Live on Board the Riviera 6/6/2013

surfyachtie

Ahem Jim and Stan

There is no controversy from my side of things. I merely would have wished to convey my observations without the commentary from cc members at all as I have found most of it to be unhelpful and biased. As my OP indicated it was only me offering my experience to the forum but I was not requesting advice. After all this is called Cruise Critic is it not? I have been wasting my time trying to respond to the bias rather than enjoying myself on the cruise!

I don't wonder at your not wanting opinions about your Postings, given what those opinions were....:rolleyes:

Still, if you cast your bread upon the waters.....

sometimes, you just end up with soggy bread.

Incidentally, were LHT28, DOJO466, Vulcan 1971, Pretenda, Caviargal, Travelcat2 and I all equally unhelpful and biased, or did one of us stand out?

There is a bottle of champagne at stake :p

Perhaps it was my post. I said that the best way to handle the problem is not to be silent and just switch to another cruise line (you'll run out of cruise lines quite soon!) but rather to (politely) bring the service problem(s) to the attention of the responsible cruise manager.

Based on my experience with Oceania (and Regent), the problem(s) generally will be rectified--and you typically will be given royal treatment for the balance of the cruise, including an invitation to dine one night with the ship's officers...

I do wish that you would re-read the Posts that you comment on before making disparaging comments about them. :(

As it happens, not one single Post in this thread ever contested Surfyachties' opinion of the service that he received.

The controversy came about because of Surftachties opinion that if Service is not up to his standards, then he would rather just walk away from the Line than take the trouble of reporting the problem (voting with his wallet was the way that he phrased it).

The OP does not like the slow bar service and feels she should not have to go to the GM to get a decent level of service. They are entitled to their opinion. The posts here were trying to change that opinion, which I feel is pointless.

I guess everyone handles things differently. I just can't understand the reluctance to tell someone if something is not working, especially if it's early in the cruise and you have the chance to correct the situation for the duration. AS Eleanor Roosevelt said, "I'd rather light a candle than curse the darkness!"

Ahem Jim and Stan

There is no controversy from my side of things. I merely would have wished to convey my observations without the commentary from cc members at all as I have found most of it to be unhelpful and biased. As my OP indicated it was only me offering my experience to the forum but I was not requesting advice. After all this is called Cruise Critic is it not? I have been wasting my time trying to respond to the bias rather than enjoying myself on the cruise!

I think your enjoyment of the cruise should be top priority. When I was on the Riviera on the cruise before yours I posted (on another board). The commentary from CC members was..... as you say "unhelpful and biased". Some of us have offered advice to make your experience a bit better -- not to upset you.

I do hope you write a review at the conclusion of your cruise.

I guess everyone handles things differently. I just can't understand the reluctance to tell someone if something is not working, especially if it's early in the cruise and you have the chance to correct the situation for the duration. AS Eleanor Roosevelt said, "I'd rather light a candle than curse the darkness!"

Wripro maybe it is an Australian thing Im not sure but I do know that we like to give people a fair go as we call it and thankfully Oceania and the team on Riviera have responded magnificently without my intervention. Although there are some minor issues here and there I dare not mention them here as I will probably get sent to the naughty corner again :)

Thank you for reporting, please tell us more. I went to this thread because I usually like live reports ....

Thanks Floridiana, I am on the current saling on the Mariana. So many posters have opinions,(IMO) even when they have yet to experience a particular cruise line. I am not one of these. I base my observations on my actual trips on board ship. Tonight was the captains reception. We usually do not frequent this occasion because of the mad house experience involved. On Oceania, as you know, complimentary drinks are included in this reception. Need I say more!:rolleyes: Packed to the rafters in the Horizon lounge. Now, the dinner in the GDR, again was very well presented. Also very well attended. We arrived appox 8:30. Tables were a short wait. Toscana was available for seating if you wanted to make the switch. I think not, on my part. We were seated at a table for four, I'm rather all and am more than happy to wait for a larger table to accommodate this request. No problem. Matriade(sp) Rudy set the perfect table.

Selections for dinner, caviar, although paddlefish, still presented with all the right accents. Duck breast, red cabbage( one of my favorites) and potato gelee. A desert wine with my mango sorbet. Oh my. Again, one can always find something amiss if you want. For me, are you kidding! I'm cruising.

Tomorrow, Oslo, what could be better?

Currently on board Marina and while beverage service is fine in most areas the GDR is ridiculous. Appropriate complaints have been made. Our first night in the GDR our beverage order was eventually taken by one of the gentlemen in the cream coats as our appetizer arrived and he served our drinks as we were finishing the appetizer. The next time we saw anyone regarding beverages was after we had finished our meal when the sommelier came to get our world card. I guess 1 drink is all one is allowed with a meal.

Second night as the waiter served our appetizer I pointed out that no one had taken our beverage order. The poor waiter sent over a gentleman in a back jacket who took our order and brought my husbands beer. While I ate my appetizer the sommelier came to the table next to us and since I was still waiting for a glass of wine I boorishly did the two hands above my head wave at her. She nodded to me and walked away. As our meal was being served the gentleman came back with a bottle of wine saying that they had to find a bottle for my order. (I ordered the wine recommended for my entree.) We were never contacted again regarding beverages during that meal.

