Jet Lag, Long Flight Challenges?? Solutions??

One of the big challenges for us in going to Australia and New Zealand in early 2014 will be jet lag and the massive number of time zones we must cross. For us in the Eastern US zone, it is +16 hours ahead for Auckland, etc. In Sydney, it is +14 hours ahead. From Columbus, Ohio and the east, it is a six hour time-zone between Hawaii and our home.

From the Wall Street Journal this morning, they have this headline: "To Avoid Jet Lag, Travel Like a Scientist" with these highlights: "Scientists are studying a wide range of strategies to help long-distance travelers avoid the dreaded feelings of jet lag. Frequent fliers often have sworn-by practices to combat jet lag, whether it's adjusting a sleep schedule days before a trip, taking the hormone melatonin, seeking out bright light at certain times, or forcing the body to eat and sleep on local time immediately upon arrival. Researchers say they think they have the magic formula to combat jet lag and get your body on a new clock as fast as it can. What works best? The news from most researchers appears to be that the best formula is a combination of all of these tactics."

Here is more background and insights from this article: "As a general rule, it takes about a day for each time zone traveled for a person's body clock to catch up to the local time. The severity of jet lag varies widely. Traveling east, to a later time zone, seems to be much harder than traveling west. Crossing more time zones makes it more difficult to avoid symptoms, which include sleepiness and confusion. Older people and very young people fare worse with jet lag, probably because older people's body clocks are deteriorating and very young people's body clocks are still developing. Helen Burgess, director of the biological rhythms research lab at Rush University Medical Center, developed a plan for herself to avoid jet lag during a trip to Egypt, eight time zones away from her home in Chicago. For several days before the trip, Dr. Burgess advanced her bedtime by one hour each night, and got up an hour earlier each morning. She took a low dose of melatonin in the early afternoon to help her reset her body clock. And she sought out bright light in the very early morning, avoiding wearing sunglasses to maximize her exposure, to wake up her body clock."

Did you like that part of things being harder for those older? The article also shares: "While most researchers agree that light exposure and melatonin can help reduce the symptoms of jet lag after arriving at your destination, not everyone thinks it makes sense to switch sleep schedules before a trip, which can cut into social time with family and friends. Some of the new thinking about jet lag is coming from work with animals. Some of the research in mice indicates that the master clock typically adjusts to a new time zone after around three days. Most people have body clocks that run longer than 24 hours, which generally makes it easier to fly west than east, researchers say. When people fly west, they have to stay up later before going to bed. That is easier to do than having to go to bed earlier than normal. Seeking out day light at certain times, and avoiding bright light at other times, are some of the main strategies researchers recommend for resetting the body clock faster. Melatonin is another popular way to help shift the body clock faster to a different time zone. Dr. Lewy, of Oregon Health & Science, recommends taking a small dose at the local bedtime every evening until the body clock resets. Some people have shifted their body clocks but not everyone has the discipline or interest in such regimens to ease jet lag. For short trips, readjusting the body's clock might not seem worth the effort."

Anyone have any good suggestions, secrets and/or past experiences to share? Did not realize there was an east-bound versus west difference.

Full story at:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323336104578503663495599972.html

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Celebrity Solstice Visual Highlights? From our June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in France, Italy, Kotor and Dubrovnik, I have pull together a number of wonderful visuals of the Solstice, its features, food, entertainment, options, etc. We are now at 6,160 views for this shorter version of my larger full review of that cruise and all of the port pictures/details. Check these postings and added info at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1803477

One of the big challenges for us in going to Australia and New Zealand in early 2014 will be jet lag and the massive number of time zones we must cross. For us in the Eastern US zone, it is +16 hours ahead for Auckland, etc. In Sydney, it is +14 hours ahead. From Columbus, Ohio and the east, it is a six hour time-zone between Hawaii and our home.

Well, you can right away improve your perception of the time zone difference by reversing it: think of it as -8 hours to Auckland, and -10 hours to Sydney. And, strictly speaking, there are only 5 time zones between Hawaii and Ohio; it's just that Hawaii doesn't observe daylight savings, so they don't change their time.

