No more overpacking

delily

What would you do if you had to check the carry on because they were out of bin space?

That has happened to me - that is why you bring one of those 'fold up' bags - I usually have one in my carryon - like a soft sided nylon bag that folds up and zippers - I haul it out and just put my 'valuables' and meds in there - and then the rest gets checked (I keep extra zip ties with me as well in case I need to use them...).... This bag is also good for 'shopping' in ports or in case you just need an 'extra' bag! :)

I never take a 20-22" rollaboard bag as a carry-on unless it is my only bag.

If I'm checking a bag and want to take a rolling tote (that will also fit over the handle of a larger bag), I am very fond of my Baggallini rolling tote:

http://www.ebags.com/product/baggallini/rolling-tote-bagg-17-crinkle-nylon/72971?productid=1129644&sourceid=ADWPRODUCT&couponid=79248966&gclid=CKigxafwzbcCFSZgMgodNFQAew&kwid=productads-plaid^32913390618-sku^1129644-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^23005838898

It's small enough to fit under the seat of most larger planes. (I really, really try not to fly small planes. Personal issue. :o)

(By the way, I've had my Baggallini bag for at least 4 years with extensive use and it has held up well. Not sure about the gripes on the ebags reviews, unless they've lessened the quality of the construction....)

If I am traveling lighter (say I'm on a trip with some train travel or moving around to several places via public transit), I like Patagonia's MLC bag that I've mentioned before. It's convertible to a backpack, so your hands are free for boarding trains, managing your other piece of luggage if necessary. It doesn't have wheels -- which means you can fit SO much more into it. I never realized how much space the wheels eat up in a smaller carry on.

http://www.ebags.com/product/patagonia/mlc/137745?productid=10209526&sourceid=ADWPRODUCT&couponid=79248966&gclid=CP3dzNzxzbcCFZA7MgodfUQAUg&kwid=productads-plaid^39659020578-sku^10209526-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^17248137378

I can also use either of these bags alone -- and frequently do -- for a shorter trip. The Baggallini is good for 1-2 nights; the MLC could be good for a week or more if you don't need dressy clothes.

I have tried packing less each time we travel. I will still come home without wearing several items. As my husband would remind me to pack lighter on the next trip. Our toiletries have to be packed since my husbands deodorant and (2) hair spray do not come in small cans. He must also take mouthwash which I do put in smaller bottles but still goes in the checked luggage.

I do handwash underwear and other small items.

This trip to Norway is very hard to select the correct clothing since the temperature will be between 45-65. I know we need to layer but if it is 65 and the sun is out then we would only need long sleeve and maybe light sweater. Dress up night is hard because I usually need 2 pairs of shoes for night and 2 sneakers for day.

I will try to reduce since I weigh my luggage and always make sure that it is not more than 45 lbs. I am always afraid that the scale at the airport might not be correct so I want a buffer.

So between us we have 2 checked in and 2 carryons.

I am out of control when we cruise locally and do not have to get on a plane.

I am looking forward to reading other suggestions for reducing my packing.

I never take a 20-22" rollaboard bag as a carry-on unless it is my only bag.

If I'm checking a bag and want to take a rolling tote (that will also fit over the handle of a larger bag), I am very fond of my Baggallini rolling tote:

http://www.ebags.com/product/baggallini/rolling-tote-bagg-17-crinkle-nylon/72971?productid=1129644&sourceid=ADWPRODUCT&couponid=79248966&gclid=CKigxafwzbcCFSZgMgodNFQAew&kwid=productads-plaid^32913390618-sku^1129644-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^23005838898

It's small enough to fit under the seat of most larger planes. (I really, really try not to fly small planes. Personal issue. :o)

(By the way, I've had my Baggallini bag for at least 4 years with extensive use and it has held up well. Not sure about the gripes on the ebags reviews, unless they've lessened the quality of the construction....)