Tonight - Terrace where the service is better - sad but true.

Here's an idea for dealing with GDR beverage "service": walk to the nearest bar, order your drinks there, and carry them in with you. That should embarrass them into cleaning up their act...

Here's an idea for dealing with GDR beverage "service": walk to the nearest bar, order your drinks there, and carry them in with you. That should embarrass them into cleaning up their act...

Tried that last night - that was the only time I couldn't get service in a bar - waited 20 minutes while waiting for a table in the GDR - no service in the bar either. I don't mean to sound like alcohol is the most important thing - but it is part of the experience.

surfyachtie,

I hate to drag this out but I agree that one should always give people a fair go. That is not a uniquely Australian trait. However, I believe that giving someone a fair go is to nicely tell him/her when they are not doing something to your liking and give them the chance to correct it. If they do so it goes no further. Problem solved. But if they do not and they continue to make mistakes and you do nothing then you are not only depriving yourself of proper service you are depriving your fellow passengers. jmo.

Ok, out of Oslo tonight. Local time, 11:55pm. Sun finally set. Will rise again tomorrow about 4:50 am. You have to love the day light.

I am still having difficulties with some of the complaints. What's with the drink problems. Again, tonight in the Horizan lounge, 7:30, nobody around. I do not mean ship staff, I mean pax. Three minutes wait for a drink. Outrageous. Dinner in Touscana, requested some bubbly, ok, another 4 minute wait, again, outrageous. Ordered dinner from menu. Mr wine man, I can't spell somilier:( so I will leave it at that. Suggestions please. Wife ordered the lamb, a wonderful Australian red. My choice tonight veal limone. My wine man suggestion, a light white for my choice. Am I in a different world here, or, maybe someone else is.

I'm not sure when the other posters are arriving for there dinner sitting, but I may suggest arriving a little later in the evening. All venues do have a rush hour, avoid it. When the staff is tying to service a full house some attention will wane.

I tell you what. Join DW and myself for a couple of cocktails in the lounge before dinner. It does take the edge off.

Today, Oslo, a beautiful city. Being from the SW of the USA it was great to see green trees, cool temps, and more blondes, shhh to the DW.:D

Denmark tomorrow. I'll be up in the Horizon lounge tonight. Need a drink without delay. Join us, I'm buying.

Going to the GDR at 6:30 there are NO problems getting excellent service regarding beverages. The Executive Cellar Master caught up with us in one the the bars today after leaving a message and a letter regarding our concern. She expressed sincere concern regarding the problems we had experienced and will work to resolve.

A 4 minute wait for a drink after you order it isn't outrageous, really! When we order a drink at a restaurant at home or on the ship, we don't give are food order until we've enjoyed the cocktail at are pace---then we order another, after we get the drink we'll place the food order. We've never had trouble and we enjoy the evening at our pace, and that includes port with the cheese course. Wouldn't think of eating cheese without the port at the table.

Rick

A 4 minute wait for a drink after you order it isn't outrageous, really!...

That depends. If you're the only person at the bar (or the only person not served) and the bartender isnt currently making drink orders it should not take 4 minutes to get a beer or wine, or even a good martini.

Actually, an excellent martini should take longer to make than a mediocre one, because it should be stirred for close to a minute and not shaken (contrary to the Bond movie mantra) so that it comes out as a clear "silver bullet" and not cloudy and with ice chips. Some may prefer it the latter way but at least try it the former way some time.

Also, by the way, with really good gin (never vodka, which should be consumed neat out of the freezer, preferably with caviar) like Hendrick's, extremely little if any dry vermouth and no olive or onion in the martini (on the side, if you must) but just a lemon twist....

Actually, an excellent martini should take longer to make than a mediocre one, because it should be stirred for close to a minute and not shaken (contrary to the Bond movie mantra) so that it comes out as a clear "silver bullet" and not cloudy and with ice chips. Some may prefer it the latter way but at least try it the former way some time.

Also, by the way, with really good gin (never vodka, which should be consumed neat out of the freezer, preferably with caviar) like Hendrick's, extremely little if any dry vermouth and no olive or onion in the martini (on the side, if you must) but just a lemon twist....

Sadly however it seems more and more people (as well as bartenders) think vodka is the default liquor for a martini and that anything served in a martini glass is also a martini.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertainment/2012/04/martinis-no-longer-heineken-to-debut-as-james-bonds-new-drink/

Yes, I heard about that and saw it in "Skyfall." James Bond will eventually be back to sipping martinis (I recollect he may have had just one in Skyfall, sandwiched around the dreaded Heineken...a decent mass-market brew that James Bond would never, ever consume. Like the Dos Equis guy, he would rarely drink beer but when he did it would likely be Newcastle Brown Ale or Samuel Smith's, or a real English beer, would be my guess...)

Archived