Summit to Bermuda - Food

espo56

Friends of ours just returned from a trip to Bermuda on the Summit. They said they hated the food and it was terrible. Breakfast was ok but lunch and dinner were not so good. I'm sailing on the Summit in 2 weeks in Aqua so we will be eating in Blu. My main concern is that a group of friends have made plans to sail to Canada on a 14 trip next year and want us to go. We are supposed to book the 2014 sailing while on board. My friends said they will never sail the Summit again unless they improve the food. We won't be doing Aqua on the fall trip because we are a large group.

Any input or advice will be appreciated.

Without knowing what they didn't like, it's hard to comment.

I once listened to a passenger complain loudly about the food. THERE WAS TOO MUCH OF IT! he shouted. THE PORTIONS WERE TOO BIG. NOBODY SHOULD BE EXPECTED TO EAT THAT MUCH AND IT WAS JUST WASTED.

Well, you get the point.

Where did your friends eat? MDR? Specialty restaurants? buffet? hamburger grill? Aqua Spa cafe?

Sorry, but I think it's terrible also. The buffets were very low quality and unimaginative. The dining room...also low quality and boring. I really don't want to offend anyone with my opinion, but there were plenty of others on our cruise who felt the same way. From what I've heard, the Summit was not typical of other Celebrity ships, but I won't give Celebrity another chance.

I was on the Summit a year ago and thought the food was very good. After a few days the Buffet did get a little old but we certainly didn't go hungry. I think if you ask 5 people you'll get 6 opinions on the food. Unless something has changed drastically I can't see it being terrible. We ate in the MDR on 3 occasions, Qsine, Normandie and the buffet for dinner twice due to returning late to the ship. I think you'll have to judge for yourself.

I once listened to a passenger complain loudly about the food. THERE WAS TOO MUCH OF IT! he shouted. THE PORTIONS WERE TOO BIG. NOBODY SHOULD BE EXPECTED TO EAT THAT MUCH AND IT WAS JUST WASTED.

Well, you get the point.

Where did your friends eat? MDR? Specialty restaurants? buffet? hamburger grill? Aqua Spa cafe?

They ate mostly in the dinning room. They said the salmon was terrible. They had lunch in the buffet and said it was poor quality. They also said it was obvious that staff had been reduced all over the ship. There was no one to help with service issues. On the positive note they said the entertainment was great. I was on the Equinox and thought the food was hit or miss too. We loved the food on Princess. I think my friends prefer Princess too.

Not all buffets are created equal. There was no upkeep so the areas around the trays of food was dirty and messy, some of the labels were wrong, and just generally unappealing and dirty. The servers themselves had no idea what anything was and couldn't communicate. The drink stations were filthy all the time, milk and/or sugar missing, dirty teabags laying around. No one sees this? Hospitality 101 guys! Enough to lose your appetite.

They ate mostly in the dinning room. They said the salmon was terrible. They had lunch in the buffet and said it was poor quality. They also said it was obvious that staff had been reduced all over the ship. There was no one to help with service issues. On the positive note they said the entertainment was great. I was on the Equinox and thought the food was hit or miss too. We loved the food on Princess. I think my friends prefer Princess too.

I completely agree. The food and service was AWFUL on the Summit and I prefer Princess as well, but the entertainment was wonderful on the Summit.

Well, you get the point.

On our first cruise ever as we we disembarking the passengers in front of us were discussing the cruise. One man said that he didn't like the food. The other couple asked was wrong with the food. The man replied that he didn't like it and the portions were too small. I butted in and asked then why would you want larger portions if you didn't like it? Everyone started laughing as he just stood there dumbfounded.

On our first cruise ever as we we disembarking the passengers in front of us were discussing the cruise. One man said that he didn't like the food. The other couple asked was wrong with the food. The man replied that he didn't like it and the portions were too small. I butted in and asked then why would you want larger portions if you didn't like it? Everyone started laughing as he just stood there dumbfounded.

Miched, you always have something pertinent to add to any discussion! My .02 cents is that we have sailed Summit, Aqua Class, and other Celebrity ships as can be seen in my signature. We have been very happy with the food on all of our cruises - about the salmon, I have commented on other threads that it is always overcooked, I think catering to an overarching sensibility of some that well, like it that way - we have learned to always order the salmon med-rare, and voila, it is wonderful. We have had a dish here, a dish there, that was not up to par - but overall, excellent. Foodie quality, no, not always, but always overall, excellent. But never would I ever lay out the blanket statement that the original poster put forth about the food being sub par, rather, the opposite is my position.

Friends of ours just returned from a trip to Bermuda on the Summit. They said they hated the food and it was terrible. Breakfast was ok but lunch and dinner were not so good. I'm sailing on the Summit in 2 weeks in Aqua so we will be eating in Blu. My main concern is that a group of friends have made plans to sail to Canada on a 14 trip next year and want us to go. We are supposed to book the 2014 sailing while on board. My friends said they will never sail the Summit again unless they improve the food. We won't be doing Aqua on the fall trip because we are a large group.