If I am traveling lighter (say I'm on a trip with some train travel or moving around to several places via public transit), I like Patagonia's MLC bag that I've mentioned before. It's convertible to a backpack, so your hands are free for boarding trains, managing your other piece of luggage if necessary. It doesn't have wheels -- which means you can fit SO much more into it. I never realized how much space the wheels eat up in a smaller carry on.

http://www.ebags.com/product/patagonia/mlc/137745?productid=10209526&sourceid=ADWPRODUCT&couponid=79248966&gclid=CP3dzNzxzbcCFZA7MgodfUQAUg&kwid=productads-plaid^39659020578-sku^10209526-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^17248137378

I can also use either of these bags alone -- and frequently do -- for a shorter trip. The Baggallini is good for 1-2 nights; the MLC could be good for a week or more if you don't need dressy clothes.

That MLC is nice and I have thought about getting it before.

For the boys with the big jackets: are they needed for the Med? They might be better off doing layers that pack easier.

I'm not talking jackets for warmth. I'm talking about dress jackets for dinner/formal nights on the ship.

This trip to Norway is very hard to select the correct clothing since the temperature will be between 45-65. I know we need to layer but if it is 65 and the sun is out then we would only need long sleeve and maybe light sweater. Dress up night is hard because I usually need 2 pairs of shoes for night and 2 sneakers for day.

I will try to reduce since I weigh my luggage and always make sure that it is not more than 45 lbs. I am always afraid that the scale at the airport might not be correct so I want a buffer.

So between us we have 2 checked in and 2 carryons.

I am starting now to plan for my August Baltics cruise. I know it sounds nuts but I feel I have to start now in getting an idea on what I'm going to pack so I have the right clothes and also don't overpack. I've been using Polyvore (others use Excel and other programs) to put outfits together and see what I can pair with something else to wear again.

So far I've been able to recycle a pair of pants and a jacket twice by changing the undershirt. I've also been able to recycle 2 whole outfits between the early land portion of our trip and then for dinner on the ship.

I'm not talking jackets for warmth. I'm talking about dress jackets for dinner/formal nights on the ship.

My husband is bringing 1 suit to wear for dinner both formal nights. From what I remember Europe is a little more dressy than the Caribbean. That was 4 years ago though.

Can the boys use one of the jackets as a travel jacket? They don't necessarily have to wear them, but carry them on and lay them over the bags in the overhead.

This is what I use as my large carry on

248205_3_1?resmode=4&op_usm=1,1,1,&qlt=95,1&hei=280&wid=280&align=0,1

And then I am planning on this back pack instead of my normal large purse. Electronics, books, and medicine will go in it.

220274_2_1?resmode=4&op_usm=1,1,1,&qlt=95,1&hei=280&wid=280&align=0,1

Be VERY careful about using both the roller and that backpack!!!! The back pack is definitely larger than the size of "personal item" that most airlines have. Go to your airline(s)'s website and verify that the pack is no bigger than their limit. You may end up being forced to check that carryon...

Be VERY careful about using both the roller and that backpack!!!! The back pack is definitely larger than the size of "personal item" that most airlines have. Go to your airline(s)'s website and verify that the pack is no bigger than their limit. You may end up being forced to check that carryon...

AA and United are the only airlines I know of that actually defines the size of a personal bag and that is not to exceed 36 liner inches and fit underneath the seat. Actually that is the size of my personal bag and no other airline I have been on has challenged it. Most other airlines give a vague description that say only it must fit underneath the seat. United also says your personal bag can be a backpack.

Shak

Check your airlines..... Carry-on are defined and may have a weight limit. Remember reading last year a woman got a fee added cause her carry-on was too heavy. Personal items tend to be a computer bag, purse, etc.

My flights this year all have one bag free weight limit and a weight limit for my carryon. No weight limits given for personal items.

Bernadette

My checked bag is 24" 4 wheeled bag, my roll aboard is 19", my tote is the size of a large purse (it's never filled completely).

Most of the clothing, shoes and some of the toiletries go into the checked bag. My roll aboard contains a change of clothing and underwear, my 3-1-1 bag, a few travel sized items like my blow dryer (have never found a hotel or ship dryer I thought worked well) and a few other items I wouldn't want to be without. My tote carries my makeup, camera, jewelry, meds, travel documents, Kindle, Ipod, cell phone, etc... I've had my carry on gate checked a couple times with no warning, not because it was too large but that the bins were already loaded, so I learned to never pack expensive items in the carry on.

