Planning a trip to AU and NZ from Hawaii would appreciate ANY insite ..

Hi, only have 3 short cruises under our belts - Mexico Caribbean and Alaska.

Now planning a long Vacation to AU and NZ - 2 month ....

thinking flying from USA to Hawaii and then cruise over to AU - any suggestion on the road to take and ships ??

then maybe cruise around AU some ???

and then NZ cruising to find out what part we like to revisit with renting a car and met some friends we have in both countries ???

So far have not found a RV renting deal that is realistic: 21 days in NZ for 6000 .- dollars .....

Any help with what we HAVE to see and do ???

Any cruise LOCAL cruise company we may not be aware of ???

I do have skype and would love to talk to anyone about this trip person to person :)

Also does AU and NZ have wifi in public places, libraries so we can use our skype to call our families ??

Thank you in advance Silvia

Hi, only have 3 short cruises under our belts - Mexico Caribbean and Alaska. Now planning a long Vacation to AU and NZ - 2 month .... thinking flying from USA to Hawaii and then cruise over to AU - any suggestion on the road to take and ships ?? then maybe cruise around AU some ??? and then NZ cruising to find out what part we like to revisit with renting a car and met some friends we have in both countries ??? So far have not found a RV renting deal that is realistic: 21 days in NZ for 6000 .- dollars ..... Any help with what we HAVE to see and do ??? Any cruise LOCAL cruise company we may not be aware of ??? I do have skype and would love to talk to anyone about this trip person to person :)

Also does AU and NZ have wifi in public places, libraries so we can use our skype to call our families ?? Thank you in advance Silvia

Welcome to these Cruise Critic boards. Lots of options for doing Australia and NZ. Happy to Skype on these options. Let me know your e-mail and I will follow up to you to work out the details.

We are looking forward to our first “down under” visit, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Celebrity Solstice sailing, departing Sydney, going from Australia to Auckland/NZ doing 14 days on this ship we loved in the Med in June 2011. See more on the Solstice from the live/blog connected below. Plus, for this trip, we are doing some pre-cruise options for Cairns/Port Douglas, the Rainforest and Great Barrier Reef, then Kangaroo Island near Adelaide before departing from Sidney’s scenic harbor. And, doing the mid-cruise ship over-night trip to and in Queenstown and then stopping in Hawaii on the way home to break up that long, long flight back. We have a nice and super active roll call going at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1614754

Welcome to any who want to join us for this trip and/or travel along via the web as we get prepared for that "adventure". Lots of info and pictures on this roll call.

Not sure renting an RV is the most time-efficient method for Australia. Your travel distances there are pretty VAST!!

Also, tell us more on your personal interests, travel style, budget flexibility, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 131,582 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

So far have not found a RV renting deal that is realistic: 21 days in NZ for 6000 .- dollars .....

NO NO NO NO!!! Where are you getting that info from ?? It's more like $40 NZ per day for a "small " car -- perhaps renting a Ferrarri may cost $6000 :)

https://www.thrifty.co.nz/index.cfm/1,85,0,0,html/Our-Fleet

Barry

I live in NZ, but have only been here a year.

There is free wifi in the public library as well as McDonalds, but most small towns will not have a McDonalds. Everyone is friendly, however, and if you ask around town where is the free wifi, you are sure to find something:)

Hi. I live in new Zealand. What time of year are you thinking of doing this? Your cRusing options around new Zealand and Australia will depend on when you would like to do it. I strongly recommend January February time for better weather in new Zealand. Australia will have good weather what ever time you visit usually. I enjoy celebrity and royal Caribbean cruise lines and both come to new Zealand. Just go into their websites and search. One cruise lines do too but not regularly.

I too think you cold get a better rice than that on a rv.

Any questions, I'd be happy to help if I can. :)

Wow I'm wrong. Just did a search on rv hire and your right! I had no idea it was so expensive!

We are very flexible with time and where to go. Where thinking Jan - March

And yes RV- ing is very expensive in NZ :) :rolleyes:

bazzaw--RV means Camper -Caravan I think in your neck of the woods ...;)

TLCOhio- love to talk to you on skype : my handle is rudysilvia

just let me know in the message cruise critics so I do not block you like all the "Generals " that want to be my friends :D

Thanks for all the help so far ....

