How Regent Compares with Oceania

I think all this is because Jackie did use the word "bash" when talking about Crystal, but said she did it privately. And she probably used the word loosely.

I have not been on Crystal, and don't intend to be. I'm not bashing them, but there are good reasons why I'm not interested. Anybody has the right to this type of opinion.

As with Oceania--I believe Jackie has felt very strongly in the past that Oceania was not for her--she's now changed her mind. Good for her.

Correct on all counts, Wendy.

Isn't it great that we all have so many cruiselines to choose from, are able to do so an can provide opinions on them.

Nancy

PS. I tried to say this to you earlier but our Host deleted my post and many others...hum!!!

Edited by nancygp

Several points I'd like to respond to here.

First, I want to thank TC2 for the trouble she took to make this comparison. It takes a lot of effort and hard work to compile something like this and to continue responding to inquiries. Much more effort than I would be willing to make. To all those who question her motives please understand that she is just offering her own opinions. Just because she has more than 11000 posts does not make her the final authority on anything other than her own thoughts so don't come down on her if you happen to disagree. She and I do so often but I appreciate what she offers to this board so who cares? Plus she was kind enough to say she agrees with me 70% of the time. Now I'm trying to work my way up to 75%.

On another matter, the one of servers serving you in the Terrace Cafe. They are saying that it is for hygiene's sake because the serving utensils carry germs when passed from one set of hands to another. I understand this completely and actually like the policy. What I don't understand is that since both O and Regent are owned by the same company why do they not both have the same policy of hygiene? Does Regent not care about hygiene as much as O? Strange imo.

Plus she was kind enough to say she agrees with me 70% of the time. Now I'm trying to work my way up to 75%.

Why would you care :D

On another matter, the one of servers serving you in the Terrace Cafe. They are saying that it is for hygiene's sake because the serving utensils carry germs when passed from one set of hands to another. I understand this completely and actually like the policy. What I don't understand is that since both O and Regent are owned by the same company why do they not both have the same policy of hygiene? Does Regent not care about hygiene as much as O? Strange imo.

Possibly Regent cruisers are cleaner than Oceania cruisers :rolleyes:

I agree why would they not have the same serving system I think all lines should not have self serve

That is MY opinion

Lyn

Three things:

First, I actually would be interested in hearing your opinion(s) on the classism for which you criticized Oceania prior to sailing. Having now been on the ship, did you find it to be a positive / negative / neutral?

Specifics to include differential boarding times, priority tenders, specialty restaurant reservations, etc would be welcome.

Yes that would be very interesting observation/opinion

I wonder how it worked out when boarding

After her big speech about people not all being able to board at the same time

Enough with false accusations. I have not bashed Oceania or Crystal. If you think I have, link me to the post!

I have stated repeatedly that I did not a policy on Oceania. I have been harder on Regent than any cruise line. While I love the ships and the crew, I used every opportunity to post my dislike for the policy that corporate was going to put in place. This went on for months. Posters that actually have been reading the Regent board certainly know this. The areas where I have been critical of Oceania have to do with a specific policy (that I sure as heck are not going to rehash now).

What I find lacking in some of these posts is common sense. How many people would go on a cruise costing several thousand dollars without knowing something about it? Most people are not going to try each and every cruise line to see if they are going to be comfortable. Places like CruiseCritic give readers the opportunity to hear different views Reading websites and travel magazines adds to the knowledge we have before making a cruise booking.

I would never tell someone not to go on Regent, Oceania or any other cruise line just because we may not want to sail on it ourselves. I do tell them about policies and our experiences.

IMO, one of the main reasons these threads have been such a pain is that posters are not discussing issues -- they are attacking. On the recent dress code thread, there was a discussion about collared polo shirts. The policy clearly allows them. I clearly think they look cheap and wish they were not allowed. People attacked me for my view instead of giving their point of view. If you like polo shirts and think they look great -- say so instead of attacking.

I do not think that Oceania and Regent are alike. Others may disagree. There could be several good debates on this particular issue. However, for some, it is better to attack the poster than give the subject some thought and offer their point of view.

You are embellishing.....you said RL ---(the entire line) would be "out of place" in Compass Rose. To the newbie you were addressing, it was implied that if he or she wore RL, they would be out of place. It had nothing to do with your opinion that polo shirts look cheap. In fact, this is the first time you have stated that so clearly. Tell the truth and people won't give you a hard time.