My roll aboard attaches to my checked bag easily, the tote hangs over the top. It's easy enough that I disembarked the ship managing my own luggage last time.

I've learned over the years to pack just enough, with only a few pieces of clothing and undergarments washed during the week, some things are worn only once, some a couple times. It works for us, I'm sure there are some that pack for a week in a backpack or a 21" roll aboard...I couldn't do that. Others pack 2 checked cases per person plus carry ons and they don't want to reduce in any way, I packed that way a couple times and was displeased with having to haul home a lot of unworn/unused items. Everyone's style and needs are different.

My husband has been doing the backpack/roll on carry on for a few years so I'm hoping it is still good. If not I'll gate check and learn my lesson.

It's not the "back pack" but the size of it. The one in your photo is larger than what they mean. The airlines are referring to the smaller daypacks (like kids use for school or people carry their laptops in) not actual backpacks when describing "small personal items."

If you are flying first or business you should be fine. If you are flying economy--especially if you are one of the last to board, you're going to have to check one of those.

Interesting that what creates stress for some decreases it for others. I find the simplicity of packing light to be very freeing. I do plan my outfits carefully before I pack and i only bring things I love and that fit and feel just right. Everything gets a trail run before it gets packed. All the work is done ahead of time. Once I am on vacation, I love not having to make decisions- everything goes together and fits right and even dressy outfits are already put together right down to the accessories. It 's like having a personal assistant lay out everything for mr - I just have to put it on and go.

LIKE!

Simplelife - I couldn't agree more! I try to explain this to everyone who will listen. I've even worn a dress twice and lived to tell about it!

M

I am starting now to plan for my August Baltics cruise. I know it sounds nuts but I feel I have to start now in getting an idea on what I'm going to pack so I have the right clothes and also don't overpack. I've been using Polyvore (others use Excel and other programs) to put outfits together and see what I can pair with something else to wear again.

So far I've been able to recycle a pair of pants and a jacket twice by changing the undershirt. I've also been able to recycle 2 whole outfits between the early land portion of our trip and then for dinner on the ship.

Not to scare you or anything but bring a good mix of warm & cool weather clothing. We did the Baltics in July a few years ago and they were having the worst heat wave & were breaking hundred year old temperature records. I think we all wore long pants 1 day & the rest were shorts (capris for me). I think that was the trip where I got scissors from the steward & cut a couple pairs of the boys pants to make shorts. Luckily we were on Disney and they have self-serve washers. Believe me I used those!

AA and United are the only airlines I know of that actually defines the size of a personal bag and that is not to exceed 36 liner inches and fit underneath the seat. Actually that is the size of my personal bag and no other airline I have been on has challenged it. Most other airlines give a vague description that say only it must fit underneath the seat. United also says your personal bag can be a backpack.

Shak

I speak with many business travelers in my second job (luggage store) and hear the stories of how carry ons will be fine on one leg of their trip, too large for another. Then, it depends on the airplane itself, just how large the overhead bins and underseat space will be. Then, it can also depend on the seat location, some have more space than others.

I no longer tell people that the carry on piece they want to buy will be guaranteed to fit the overhead, even with the airlines specifying measurements.

Most well traveled business pax will tell me what will work and what won't. This is the main reason I opted to go for a smaller than average carry on roll aboard. My husband doesn't have a roll aboard bag, just a shoulder bag about the size of my tote.

My husband has been doing the backpack/roll on carry on for a few years so I'm hoping it is still good. If not I'll gate check and learn my lesson.

Just in case, here's some of the "personal item" rules from airlines:

Delta:

1 purse, briefcase, camera bag or diaper bag

or 1 laptop computer (computers cannot be checked)

or 1 item of a similar or smaller size to those listed above

American:

Personal item - includes: purse, briefcase, laptop bag OR a similar item such as a tote that does not exceed 36 inches( length+width+height) and must fit under the seat in front of you. As an added bonus, travelers who are only bringing a personal item can board the plane before Group 2 boarding.