Generalizations and studies are fine, but you have to find out how you react to a major time change. For instance, I find in vastly easier to travel east than west; usually, when travelling to Europe, I'm fine after a day or two, but travelling back to North America, it takes me a good 1-2 weeks to recover fully.

For my fellow Buckeye in Columbus:

Last year, when I flew to Auckland, I broke the flight up by staying overnight in Los Angeles and then resuming my flight the next day.

Upon boarding the plane in Los Angeles, I set my watch to Auckland time. I was able to doze during the flight, but certainly not sound sleeep.

Upon arriving in Auckland--about 8:00 A. M. their time--and after checking into my hotel, I took a shower, changed clothes, very briefly got myself organized, and went out and started sightseeing the rest of the morning and afternoon. I returned to the hotel about 5:00 P. M., had Happy Hour, and ate an early dinner. I was in bed by 9:00 P. M.

I had no jet lag what so ever!

I was pleasantly surprised!

We always find the easiest way is to forget what time it is in your home town and adjust your watch to local time. If it is morning.... keep busy and stay up, don't give in to the urge to nap... worst thing you can do! Go shopping, sightseeing or go for a walk, just stay awake. After the first night's sleep in the new timezone we are fine. We find it easier to go from west to east.

The day I board the plane I make note of what the time is in the destination city and will either stay awake as long as possible or try and get some early sleep. I try to match the destination time on the plane only. It can sometimes be helped by having a late night before the flight. Also when you get to the destination jump right into touring and start eating the regular meals at the right times. The other thing that really helps is to arrive fresh if there is a stopover join the airlines loyalty lounge for access to showers and better surroundings that you can acutally have a shower and change of clothes to arrive fresher.

We always find the easiest way is to forget what time it is in your home town and adjust your watch to local time. If it is morning.... keep busy and stay up' date=' don't give in to the urge to nap... worst thing you can do! Go shopping, sightseeing or go for a walk, just stay awake. After the first night's sleep in the new timezone we are fine. We find it easier to go from west to east.[/quote']

That always worked for me, until our last trip to USA. I did everything suggested (got into the sleeping pattern of our destination - West Coast), and didn't go to bed until it was local "bed time". I had jet lag for a couple of weeks. Every night I woke up at 1am and couldn't go back to sleep. Yuk. :D

I agree with the research that it is much more difficult flying eastward than westward.

The key for me is hydration and sleep. I try to adjust as quickly as possible to the sleep patterns of the respective country (as far as possible, it is far easier to stay awake to reach the night rather than going to bed as soon as you arrive). I also keep hydrated during the flight, this helps immensely. I also try to dose on the plane to help adjust to the arrival location's timezone.:D

Earlier this year we did London to Sydney and return for our cruise. As soon as we board the plane we always change our watches to our destinations local time. We left UK about 10pm, had a few hours stop in HK, then onto Sydney where we landed about 9am. The outward journey wasn´t too bad and as soon as we got to the hotel, we were up and out, albeit having an early night. The following few days in Sydney we were fine. Perhaps it was the excitement of going on holiday, we felt we didn´t really have a problem with jetlag.

The homeward journey was a different story. we were off the ship by 9am, dropped our luggage at the hotel and spent the day in Sydney, then back to the Airport for flight to HK, few hours there and back to UK. We left Sydney about 9.30 pm for 9hr flight to HK landed there at around 5.30am, our flight to UK left at 10am, then 12hr+ late we landed in Uk at 4pm. by the time we got to our hotel it was about /pm and we had to be up at 3am to check in for our 6am flight back to Spain. The return journey was horrendous the plane was in gloomy darkness for most of the time with all the blinds down so our body clocks couldn´t adjust to the day time. We were shattered by the time we arrived home and it took a week or more to get over it.

Sandy in Spain

Only one way to ward off Jet lag,stay hydrated with plenty of water and drink "No" Booze on the journey, even no wine with dinner.

We did Perth to Las Vegas last June and then return,about the same distance as NY to Sydney without a single bit of jet lag and similar time zone changes.

This was my first long haul with Zero Booze lots of water and first long haul without jet lag:)

You cant beat time zones, just sleep when you are tired.

