Gettinng antsy... waiting for GUAR to turn into a cabin #

shrimp56

I KNOW it will probably be another week for the 15 June Veendam NE/Canada, but that doesn't keep me from wishing the upgrade fairy would get on with it.

My question is this. I'm assuming the algorithm is complex taking into account Mariner status (hugging my 1 star tightly), when you booked (literally on the final pay day) and who you booked with. (my travel agent). Any idea which of these counts for or against me? And is there any pattern to what time of day the assignments come through?

Please sweet upgrade fairy.... I promise I am not checking more than twice a day, well maybe 3. :)

The only thing we know about upgrades, upsells and assigning GTYs is that it is done to fill the ship. So, there is very little way to predict how it will be done, because each sailing sells differently, thus there are different needs to fill each sailing.

Mariner status appears to have nothing to do with what you get assigned, but again, as we don't really know how it is done, we can't say for sure. But there are tons of 4 star Mariners (and we are almost 4 star) here on the board that have never gotten a single upgrade or upsell offer, including us.

Also, there is no way to tell if who you booked with, or when you booked has anything to do with it. Again, the sole purpose is to fill the ship.

By the way, as you are 15 days away, you are in the middle of the peak assigning time.

Most important is that you've booked a guarantee rather than a specific cabin. Those who choose a cabin and "will accept an upgrade" are always behind the guarantees. We've gotten upgrades on all 9 of our guarantees, and just one upsell offer when we've chosen a cabin. All but two of our guarantee assignments came at 11 to 8 days out, so you most likely will know within another week.

One thing working against you is the late booking. A former HAL employee and CC member DutchByAssociation has said that the first two factors considered (within guarantees) are how early you booked and how much you paid (i.e., full list or sale price). Mariner status plays only a small part at best.

Good luck, though! :)

Thanks so much everyone for some very useful information. And for not jumping down my antsy throat.

We did book during a flash sale so I won't get my hopes up too much. We made sure to book our GUAR at a level we could be happy with, BB rather than BC, and will be happy to be on the ship and sailing:)

We booked late....25 days before sailing....and using a flash sale...

We received two upgrade (upsell) offers a week later and accepted one....

Then received another offer 5 days after that.....we didn't accept the last offer....

I think it has more to do with how many cabins are still available....

It seems that newbies are way more likely to get nice upgrades then the upper star folks. That said, I was on one cruise and we had newbies, 4 stars, some that paid high, some that booked late and cheap. All of us go identical upgrades.

I've found in my experience that they seem to assign around 11:30 am, around 3:30 pm and just before 7 pm. These are mountain times. YMMV.

It seems that newbies are way more likely to get nice upgrades then the upper star folks. That said, I was on one cruise and we had newbies, 4 stars, some that paid high, some that booked late and cheap. All of us go identical upgrades.

I've found in my experience that they seem to assign around 11:30 am, around 3:30 pm and just before 7 pm. These are mountain times. YMMV.

I agree that newbies get better deals. Right now I'm looking at a cruise in late August. My sister who will only cruise when I coerce her into cruising is a 2 star (I get her emails because I do the booking for all of us) can go in a balcony for $3870 for 2 and I, a 3 star, can get the same balcony for $6112. I can only get her price if she travels too. Annoying to say the least.

CJ

:confused: Why are you sure there will be an upgrade fairy?

It isn't promised. :D

Good luck.

Thanks for the wishes:)

I know I'm not guaranteed more than I booked, but a girl can dream a bit and get antsy anyway ;)

And is there any pattern to what time of day the assignments come through?

I still had the HAL emails with our upgrade (upsell) offers....the offers are pdf. files attached to their email....

The first one was sent at 7:52am (pacific time) and the second was sent at 8:13 am....

I would check first thing.....before coffee....:)

FYI......there are many cruisers who prefer inside cabins....saving money for other fun things....some have said they actually sleep better.....

and....I think there is an outside view on one of the TV channels....