United:

In addition to one carry-on item, you may bring one personal item, such as a shoulder bag, backpack, laptop bag or other small item (no larger than 9 inches x 10 inches x 17 inches, or 36 linear inches).

SAS (for the Baltic cruises possibly)

In addition, passengers in all classes may bring a small handbag or a small laptop bag. This also applies to flight connections with SAS in connection with travel.

Hmm. I will definitely have to play around with bags and carryons when I am packing. I assumed all backpacks were created equal.

We sell backpacks all the way from tiny child sized to ones that are as large as a 22" roll aboard, some backpacks do have wheels. If you go to a camping/backpacking store, you will find them even larger than that.

I speak with many business travelers in my second job (luggage store) and hear the stories of how carry ons will be fine on one leg of their trip, too large for another. Then, it depends on the airplane itself, just how large the overhead bins and underseat space will be. Then, it can also depend on the seat location, some have more space than others.

I no longer tell people that the carry on piece they want to buy will be guaranteed to fit the overhead, even with the airlines specifying measurements.

Most well traveled business pax will tell me what will work and what won't. This is the main reason I opted to go for a smaller than average carry on roll aboard. My husband doesn't have a roll aboard bag, just a shoulder bag about the size of my tote.

I am not sure of your point but I will tell you what I bring on board. I know you work with luggage so you should a pretty good idea of what I have. I carry on a plane a 20 inch Eagle Creek Velocity roller and their matching flight bag that it is 17X11X8 (36 liner inches). So far no one has given either a second look. One time the seat in front of me had some electrical box so the space was really limited and my bag hung out a lot. No flight attendant gave it a second look either. If I am on a regional carrier often my 20 inch bag is gated checked.

While I am not a frequent flier I have for the past 20 years flown twice a year and I have seen my share of people abusing the system but I have not seen or had my carry on weighted or measured. I hear that is different when you fly in Europe though. I also see many back pack and not the small ones either. I believe the airlines are more worried about taking off on time and tolerate all but the most outrageous luggage abuses.

Speaking of weight those of you considering some of the wheel less carry on I read and participate in Flyer Take forums and this topic comes up from time to time. Flyer Talk forum is similar to this format but it is about air travel. On that board they say the rule of thumb is 10% of your body weight is what one can safely carry. Some of the bags mentioned previously can carry 30 pounds or more.

Shak

Speaking of weight those of you considering some of the wheel less carry on I read and participate in Flyer Take forums and this topic comes up from time to time. Flyer Talk forum is similar to this format but it is about air travel. On that board they say the rule of thumb is 10% of your body weight is what one can safely carry. Some of the bags mentioned previously can carry 30 pounds or more.

Shak

Are they talking about backpack bags? Because if so, campers and hikers must be in a world of hurt -- I think it's routinely advised that carrying 20-25% of your weight is fine.

It's possible to overload nearly any bag. It all depends on how one packs. If you stuff even a smaller carry on bag full of things like a laptop/tablet, cameras, chargers, shoes, books, jewelry, etc., it can get heavy in a hurry.

Are they talking about backpack bags? Because if so, campers and hikers must be in a world of hurt -- I think it's routinely advised that carrying 20-25% of your weight is fine.

It's possible to overload nearly any bag. It all depends on how one packs. If you stuff even a smaller carry on bag full of things like a laptop/tablet, cameras, chargers, shoes, books, jewelry, etc., it can get heavy in a hurry.

The 10% number comes up a lot with the casual backpack carrier. For example at the beginning of every school year there will be news stories about kids carrying backpacks which are more than 10% of their body weight. The issue is mainly 1) the backpacks they use aren't made for carrying 30lbs of books & 2) most of the kids wear the packs over 1 shoulder not using both straps. So there are always kids that end up with back problems. I'm thinking this is pretty much the same issue with the casual traveler. People who hike & camp I would think have proper backpacks.

And yes I agree the same thing happens to anyone carrying a laptop bag or heavy purse.

Archived