Forgot to mention we like Balcony because we like to sleep with the window open if possible :) if anyone knows a trick paying inside and getting bumped up ???? I am listening ......;)

And we are not city folks - rather love to seem ore of the country. Been living full time in our RV for 10 years so we can adapt :)

showing off my house on wheels .......

587664522_NewTruckandrig(Small)(Mobile).jpg.f02be75e4fe7602a64254a6e431eabb6.jpg

595430534_wayhome001.jpg.4c9c2dfd0e7608912bc3f4df3ee43f50.jpg

bazzaw--RV means Camper -Caravan I think in your neck of the woods ...;)

Yes -- sorry -- missed the bit about renting an RV -- thought you were talking about a car.

WE are intending to do a 2 week car/motel trip around NZ shortly. Here is an article comparing costs of car and motel tour with motorhome tour http://www.smh.com.au/travel/traveller-tips/your-questions-20090904-fb3g.html

Barry

TLCOhio- love to talk to you on skype : my handle is rudysilvia. just let me know in the message cruise critics so I do not block you like all the "Generals " that want to be my friends :D Thanks for all the help so far ....

Just sent a request. Let me know on Skype when things work for you.

Celebrity Solstice Visual Highlights? From our June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in France, Italy, Kotor and Dubrovnik, I have pull together a number of wonderful visuals of the Solstice, its features, food, entertainment, options, etc. We are now at 6,236 views for this shorter version of my larger full review of that cruise and all of the port pictures/details. Check these postings and added info at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1803477

Sounds like you are looking at a fantastic trip. We have "done" Australia using a Qantas air pass that let us see Sydney, Alice Springs and Ayer's Rock, Adelaide (my favorite city by far), Kangaroo Island, Brisbane, and visit a friend in Toowoomba. One part of this month in Australia was a 4 day cruise on the Great Barrier Reef on the Coral Princess II (coralprincesscruise.co.au). The most wonderful small ship cruise ever. That was 10 years ago and I vowed to get back. We are doing a 9 day cruise from Wellington to Queenstown Feb. 6 -14. on the Oceanic Discoverer a lux. expedition ship operated by the same company. Take a look at what they offer --I would do them all! We plan to do a week before (North Island)and week after (South Island) in a self-drive. Probably not long enough but still great. We are staying hotels/motels but in my research I have seen lots of apartments (self catering) which might work for you with a rental car to do day trips out of several "home bases".

One tip is to do your trip mostly in Feb. January is locals vacation time and the Aussies come over and grab all the campervans and clog up the roads so I've read in more than one posting! I hear school starts up and the shoulder season begins Feb. 1. Maybe the campervan would be cheaper then.

Go to the trip advisor site New Zealand forum and find a posting called 19-day bus tour. Marvelous description of what the author saw and did on a pretty upscale bus tour. He is witty and has a way with words and though I don't want a bus tour I learned so much about what to see from his blog.

I also have friends who went on a Grand Circle Tour of Australia and New Zealand in April 2013 and they had a wonderful time. Lots of brochures and pictures of places they went. Maybe a combo of some trip or cruise and then your own thing.

Have a great time planning. That is some of the best times of any trip.:D

thinking flying from USA to Hawaii and then cruise over to AU - any suggestion on the road to take and ships ??

If you want to cruise from Hawaii to Australia, then the best time would be from September, as every year the Rhapsody of the Seas, Radiance of the Seas, Celebrity Solstice (and Celebrity Century from 2014), Volendam and the Oosterdam, all relocate from the USA to Australia for our summer and the start our summer cruise ship session.

Then if you wanted you could explore Australia for a couple of weeks ether by land / cruise then catch a cruise ship (they are plenty that come this way!!) and cruise around New Zealand.

Also does AU and NZ have wifi in public places, libraries so we can use our skype to call our families ??

Yes, there is both free and paid wifi around New Zealand, many of the McDonalds shops around NZ have free wifi, and there are cafés and public library that have both free & paid wifi.

Keep in mind that the internet in NZ will not be like your use to at home!!

Also you may find that skype could be blocked at some of the hotspots.

And if you do use paid wifi, you may find it costly!

Hope this helps :)

Schools in new Zealand go back end January beginning of February from their big Summer holiday. Actually I agree February would be a od time to visit new Zealand, good weather and most people are back at work from their summer holidays.

wow what great information thanks to all :) !!! have a lot to read now ....

Keep reading and let us know any added question. Lots of options and timing potentials. There's no one "perfect" way to do things. Many variable and ways to get this trip done and put together to fit your schedule and needs.

