Bonine Questions

denby

The more I fly and cruise the more I seem to get a nauseous feeling. We have an Alaska cruise booked shortly with a five hour flight. I have bought Bonine and hope it helps but I have a few questions.

When is the best time to take it?

Do you take 1 or 2?

Can you still have a glass of wine?

Has anyone had success using it to prevent air sickness?

The more I fly and cruise the more I seem to get a nauseous feeling. We have an Alaska cruise booked shortly with a five hour flight. I have bought Bonine and hope it helps but I have a few questions.

Do you take 1 or 2?

I take Bonine for our entire cruise each time. I take one tablet at night before I go to bed. This way on the off chance it does make me drowse I'm already asleep! This was actually a great tip I saw here on CC. I usually start taking it the day before the cruise and then take it one day after. Sometimes if the seas are really bad I'll take an additional tablet in the morning or during the day. However, I have never gotten sea sick even when others have so it does work, at least for me. I have a friend who takes it when flying and she loves it.

I drink while I take it although I'm pretty sure it says you shouldn't. Now whether that is a good or bad I'll let you be the judge, although I've never noticed anything different because of it.

I love Bonine!! I couldn't cruise without it. I take the recommended dosage 24 hours in advance so it's in my system by the time I board, and I keep on taking it for at least three days into the cruise until I get my sea legs. I take it again if the seas show any sign of getting choppy. I drink as I usually do and haven't noticed any ill effects. BTW, this is a pretty common ailment and if you use the search function you'll come up with lots of posts which might be helpful to you. Good luck!

My husband could get sick just looking at the waves so was worried before our first cruise. His doctor advised Bonine 2 days prior to sailing just before bed as others on CC have mentioned. It works but he said he always felt hung over. (He can not use the patches due to adverse side effects.)

A patient of mine said she only used Crystalized Ginger. (We can get it in the bulk produce section of local grocery). It comes in a small chunk and he cuts it into small pieces, places in a baggie and takes it with him. When he is feeling a bit nauseated he pops a piece in his mouth and sucks on it like a candy. Within minutes he is back to 100%.

This worked so well, he is now able to go deep sea fishing without problems. Not sure if it will work for everyone, but certainly works well for him. He shared some on a rough ride we had from the ship to Playa Del Carmen in Caribbean and worked for everyone he shared it with.

Another fan of Bonine! A little tip- Bonine has the same active ingredient as the 24 hour non-drowsy Dramamine (meclizine 25 mg.) so if you can't find Bonine it's a good alternative.

Like many others I take it every evening before bed when I am traveling and there are long car/boat/train trips involved. I eat and drink (wine too) as I normally do :)

normal dose

The initial dose of 25 to 50 mg of Bonine should be taken one hour prior to embarkation for protection against motion sickness. Thereafter, the dose may be repeated every 24 hours for the duration of the journey.

My normal rec is 1 tab (25mg)the night before embarkation. And continue for the length of cruise. If bad seas are expected you can take up to three times per day but expect drowsiness to increase in proportion. (alcohol or other antihistamines will increase drowsiness)

As stated above crystal ginger (or ginger capsules) will help nausea if it occurs...

If you are on medications ask you doctor or pharmacist if this is the right product for you.

Here's a tip: Bonine, which is meclizine, is a brand name, and as such is more expensive than generic meclizine. Ask your pharmacist for meclizine. In the US it's sold "behind the counter."

Bon voyage

Betsy

Yes, definitely find the generic MECLIZINE. So much cheaper. I do as all the others: take one the night before I sail & then take one every night of the cruise even if the seas are calm. I'm positive it works for me because I get motion sick very easily but 2 cruises with extremely rough seas & I felt perfectly fine. 2 others prior, with rough seas ... not so good!

