Australian SLANG words for our Overseas visitors!

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. Not one to cruise, at least not yet, but I do need some help with some Aussie slang. One of the characters I'm writing in my book speaks in a broken Canadian/Aussie language. I'm wondering if there is a colorful word for "murder" or "suspicious circumstances that lead to murder", the same way we might say "there's been foul play". Any help is greatly appreciated and I apoligize if I'm hijacking the thread :o

Hi, what about 'it all looks a bit sus" meaning it all looks a bit suspicious.

I am also thinking a friend on the force would more often here be called the boys in blue, cops, coppers or the fuzz.

I agree with dodgy. The cops reckon it is a bit dodgy.

Or a 'blue heeler' or something quite worse, fair dinkum cobbers.

Yes, 'Dodgy' for 'foul play.'

Edited by NSWP

Bugger me, he's been bumped off.:cool:

'Bumped Orf?' Whoodya reckon..Brisbane41? Strewth.

Oo roo, Smoko time, a brew on, perhaps a dogs eye and 'orse as well. 2SM thanks matey. (2 sugars & milk.)

Edited by NSWP

Hi all. "getting the rough end of the pineapple" has a certain poetry to it, don't you think? Here's the sentences I'm working on:

"They fished the body out yesterday morning. A friend of mine on the force said there may have been foul play."

This is in direct relation to a body that washes up on the beach and seems to be a death by drowning. FYI: the character speaking is meant to be funny, so weird and wacky ways of saying this are more than welcome.

A cop mate of mine said it looks pretty dodgy. With the body being in the ocean, may even mention - they made him shark bait.

This is what I would expect in Perth. We wouldn't mention pineapples. A lot of Oz speak is different for each state. Good luck on the story.

A cop mate of mine said it looks pretty dodgy. With the body being in the ocean, may even mention - they made him shark bait.

This is what I would expect in Perth. We wouldn't mention pineapples. A lot of Oz speak is different for each state. Good luck on the story.

Or should we spruik good luck on the 'John Dory?

They fished the body out yesterday morning. A friend of mine on the force said there may have been foul play

Now I'm not sure when your story is set or just how Ocker you want to go but:

They fished the body out [The found a floater] yesterday [yesty] morning. A friend of mine [a cobber of mine] on the force [ who's a johnny (or Johnny Hop)] said there may have been foul play [said somethin' was crook]

Bulldust - not the truth

Barbie - bar-b-que

Nag - horse

Half-cut - drunk

Fair dinkum - true and honest

Fall off the back of a truck - obtain by illegal means

Tinny - can of beer

Plonk - cheap wine

No-hoper - someone with little intellect

Digger - soldiers of WWI 7 WWII

Chippy - carpenter

Sparky - electrician

Bulldust - not the truth

Barbie - bar-b-que

Nag - horse

Half-cut - drunk

Fair dinkum - true and honest

Fall off the back of a truck - obtain by illegal means

Tinny - can of beer

Plonk - cheap wine

No-hoper - someone with little intellect

Digger - soldiers of WWI 7 WWII

Chippy - carpenter

Sparky - electrician

You forgot Bogan & even Cashed Up Bogan - you can explain! Lol

Stubbie - small bottle of beer

Ah.....................I still have one of those - un opened - in the box - probably only fit for cleaning drains now - had it a very very long time :eek:

Depending on just how old and how it's been stored it might be fine.

It is not exactly slang, but the way we say things can also cause confusion. Particularly when we run words together and do not clear.y enunciate.

When I was a student in the US one of the other Aussies was travelling around and recounted an experience in Kentucky. A waitress in a diner asked him how he wanted j

His coffee

"just a bit of milk, please."

Waitress scratches her B52 hairdo and repli

" I have heard of sour cream, but done never heard of bitter milk."

1970's!!!!! I wouldn't let that in the house!!:eek:

My sister gave me one of those Darwin Stubbies for my 40th birthday. Like an idiot I forgot about it, 10 year later I opened it, awful, bad, ruined, all of the above, down the sink it went. So the 70's one would be a sink job. What a waste of amber nectar, but some blokes I know would slurp that Darwin Stubby through an Afghan's underpants, LOL.

Edited by NSWP