Below are a few in Sydney and other pictures to help build your excitement for this "adventure"!! Our Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014 cruise will have an overnight in Sydney. Do these visuals look great?

Celebrity Solstice Visual Highlights? From our June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in France, Italy, Kotor and Dubrovnik, I have pull together a number of wonderful visuals of the Solstice, its features, food, entertainment, options, etc. We are now at 6,261 views for this shorter version of my larger full review of that cruise and all of the port pictures/details. Check these postings and added info at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1803477

Here is a view of the Fjordland National Park and its dramatic fjord canyons that we will sail through on Sunday, Jan. 26. This is a picture from the National Geographic website. This is New Zealand's largest national park. It was formed millennia ago by massive glacial flows that carved deep fiords into the coast of New Zealand's South Island. At the heart of Fiordland National Park lies Milford Sound. Lined by cliffs that soar nearly a mile above its surface, Milford Sound cuts into the heart of the Southern Alps. Rainforest clings to the cliffs and waterfalls plummet into the void.:

NatGeoFjordlandNatPark.jpg

Here is a National Geographic website view from atop of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. A monumental engineering feat, it took eight years to build and was completed in 1932. The roadway is supported by the arch, is 1,650-feet long, 160 feet wide and contains two sets of railway tracks, eight road lanes, a bikeway, and a footpath on both sides. Their website for the climb that I want to do is: http://www.bridgeclimb.com. The highest point of the arch is 440 feet. The pylons are 292 feet high. The Bridge was the highest point in Sydney Australia until 1967. It took 39,000 tons of steel to build this Sydney icon.:

NatGeoSydneyBridgeHarbour.jpg

Here is a night view of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Completed in 1932 and supported by the arch, it is 1,650-feet long, 160 feet wide and contains two sets of railway tracks, eight road lanes, a bikeway, and a footpath on both sides. The highest point of the arch is 440 feet. The pylons are 292 feet high. The Bridge was the highest point in Sydney Australia until 1967. It took 39,000 tons of steel to build this Sydney icon.:

SydneyBridgeAtNight.jpg

Terry, I see you will be on your cruise Jan 26. This is Australia Day. This is our equivalent of your independence day i guess. I imagine you will have a lot of Aussies on your cruise who will celebrate the day.

On our Radiance OTS cruise to NZ earlier this year we were in Dunedin for that day. The ship baked a huge cake in the shape of Australia which we all got to share. Many of us dressed up in 'Aussie gear' and the ship was decorated with Australian flags etc.

Perhaps something similar will happen on your cruise :)

Terry, I see you will be on your cruise Jan 26. This is Australia Day. This is our equivalent of your independence day i guess. I imagine you will have a lot of Aussies on your cruise who will celebrate the day.

On our Radiance OTS cruise to NZ earlier this year we were in Dunedin for that day. The ship baked a huge cake in the shape of Australia which we all got to share. Many of us dressed up in 'Aussie gear' and the ship was decorated with Australian flags etc.

Perhaps something similar will happen on your cruise :)

Thanks for that info : Looks like I will be going on the same cruise with Terry will know in a couple of days. What fun this will be with the Aussies ....

Working on a trip : LA to Tahiti- 6-8 days then Sydney - not sure what til Jan 20th. then Cruise with Celebrity 2 Weeks - to Auckland. Then either Car or Caravan til March 5th. Cruise home to the USA on Cunard Queen Victoria for 28 day From Sydney back to some ports in NZ American Samoa Hawaii San Fransisco ....... I am getting soooo exited or as my friends in NZ say : chuffed ....

Terry, I see you will be on your cruise Jan 26. This is Australia Day. This is our equivalent of your independence day i guess. I imagine you will have a lot of Aussies on your cruise who will celebrate the day. On our Radiance OTS cruise to NZ earlier this year we were in Dunedin for that day. The ship baked a huge cake in the shape of Australia which we all got to share. Many of us dressed up in 'Aussie gear' and the ship was decorated with Australian flags etc. Perhaps something similar will happen on your cruise.

silviarudy: Looks like I will be going on the same cruise with Terry will know in a couple of days. What fun this will be with the Aussies ....