Someone (an engineer?) needs to come up with a way to serve yourself in a sanitary manner.

When forced into such a situation I tend to use a napkin or similar to hold the utensils, but for preference I just avoid it which is generally not that hard on Regent.

When forced into such a situation I tend to use a napkin or similar to hold the utensils, but for preference I just avoid it which is generally not that hard on Regent.

Thanks - great idea!

LindaM -- You may want to let it go:confused: My opinion has not changed!!!!

I am aware that it is time consuming to write up and post the detailed posts on your recent Oceania cruise... and other lenghty posts. Thank you. I also keep in mind that it is your opinion and there are many pros and cons. I am considering taking a Regent cruise, and may try again the Oceania ships. And definitely NOT their (O's) original ships.

Now to decide on an itinerary.

Edited by 8dimsum

TC2, I just wanted to say thank you for the informative and helpful comparison of Regent and O. I've enjoyed and benefited from your posts over the years and hope to see many more. While we may have occasionally disagreed, it's always been interesting. And I have always enjoyed your frankness.

Thanks - great idea!

LindaM -- You may want to let it go:confused: My opinion has not changed!!!!

TC, you don't get it. I can see you are confused, as you say. This is not about your opinion. In discussing Regent's dress code in the Compass Rose, you stated anything RL would be out of place. In your opinion, you would not feel comfortable wearing that type of clothing. That's OK---it's understandable. This is NOT about polo shirts. You said RL is out of place. Maybe you didn't mean to, but you did. These posts originated with you saying RL is out of place. That's sort of like saying people are only allowed to wear certain manfacturers.

Again, this is about RL--not Polo shirts. If you put something in print, you can't pretend you didn't say it. I'm not about to go back and find the post, because I don't care. CC is only for my amusement! And, I'm getting my money's worth!!

They replied on the Oceania board that they often do NOT have Pinot Grigio. They do on the Riviera according to the OP but it is Danzante which is a pretty cheap Pinot. On Voyager they were pouring Santa Margherita. While I think it is overrated it is still considered top shelf whereas Danzante is not. Surprised!

They replied on the Oceania board that they often do NOT have Pinot Grigio. They do on the Riviera according to the OP but it is Danzante which is a pretty cheap Pinot. On Voyager they were pouring Santa Margherita. While I think it is overrated it is still considered top shelf whereas Danzante is not. Surprised!

Interesting! I did not find the wine selection for those of us with the "package" to be as good as Regent. Just did a quick check on the internet and found the Danzante approximately 1/2 the price of Santa Margherita.

Thanks for reporting back:-)

Luxury vs Luxury NOT!:eek:

They might not include Pinot Gregio in the wine package. But you can order it onboard.

One of the offerings is that you can meet with the Sommlier the first day and prebuy wine from the wine list of premium wines. There is a minmum of 3 bottles. We don't care for the daily pour wines as we have specific wines we like.. We buy enough wine for the full cruise to suit our tastes from the selection of premium wine. It follows us to the venue of choice. It's a perfect way for us to enjoy tasting new wines or old favorites.

Jackie - you said

"Gerry, hopefully you do not feel that way. It is unfortunate that people who do not know posters on the Regent board decide they know what we are thinking or doing. You and I have posted opposing views for years without getting snarky. So much of my review coincides with yours -- the absolute best food in the specialty restaurants, service, etc. If I offended you in any way, kindly let me know."

I might be stupid but I don't see what you are referring to!! You certainly have not offended me!! Not at all. (But maybe if you explain what you referred to I could decide to be offended???? !!!)

Re Polo shirts. We have to wear them to play golf. And I like them at the Golf Club. I don't mind them at lunch. But in the evening I think something dressier is called for. Ken disagrees but he has to live with me, so he puts on a normal shirt! And as for RL - I wear it a lot too. And there is RL and RL. some of it is very dressy. The polo with the big horse is not. And I don't have one of those!!

Gerry

Edited by Hambagahle

ChatKat: Your post made me curious so I googled wine lists on Oceania and on Marina (according to Oceania's website) they have 2 Pinot Grigio's and 1 Pinot Gris. I like Pinot Gris alot but will NOT spend $38 for a bottle of it when the average price of that wine is between $8.99 and $11.99. The Santa price is $49!! Obviously very pricey drinking in comparison. As I said previously in another thread - I enjoy my cocktails so I prefer a drinks package that includes a good wine. Just me!