I flew Perth to London once via Tokyo, Anchorage and over Scotland with a one hour stop in both Tokyo and Anchorage, this was real long haul! I had the worst jetlag ever but I bet with the zero booze lots of water and sleep when I am tired , doing the same again I would not have jet lag.

I'm an American living in Australia and make the trip to the east cost of the US once a year, sometimes twice.

I do what most of the above posters said: I immediately change my watch to my destination's time, stay hydrated and nap on the plane. If it's 8am when I land, I just stay up all day but usually find myself in bed that night by 9pm.

I do feel a little off for a few days, but I can wake up and go to bed at normal times. I have to emphasize though, DO NOT NAP, that will completely mess up your schedule for weeks!;)

I'm an American living in Australia and make the trip to the east cost of the US once a year, sometimes twice.

I do what most of the above posters said: I immediately change my watch to my destination's time, stay hydrated and nap on the plane. If it's 8am when I land, I just stay up all day but usually find myself in bed that night by 9pm.

I do feel a little off for a few days, but I can wake up and go to bed at normal times. I have to emphasize though, DO NOT NAP, that will completely mess up your schedule for weeks!;)

The body really does recover best if the hydration levels are kept up. Sleep on the plane and then it should put off until it is night in the new timezone.:D

1. Take daylight flights as far as possible.

2. Put your watch on the time at your destination as soon as you take off .

3. Break your flight up into segments rather than flying straight through .

viz: Melbourne - Auckland, (then overnight) then Auckland - San Francisco next day .

4 . Jet lag is worse flying from West to East .

5. Go easy on the grog . Drink plenty of water . Keep well hydrated .

For my fellow Buckeye in Columbus: Last year, when I flew to Auckland, I broke the flight up by staying overnight in Los Angeles and then resuming my flight the next day. Upon boarding the plane in Los Angeles, I set my watch to Auckland time. I was able to doze during the flight, but certainly not sound sleeep. Upon arriving in Auckland--about 8:00 A. M. their time--and after checking into my hotel, I took a shower, changed clothes, very briefly got myself organized, and went out and started sightseeing the rest of the morning and afternoon. I returned to the hotel about 5:00 P. M., had Happy Hour, and ate an early dinner. I was in bed by 9:00 P. M. I had no jet lag what so ever! I was pleasantly surprised!

Billy and Charlie's Mum: We always find the easiest way is to forget what time it is in your home town and adjust your watch to local time. If it is morning.... keep busy and stay up' date=' don't give in to the urge to nap... worst thing you can do! [b']Go shopping, sightseeing or go for a walk, just stay awake[/b]. After the first night's sleep in the new timezone we are fine. We find it easier to go from west to east.

Sutho: The other thing that really helps is to arrive fresh if there is a stopover join the airlines loyalty lounge for access to showers and better surroundings that you can acutally have a shower and change of clothes to arrive fresher.

MicCanberra: The key for me is hydration and sleep. I try to adjust as quickly as possible to the sleep patterns of the respective country (as far as possible' date=' it is far easier to stay awake to reach the night rather than going to bed as soon as you arrive). I also keep hydrated during the flight, this helps immensely. I also try to dose on the plane to help adjust to the arrival location's timezone.[/quote']

t60: Earlier this year we did London to Sydney and return for our cruise. As soon as we board the plane we always change our watches to our destinations local time. We left UK about 10pm' date=' had a few hours stop in HK, then onto Sydney where we landed about 9am. The outward journey wasn´t too bad and as soon as we got to the hotel, we were up and out, albeit having an early night. The following few days in Sydney we were fine. Perhaps it was the excitement of going on holiday, we felt we didn´t really have a problem with jetlag. Sandy in Spain [/quote']

fishtaco: Only one way to ward off Jet lag' date=' stay hydrated with plenty of water and [b']drink "No" Booze on the journey, even no wine with dinner[/b]. We did Perth to Las Vegas last June and then return,about the same distance as NY to Sydney without a single bit of jet lag and similar time zone changes. This was my first long haul with Zero Booze lots of water and first long haul without jet lag

kuldalai: 1. Take daylight flights as far as possible. 2. Put your watch on the time at your destination as soon as you take off. 3. Break your flight up into segments rather than flying straight through .

viz: Melbourne - Auckland' date=' (then overnight) then Auckland - San Francisco next day. 4 . Jet lag is worse flying from West to East. 5. Go easy on the grog . Drink plenty of water . [b']Keep well hydrated[/b] .

