprised because I did not think the motion was bad. I've been on boats all my life, maybe I am used to the motion.

Just off the breakaway and had no idea this happened. Sorry about your ankle and the lack of use of your huge balcony.

IMO, The ship did rock a little, but I never thought it was bad. Amazing how different parts of the ship the waves feel so different.

I did notice a distinct sewage smell near the aft elevators, especially around deck 6, 7, and 8. Many people commenting about it as we were going to dinner.

The doors to 2 showers in the spa broke yesterday, and were being fixed. Obviously they needed to be stronger. I was surprised because I did not think the motion was bad. I've been on boats all my life, maybe I am used to the motion.

Wow. The shower doors broke in the spa and they fixed them last week ! Can't believe they broke again

I was on the Jewel Sandy Cruise last October. It was windy and rough but I still used my balcony a ton, maybe more than I even normally would. In addition, the fact that people could walk behind my room from another room would bother me

Pretty sure if waves are breaking and splashing your balcony, most people would not be using it.

I'm much more concerned about the people embarking today that they may not have a balcony for the entire week. That's a totally different thing and they should be upgraded and/or compensated some way.

Ideally they are able to fix something so they can just enjoy the cabin they paid for.

Archived