And is there any pattern to what time of day the assignments come through?
Most of our assignments have happened between 7:00p to 8:00p Eastern ... close of business day in Seattle.

and....I think there is an outside view on one of the TV channels....
Two - bow and stern cameras.

We have booked several guarantee cabins over the years and have one booked for the Maasdam June 15th (BC). We have always received an upgrade, mostly two or three categories, which is really just a location upgrade vs. a cabin category upgrade. I agree that you should always book a guarantee that you can live with but the bottom line is that we will be enjoying another DAM ship and there is nothing in the world like cruising with HAL. We are three stars and have a LONG way to get to the next level but its nice to get a small discount on specialty dining and whatever else it gets us. We are counting the days till our first trip to Montreal and beyond!!!!

We're sailing on the 15th, as well. I've been checking my reservation at least twice a day looking for a cabin assignment, as well :)

We booked a cabin category we were satisfied with for a price we liked. A week or 2 later there was a sale plus an on board credit incentive offered for the same cabin/cruise. I called and requested (and was given) an nice upgrade. The rep I spoke with told me he could either assign us a cabin then or leave us as a guarantee at our new cabin category. He said the guarantee made it more likely we would be upgraded again, depending on availability - we took the guarantee :) He also told me to expect a cabin assignment around 10 days from sailing.

I still had the HAL emails with our upgrade (upsell) offers....the offers are pdf. files attached to their email....

The first one was sent at 7:52am (pacific time) and the second was sent at 8:13 am....

I would check first thing.....before coffee....:)

Those are upsell offers not assignments correct?

Just curious, but how do you all know what someone else paid for their cruise. Is this something you go around asking people? Because I would politely tell you it was really of your business and I would not be interested in hearing about how much you paid for yours.

Just curious, but how do you all know what someone else paid for their cruise. Is this something you go around asking people? Because I would politely tell you it was really of your business and I would not be interested in hearing about how much you paid for yours.

Really, I don't know why anyone would ask that:confused:. Some people love to blab every detail to anyone that will listen. It would be great if you would give some credit to people.

Just wanted to wish all 3 of you who have sailings on June 15th on 3 different ships good luck with your guarantees.

Thanks Krazy:) It distracts from the issue of packing LOL As I said we're happy to be going. As for what ppl paid, it doesn't matter to us. We pay what we are willing to and enjoy the ride:)

Most important is that you've booked a guarantee rather than a specific cabin. Those who choose a cabin and "will accept an upgrade" are always behind the guarantees. We've gotten upgrades on all 9 of our guarantees, and just one upsell offer when we've chosen a cabin. All but two of our guarantee assignments came at 11 to 8 days out, so you most likely will know within another week.

One thing working against you is the late booking. A former HAL employee and CC member DutchByAssociation has said that the first two factors considered (within guarantees) are how early you booked and how much you paid (i.e., full list or sale price). Mariner status plays only a small part at best.

Good luck, though! :)

Out of 15 HAL cruises, we've only had an offer for an up-sell once, which we took since we normally travel with another couple..We were offered both a Lanai & a Verandah cabin..Took the Lanai as we enjoy being out on deck with other Psgrs..Have only cruised three time by ourselves..Normally we would book a specific cabin & have our booking noted: "Do not upgrade"...

I've often thought about trying a guarantee but have been afraid that we would end up in an obstructed view cabin..:eek:

John, I've been wondering what happened to "Dutch by Association".. When did he leave HAL & does anyone know what he is now doing? He was always a wealth of info. & an excellent Ambassador from HAL..I enjoyed reading his posts..

Cheers..:)Betty

We recently booked a Veranda guarantee on the Zuiderdam at the end of July. I know it will be a while before we have a cabin assignment, but I still look every couple days. We wanted a balcony, but were not picky since we booked fairly late so we'll take what we get. An upgrade would be nice, but at least we'll be on the DAM ship with our DAM balcony!

Good luck.

Archived