Appreciate the excellent insights from our Ohio neighbor in Centerville, just south of Dayton. YES, that setting the watch ahead to where you will be landing is something I usually do and it really does help. I have pulled together some of the great highlights from this wide and wonderful listing of tips, secrets, ideas and suggestions that are listed above. I will share these many suggestions on our roll call.

Agree on the hydration, but skipping the free wine and booze as we fly in business class??? That is a tough suggestion to accept. I will seek a "second opinion" on that medical prescription!! In going down to Australia, we will depart at 9:15 am from central Ohio in the morning, go to Dallas-Ft. Worth, have short lay-over, then head non-stop to Honolulu, arrive late afternoon local time, around midnight with our body clock. We will have two nights and one full day there to see Oahu and adjust the timing somewhat. Then, the long flight down to Brisbane (9 hour-50 minute flight, 4690 miles) and then to Cairns, arrive at 9:15 pm. All of those flights, fortunately, will be during daylight hours. That will help a little to break things up. Coming back, it will be Auckland to Brisbane and then to Honolulu during day hours. Four nights there on the Big Island for a little R&R and sights. Then a late afternoon departure on a "red-eye" flight through the night going from Honolulu to DFW and then home with a mid-day arrival.

Other reactions? Keep the good ideas and experiences flowing along.

THANKS for sharing! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 131,454 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

I agree you will be fine with breaking up the trip in Hawaii. I only start to struggle with over 10ish hours. I can do the Australia to Asia leg no problems, but then the continuing 12 or so hours to Europe is what gets me. The same with going to the US, its the 14 hours non stop that kills me :)

I find on business class I didn't get the bad jetlag as I was able to sleep so soundly in the lie flat bed. I had a welcome drink and that was enough for me, but I don't usually drink with dinner anyway.

All of the above plus I always travel with an over the counter herbal sleeping tablet called Restavite...no hangover from using it. I take it for a night or two in the new destination to help me adjust to the new time zone...other than that..I try not to fly more than 10 hours and cruise whenever possible..hate planes.

Sue

Appreciate the excellent insights from our Ohio neighbor in Centerville, just south of Dayton. YES, that setting the watch ahead to where you will be landing is something I usually do and it really does help. I have pulled together some of the great highlights from this wide and wonderful listing of tips, secrets, ideas and suggestions that are listed above. I will share these many suggestions on our roll call.

Agree on the hydration, but skipping the free wine and booze as we fly in business class??? That is a tough suggestion to accept. I will seek a "second opinion" on that medical prescription!! In going down to Australia, we will depart at 9:15 am from central Ohio in the morning, go to Dallas-Ft. Worth, have short lay-over, then head non-stop to Honolulu, arrive late afternoon local time, around midnight with our body clock. We will have two nights and one full day there to see Oahu and adjust the timing somewhat. Then, the long flight down to Brisbane (9 hour-50 minute flight, 4690 miles) and then to Cairns, arrive at 9:15 pm. All of those flights, fortunately, will be during daylight hours. That will help a little to break things up. Coming back, it will be Auckland to Brisbane and then to Honolulu during day hours. Four nights there on the Big Island for a little R&R and sights. Then a late afternoon departure on a "red-eye" flight through the night going from Honolulu to DFW and then home with a mid-day arrival.

Other reactions? Keep the good ideas and experiences flowing along.

THANKS for sharing! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 131,454 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Your schedule sounds good to me. We are going to do EWR to HNL to AKL (2 10 hour flights broken up by 2 days in Hawaii) or DCA to LAX overnight and most of day then LAX to PPT (Tahiti) 2 days then PPT to AKL. Can't decide which I want to do. Coming home might skip LAX overnight. Spinning it many ways and no way it is NOT a really long trip:p

Medically which is better for swollen legs and nasty attitude :o:o I do know for me that the ideal flight is to arrive late afternoon and then have dinner and go to bed. My hardest is 7 AM arrival in London with no hotel room to clean up in until after 2PM etc. We usually take a 2 hour nap if early morning arrival but no more.

Archived