Just a suggestion-koalfornia

All the adds show up on CC refer to KOALFORNIA. I understand what you are trying to say BUT with cute pictures of the koala.

Someone from "down there" should alert the Australia/NZ tourist people that there are HUGE billboards in LA stating MEXIFORNIA!!!!! There is a segment of the Mexican population that thinks ALL MEXICANS should be part of the US population. IT is call ATZLAN and it is for those who think the US STOLE part of Mexico. Sorry guys, we won the war with MEXICO a LOT of years ago.

A total insult to the American people. As one who was BORN AND RAISED In EAST LOS ANGELES (when I graduated from HS-GARFIELD-they even made a movie about my HS-in 1965 there was 6% white, 9% Asian and the rest Hispanic-although all my Chicano (AMERICAN) friends were BORN AND RAISED in LOS ANGELES (MOST had been here LONG before my own family which immigrated from Italy in the early 1900's). They were NOT ILLEGALS as there so very, very many now are now. The NEW billboards in LA are promoted by those ILLEGALS and their backers-Por La Causa, Si Su Puende, La RAZA, etc., etc.

PLEASE contact your tourist agencies and relay that KOALFORNIA is NOT a good thing with the HUGE immigration/illegal debate going on in the USA right now. BAD marketing plan.

All the adds show up on CC refer to KOALFORNIA. I understand what you are trying to say BUT with cute pictures of the koala.

PLEASE contact your tourist agencies and relay that KOALFORNIA is NOT a good thing with the HUGE immigration/illegal debate going on in the USA right now. BAD marketing plan.

As I haven't seen the advertisements on CC, which you mentioned, could you please advise what the ads are (maybe with a link).

Thanks Greatam.

As I haven't seen the advertisements on CC, which you mentioned, could you please advise what the ads are (maybe with a link).

Thanks Greatam.

There is a link in Kiwi Kruzer's post (second one in this thread). To me it looks like a new attraction at San Diego Zoo and maybe the original poster should direct their comments to the management of the Zoo.

I have NO IDEA where the KOALFORNIA adds have come from-the zoo, an add agency, the State of Australia.

But for those born and raised in LA and HUGE billboards in quite are few places around LA that are promoting MEXIFORNIA which is basically AZTLAN ( the OLD MEXICAN region INCLUDING SO CA BEFORE the Mexican American WAR) it is a VERY POOR , POOR marketing campaign.

Someone should have looked into the semantics. KOALFORNIA is so damn close to MEXIFORNIA that only those that are NOT US citizens and don't deal with the ILLEGALS and their ilk don't get it.

I have no idea what this has to do with Australia & New Zealand Cruising. Best place to vent you anger would be directly with San Diego Zoo who are running this promotion, or if your problem is with the advertising on CC then contact the CC admins.

And personally I can't see much similarity between Koalafornia and Mexifornia but maybe that's just because I'm not from around those parts.

I have NO IDEA where the KOALFORNIA adds have come from-the zoo, an add agency, the State of Australia.

But for those born and raised in LA and HUGE billboards in quite are few places around LA that are promoting MEXIFORNIA which is basically AZTLAN ( the OLD MEXICAN region INCLUDING SO CA BEFORE the Mexican American WAR) it is a VERY POOR , POOR marketing campaign.

Someone should have looked into the semantics. KOALFORNIA is so damn close to MEXIFORNIA that only those that are NOT US citizens and don't deal with the ILLEGALS and their ilk don't get it.

Clearly the administration (or the ad agency) of the San Diego Zoo don't get it, or maybe they feel it is a clever play on words and don't feel it has the negative connotations that you do.:) I suggest you contact the San Diego Zoo.

I understand you guys in California have problems with the illegal Mexicans in your state, however, I hardly think this advertising campaign has anything to do with Australia, apart from the fact that it is advertising the koalas that they have at the San Diego Zoo. We were there a couple of years ago and saw the koalas, so it is not a new addition they are advertising. If you want to have a whinge.... ring up San Diego Zoo - it is their problem, not ours.

Most Australians understand where you are coming from in regards to the illegal immigrants..... have you not read about the problems we are having with the boat people from Indonesia and Afganistan etc.? It is not a unique problem for just the US.