Working on a trip : LA to Tahiti- 6-8 days then Sydney - not sure what til Jan 20th. then Cruise with Celebrity 2 Weeks - to Auckland. Then either Car or Caravan til March 5th. Cruise home to the USA on Cunard Queen Victoria for 28 day From Sydney back to some ports in NZ American Samoa Hawaii San Fransisco ....... I am getting soooo exited or as my friends in NZ say : chuffed ....

Super appreciate the above great tip from mr walker on the potential "party time" for those on our sailing for Jan. 26. As the official National Day of Australia' date=' it celebrates annually the arrival of the First Fleet at Sydney Cove, New South Wales in 1788 and the proclamation at that time of British sovereignty over the eastern seaboard of Australia (then known as New Holland). It was a fleet of eleven ships sent to establish a penal colony in the area of lands explored and claimed by Lieutenant James Cook in 1770. The settlement was seen as necessary [b']because of the loss of the Thirteen Colonies in North America[/b]. It is an official public holiday in every state and territory of Australia, becoming the biggest annual civic event, per my quick checking. All this because George Washington, Jefferson, etc., kicked King George out of our area in North America. Fun, interesting history. Will share on our roll call.

Glad that Silvia is moving ahead on the planning to join our fun cruise. I have been in touch with and have provide a little help to her, including connecting with our TA. They will have lots of time "down under, plus Tahiti, Samoa, etc. Hopefully as things get finalized, she will sign on and say high on our active roll call for our cruise.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 131,742 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

As the official National Day of Australia, it celebrates annually the arrival of the First Fleet at Sydney Cove, New South Wales in 1788 and the proclamation at that time of British sovereignty over the eastern seaboard of Australia (then known as New Holland). It was a fleet of eleven ships sent to establish a penal colony in the area of lands explored and claimed by Lieutenant James Cook in 1770. The settlement was seen as necessary because of the loss of the Thirteen Colonies in North America. It is an official public holiday in every state and territory of Australia, becoming the biggest annual civic event, per my quick checking. All this because George Washington, Jefferson, etc., kicked King George out of our area in North America. Fun, interesting history. Will share on our roll call.

Wow Terry! You're amazing with the depth of your research, even teaching this Aussie a lot more about Australia Day that I never ever knew - thank you.

I'm really proud that Austraia will be welcoming you to our shores in the near future.

Phil

As the official National Day of Australia, it celebrates annually the arrival of the First Fleet at Sydney Cove, New South Wales in 1788 and the proclamation at that time of British sovereignty over the eastern seaboard of Australia (then known as New Holland). It was a fleet of eleven ships sent to establish a penal colony in the area of lands explored and claimed by Lieutenant James Cook in 1770. The settlement was seen as necessary because of the loss of the Thirteen Colonies in North America. It is an official public holiday in every state and territory of Australia, becoming the biggest annual civic event, per my quick checking. All this because George Washington, Jefferson, etc., kicked King George out of our area in North America. Fun, interesting history. Will share on our roll call.

Wow Terry! You're amazing with the depth of your research, even teaching this Aussie a lot more about Australia Day that I never ever knew - thank you.

I'm really proud that Austraia will be welcoming you to our shores in the near future.

Phil

Yes, Terry is doing his research.

As a side note and slightly off topic, how is the not being part of the sovereignty of England working out, I would like to see that happen here too.:D

Yes, Terry is doing his research.

As a side note and slightly off topic, how is the not being part of the sovereignty of England working out, I would like to see that happen here too.:D

When we visited the Tower of London the Beefeater running our tour asked if there were any Americans or Australians in the group (there were both). He then said 'If you Americans had paid your taxes this would be part of your heritage and to all Australians, Welcome home.' Gave both nationalities a bit of a chuckle.

Hi, only have 3 short cruises under our belts - Mexico Caribbean and Alaska.

then maybe cruise around AU some ???

and then NZ cruising to find out what part we like to revisit with renting a car and met some friends we have in both countries ???

Any help with what we HAVE to see and do ???

Any cruise LOCAL cruise company we may not be aware of ???

I do have skype and would love to talk to anyone about this trip person to person :)

Thank you in advance Silvia

We have hired a motorhome (that's what there called in NZ) and we paid half the price you were quoted I cant mention company names here but just google motorhome hire NZ iam sure you will do better than $6000

Good luck

when we visited the tower of london the beefeater running our tour asked if there were any americans or australians in the group (there were both). He then said 'if you americans had paid your taxes this would be part of your heritage and to all australians, welcome home.' gave both nationalities a bit of a chuckle.

lol. :d

Archived