I take Bonine for our entire cruise each time. I take one tablet at night before I go to bed. This way on the off chance it does make me drowse I'm already asleep! This was actually a great tip I saw here on CC. I usually start taking it the day before the cruise and then take it one day after. Sometimes if the seas are really bad I'll take an additional tablet in the morning or during the day. However, I have never gotten sea sick even when others have so it does work, at least for me. I have a friend who takes it when flying and she loves it.

I drink while I take it although I'm pretty sure it says you shouldn't. Now whether that is a good or bad I'll let you be the judge, although I've never noticed anything different because of it.

This is EXACTLY how I take Bonine as well. It is a lifesaver for seasickness - I can even ride in little tenders and whale watching boats with ease. Take it the night before the cruise and every night thereafter. If you're looking for the best value - got to Costco (If you have one) because a cruise-sized box is just $4.00. The best $4.00 you'll spend all cruise! it's behind the pharmacy counter.

I'll be 15 weeks pregnant on our cruise to Bermuda next week, so Bonine is a no-no. I'm a tad nervous, but will keep my fingers crossed for smooth seas.

This is EXACTLY how I take Bonine as well. It is a lifesaver for seasickness - I can even ride in little tenders and whale watching boats with ease. Take it the night before the cruise and every night thereafter. If you're looking for the best value - got to Costco (If you have one) because a cruise-sized box is just $4.00. The best $4.00 you'll spend all cruise! it's behind the pharmacy counter.

I'll be 15 weeks pregnant on our cruise to Bermuda next week' date=' so Bonine is a no-no. I'm a tad nervous, but will keep my fingers crossed for smooth seas.[/quote']

You can try the Seabands which are applied to the wrists and acts as accupressure points for nausea. They are safe as there is no medication involved. In fact they can also be used for nausea for any reason.

You can try the Seabands which are applied to the wrists and acts as accupressure points for nausea. They are safe as there is no medication involved. In fact they can also be used for nausea for any reason.

I've got my Seabands and ginger as well - thank you! I also have a prescription for my morning-noon-and-night sickness with Zofran. Bonine was my security blanket for every cruise, so I hope that the other remedies work as well:) Thank you!

Here's a tip: Bonine, which is meclizine, is a brand name, and as such is more expensive than generic meclizine. Ask your pharmacist for meclizine. In the US it's sold "behind the counter."

Bon voyage

Betsy

Not sure what's going on where you live, but this is not a "behind the counter" drug. It's a non-prescription, OTC drug, readily available on the open shelves in CVS, etc. But you are correct that folks should look for meclizine, not the more expensive brand name Bonine. It's the same stuff, why pay more?

OP: I would caution you to take one before you travel, perhaps in the early evening while you still have a few hours before going to bed, to see how it affects you since you've never taken it before. Some folks report becoming quite drowsy just taking 25mg. I don't get seasick, so I've never had to take it for that, but I recently had to take meclizine for vertigo, and 25mg knocked me out for about 11 hours and when I woke, I felt as though I'd been run over by a truck.

I will also suggest that the best medical advice comes from your doctor, and not Cruise Critic, as expert as we all are. :)

Yes, definitely find the generic MECLIZINE. So much cheaper. I do as all the others: take one the night before I sail & then take one every night of the cruise even if the seas are calm. I'm positive it works for me because I get motion sick very easily but 2 cruises with extremely rough seas & I felt perfectly fine. 2 others prior, with rough seas ... not so good!

Yeah, you can get a bottle of 100 for like five bucks.

I tried Bonine for one cruise - and even with taking it before bedtime, I was sleepy the following day. I would doze any time that I sat down during the day.:eek: After a few days, with no improvement in daytime sleepiness, I gave up on the Bonine, and just used ginger and wrist bands.

The only advantage that I found to Bonine was that I slept like a log at night.

I take non drowsy dramamine at night before bed. I usually start it the morning we are boarding the ship and take it until I'm home. I usually start with one pill and unless the seas become rough, that usually enough. Then I'll just take a second one at night if necessary.