Now I am going to have a little whinge..... there is no such thing as the "State of Australia" We are a country, and a continent in our own right so please don't downgrade it and all who live in it by calling it a State! :mad:

There is a link in Kiwi Kruzer's post (second one in this thread). To me it looks like a new attraction at San Diego Zoo and maybe the original poster should direct their comments to the management of the Zoo.

Now I understand.

Maybe CC shows these ads on the US site, because I haven't seen them on CC Australia site.

I am going to cut Greatam some slack with regard to the "State of Australia", because she has provided a wealth of helpful information to CC members over the years.

Now I understand.

Maybe CC shows these ads on the US site, because I haven't seen them on CC Australia site.

I am going to cut Greatam some slack with regard to the "State of Australia", because she has provided a wealth of helpful information to CC members over the years.

I just can't understand why she has come on here and complained, that's all! :mad:

Ok, this has absolutely nothing to do with Australian people, it's is an American ad, run by an American agency, for an AMERICAN tourist attraction. Perhaps do your research before coming here all guns blazing blaming Australia for being insensitive about something they had nothing to do with.

Sorry but you have the wrong idea...it looks like it is a San Diego Zoo promotion nothing to do with Australian Government or us for that matter. Just by the way Australia is a country not a state. Understand you have immigration problems so do we.... but this is not the place to air them.

Sue

I just can't understand why she has come on here and complained' date=' that's all! :mad:[/quote']

My comment wasn't directed at you, Eileen.

Only Greatam knows why she put the comments on this thread.

However, she is a frequent user of cc (13,763 posts), so I feel she saw the ads on CC, then looked for an Australian thread to express her annoyance.

Could be wrong.

This is the CC connection. However, we don't see the advertisements.

Remember the Alamo !!!

I do, been there and there is still a lot of feeling all around south west of the US (California, Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona and Texas). Another derogatory term is 'Texicans' which get some people really riled, unlike Tex/mex which shows a melding of cultures.:D

I think it is just a piece of advertising which may not have been researched very well.:D

Most Australians understand where you are coming from in regards to the illegal immigrants..... have you not read about the problems we are having with the boat people from Indonesia and Afganistan etc.? It is not a unique problem for just the US.

Hate to be pedantic (well actually I don't, I enjoy it) but Australia's problems are more to do with "asylum seekers" than "illegal immigrants". And yes there is a difference, particularly when compared to the issues in the US.

Do Mexifornians live in trees and eat leaves all day like Koalafornians:D:D:

Mexifornians sounds nothing like Koalafornians? In fact Koalafornians sounds very close to Californians and a pretty cleaver advertising word play in my opinion!

In fact a few songs come straight to mind:)

Koalafornians Know how to Pardee, Koalafornians Know how to par ar ar dee:)

Dream of Koalafornication, Dream of Koala for nee K a a shon:)

Koalafornia Here I Come, Right Back Where I Started from:)

I put the third one in for some of our more seniors lol

Den

I am pretty sure the Koalas are not illegal immigrants. No one here had any thing to do with this marketing campaign it appears to be from the zoo itself......maybe since it's provoked such an intense response in you then you will need to take it up with the zoo in question &/or their advertising agency.

Also as others have pointed out, Australia is a COUNTRY in it's own right and not one of your many states. I am surprised you didn't know this as you seem inordinately interested in history.

^ Or Koalafornia dreaming, on such a winters day?

This could become a good game:D

"If your goingggg to Mex i co Cisco, Be Shore To Wear Sombrero on your Hair"

All Together Now!

Take Me Koalafornian Back Mac

Take My Koalafornian Back

He Live somwhere Out On The Track Mac,

So Take Me Koalafornian back:D:D:D

T

All Together Now!

Take Me Koalafornian Back Mac

Take My Koalafornian Back

He Live somwhere Out On The Track Mac,

So Take Me Koalafornian back:D:D:D

I vote that this one wins. :D:D

By the way, congratulations on giving up smoking. I have been watching your "clock". You know that we are all cheering you on and you can't possibly let us down by giving up. :D Keep up the good work.

I vote that this one wins. :D:D

All these bad song lyrics:eek:. I am sure the OP just wants us to contact our TAs to stop the ads, but as it is the Zoo and their PR people, I am just going to boycott the Koala exhibit. :D

I can bear not seeing a Koala for a few weeks.:D

Archived