Jackie - you said

"Gerry, hopefully you do not feel that way. It is unfortunate that people who do not know posters on the Regent board decide they know what we are thinking or doing. You and I have posted opposing views for years without getting snarky. So much of my review coincides with yours -- the absolute best food in the specialty restaurants, service, etc. If I offended you in any way, kindly let me know."

I might be stupid but I don't see what you are referring to!! You certainly have not offended me!! Not at all. (But maybe if you explain what you referred to I could decide to be offended???? !!!)

Re Polo shirts. We have to wear them to play golf. And I like them at the Golf Club. I don't mind them at lunch. But in the evening I think something dressier is called for. Ken disagrees but he has to live with me, so he puts on a normal shirt! And as for RL - I wear it a lot too. And there is RL and RL. some of it is very dressy. The polo with the big horse is not. And I don't have one of those!!

Gerry

Gerry -- the post I was referring to isn't there anymore. There was a suggestion that I was purposely disputing your review of the Riviera -- don't think I should say more than that.;)

Oh, to be a wine affecinato, with all that knowledge. I, for one would love to have the expertise palate. For me, the wine I am drinking is the right wine for me. Gris, Grigio, Noir, Merlot. It all ends up in the same place. For those with a presumed palate. Good luck in telling the difference between a $300.00 or more a bottle to one of a lesser value. If you can, then I need more advice on how!

Oh, to be a wine affecinato, with all that knowledge. I, for one would love to have the expertise palate. For me, the wine I am drinking is the right wine for me. Gris, Grigio, Noir, Merlot. It all ends up in the same place. For those with a presumed palate. Good luck in telling the difference between a $300.00 or more a bottle to one of a lesser value. If you can, then I need more advice on how!

There are only two things you need to know about wine:

1) What kind of wine you like; and,

2) Whether the wine they serve you is a good quality example of the wine you like.

Doesn't matter what it costs - just that it is a good wine that you like.

There are only two things you need to know about wine:

1) What kind of wine you like; and,

2) Whether the wine they serve you is a good quality example of the wine you like.

Doesn't matter what it costs - just that it is a good wine that you like.

Agree 100%.

OK Jackie - anyway I didn't see it! So you do not have to worry!!

As for the wines - we were well pleased with the list of wines by the glass on the Riviera. 12 or so on the list at all the venues including a magnificent Malbec. I suppose we liked it "too" much because they ran out of it!! I found ordering from this list better than having the Regent Sommelier pour the "standard" wine of the evening (or day) and then our having to ask for a substitute because, for example, we don't drink Sauvignon Blanc!

And I like the definition of a good wine as being a wine that one likes. Living in a wine growing region I am, I suppose, a bit picky about my wines. Santé!

Edited by Hambagahle

As for the wines - we were well pleased with the list of wines by the glass on the Riviera. 12 or so on the list at all the venues including a magnificent Malbec. I suppose we liked it "too" much because they ran out of it!! I found ordering from this list better than having the Regent Sommelier pour the "standard" wine of the evening (or day) and then our having to ask for a substitute because, for example, we don't drink Sauvignon Blanc!

And I like the definition of a good wine as being a wine that one likes. Living in a wine growing region I am, I suppose, a bit picky about my wines. Santé!

I'm so glad to hear this, after the negative comments I've been hearing. I'm usually happy if I can get a nice glass of decent chardonnay, and I love a good Malbec. So I'm sure I'll be happy.

Unfortunately, while I love most wine, I can't drink red. For some of us watching our dollars it really does matter what the price is and good value for money. For that reason we'll stick with Regent.

Three things:

First, I actually would be interested in hearing your opinion(s) on the classism for which you criticized Oceania prior to sailing. Having now been on the ship, did you find it to be a positive / negative / neutral?

Specifics to include differential boarding times, priority tenders, specialty restaurant reservations, etc would be welcome.

Second, having not actively participated in the recent dress code fight, I recognize some of those by whom you may feel attacked to have given their point of view - that being, if they are clearly within the dress code, it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks (about polo shirts or otherwise).

Third, you know you engender strong feelings in some here. Take it all with a grain of salt. Keep that which you find useful and discard the rest.

I would be interested in your observations on the first point

Thanks,

Mike

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app