I'm not a big drinker but have had some wine while taking it with no ill effects.

If you take blood pressure medicine you aren't supposed to take these medicines so check with your doctor if you take anything regularly.

Have a great cruise!

When I saw your subject title I read it as "Bonnie" Questions and I thought to myself... yay, someone is being really positive and upbeat and .... um ...

Alas... but at least it is an Excellent question :)

Tom

Do you take 1 or 2?

The best time to take any sea sickness medicine for the first time is a few weeks before your cruise. I've read all sorts of recommendations for and against almost every sea sickness medicine on these boards so it is debatable which is best and which can cause problems. But the one thing that is certain is that you don't want to discover the side effects of a medicine for the first time when it might interfere with your cruise.

Personally, we find that ginger pills, the kind that is sold in the vitamin and supplement department of drugstores, works just fine for us and I've never heard of a bad reaction to ginger.

Worst story I've head was one I witnessed where a good friend of mine use the scopolamine patch on his second cruise after having sea sickness issues on his first. He became very ill and presumed it was sea sickness. It got so bad he went to the ship's doctor where they determined his sickness was an adverse reaction to the scopolamine.

Worst story I've head was one I witnessed where a good friend of mine use the scopolamine patch on his second cruise after having sea sickness issues on his first. He became very ill and presumed it was sea sickness. It got so bad he went to the ship's doctor where they determined his sickness was an adverse reaction to the scopolamine.

I think my question is ill-timed after your story :D Has anyone tried scopolamine, and how does it compare to bonine? I went to the doctor and asked for something to take on our cruise and was prescribed scopolamine, but I wish I knew the price before I filled the prescription! After shelling out a bunch of money I feel obligated to use it, but I wish I had thought about bonine before I went to the doctor. I remember using scopolamine as a kid and I was just fine, but I don't recall if I had any side effects. I've heard some people get dizzy or really thirsty; what are your experiences? Should I just go with the bonine instead?

I think my question is ill-timed after your story :D Has anyone tried scopolamine, and how does it compare to bonine? I went to the doctor and asked for something to take on our cruise and was prescribed scopolamine, but I wish I knew the price before I filled the prescription! After shelling out a bunch of money I feel obligated to use it, but I wish I had thought about bonine before I went to the doctor. I remember using scopolamine as a kid and I was just fine, but I don't recall if I had any side effects. I've heard some people get dizzy or really thirsty; what are your experiences? Should I just go with the bonine instead?

The most important post here suggested trying your medication well before you get on the ship.....see how it effects you before you leave home. That applies to the patch as well as Bonine.....every drug can effect you differently, even if it's over the counter.....and it doesn't matter how it effects someone else. Don't even bother to ask here....the answers don't apply to you.

I also take meclizine and have been known to have a drink or three. Liver tests are still normal, and I don't think I act any more stupid than usual.:p But I don't take the full dose, just one pill, two if the seas are terrible.

I used to be able to get by with ginger and sea bands, but no more. I need better living through chemistry.

No need to ask the pharmacist - the major drug chains (CVS, Walgreen's that I know for sure) sell their own label of meclizine (and lots of other meds) right next to the brand name, touting the price comparison.:)

Ginger may increase the risk of bleeding. Talk to your doctor before taking ginger if you take blood-thinners such as warfarin (Coumadin) or aspirin.

As previously mentioned, meclizine is available from Guest Relations. The correct dosage will vary for different individuals (even people of the same size and weight) so you can't just go by what it says on the package or by how much somebody else takes.

If in doubt, it is always advisable to consult your own doctor before taking any new medication.

Some people swear by the scopolamine patches, while others can't tolerate them at all and get terrrible side effects.

It may also be administered orally.

Then there are the non-medicinal remedies such as wearing seabands, or the more effective ReliefBands, eating green apples and crackers.

The key to the wristbands is getting the pressure positioned on the correct spot, which can vary somewhat from one person to another.

Archived