My husband, adult daughter and I have just returned from Bermuda on the Summit. We ate breakfast most mornings in the main dining room or in Normandie as we are Elite. The one morning we ate upstairs at the buffet, everything was quite neat and the food was o.k. but nothing special - except for the waffles which were delicious as always.

We stayed clear of the buffet at lunchtime on the sea days - too much chaos. We ate in the main dining room, or at Bistro on 5 which for $5.00 is well worth it.

Dinners - the menus are not what they used to be for sure. Having said that, our meals were acceptable with the roast beef served on the first night being first rate. Celebrity used to make an effort with the veggies both in how they were cooked and presented. That does not happen anymore.

However, for us, the total Celebrity experience is our measure if we continue to cruise with Celebrity and the friendly staff, excellent entertainment and the many public rooms outweigh the change on the dining menus.

Pat

We thought the food was subpar on Summit in January. The buffet was awful. Aqua Spa was good if you ordered freshly grilled items like tuna, chicken etc. (but this is no longer offered). The rest of the set up at Aqua Spa was sad and weird. Thankfully for lunch we were off the ship most days so not an issue at lunchtime. We had a turkey burger one day that was fine and we ate in Bistro on Five one day which was average. Very glippy gloppy crepes. Too much stuff in them. Nothing simple. Not a fan. MDR was very hit or miss the nights we went. BLU was for the most part good, but not as good as we had on the Eclipse the year before. Room service menu for breakfast had changed. No very limited. No more grilled veggies and goat cheese which was my favorite. Cappuncinos always room temp when they arrived. No more mini sandwiches at Bacio in the afternoon. Another favorite of mine gone...and they are not the same as the ones you can get at buffet, so don't think you can make up for it there. Breakfast items at Bacio were wonderful though. Best muffins, brioche breads, etc.. Normandie was delicious. Had steak diane. It was great. So, is cheese cart. I am hoping we get some better food on Reflection. We are in AQ rather than our usual sky suite, so at least we won't be paying out of our ears for average food this time around. Fingers crossed.

Just off Summit a couple of weeks ago, and I thought the food was terrific. They had a wide variety of things in the buffet for lunch and the one dinner we ate in there. We ate in the dining room four times and it was all very good. I especially loved the crab stuffed mushrooms. The pool grille was great. My only disappointing meal was in the Bistro on 5 for breakfast one morning, my crepe was pretty dry and dull. We also ate in Qsine, which was fun and yummy.

The week after I came back I had to go to a work conference at a top resort in Colorado Springs (not the Broadmoor) and ate the breakfast and lunch buffet there both days - it was terrible. Totally tasteless and the food selection was meager (co-workers said the same thing). I found myself really missing the Summit's Oceanview Cafe!

Just off Summit a couple of weeks ago, and I thought the food was terrific. They had a wide variety of things in the buffet for lunch and the one dinner we ate in there. We ate in the dining room four times and it was all very good. I especially loved the crab stuffed mushrooms. The pool grille was great. My only disappointing meal was in the Bistro on 5 for breakfast one morning, my crepe was pretty dry and dull. We also ate in Qsine, which was fun and yummy.

The week after I came back I had to go to a work conference at a top resort in Colorado Springs (not the Broadmoor) and ate the breakfast and lunch buffet there both days - it was terrible. Totally tasteless and the food selection was meager (co-workers said the same thing). I found myself really missing the Summit's Oceanview Cafe!

I just got off the Summit this past Sunday. We ate in the MDR every night. We thought the food was acceptable but not outstanding - nor was it horrible. Whenever food is being made for such a large crowd, my expectations are immediately lowered. I thought the service by our waiter and asst waiter was outstanding.

Not a fan of buffets to begin with so that pretty much met my expectations. Avoided the buffet for the most part though I did nibble on the pizza a few times for a mid-afternoon snack.

All in all, I did manage to put on a few pounds :)

Food is a VERY subjective....just check the postings.

To the original poster, sorry your friends hated the food.

Hate is such a strong word....to hate everything served?:confused: Yikes.:eek:

As you can see, food preferences vary...one poster said they

loved it. Another poster said it was subpar.

I would be hardpressed to say I ever hate it. Are there some foods I like

better than other things? Yes,:D but to say I hate the food? Guess I am

just easy...I always find foods I enjoy:)

Food is a VERY subjective....just check the postings.

To the original poster, sorry your friends hated the food.

Hate is such a strong word....to hate everything served?:confused: Yikes.:eek:

As you can see, food preferences vary...one poster said they

loved it. Another poster said it was subpar.

I would be hardpressed to say I ever hate it. Are there some foods I like

better than other things? Yes,:D but to say I hate the food? Guess I am

just easy...I always find foods I enjoy:)

Lois, have you ever had jerk chicken? It's on the menu, the first night. My DH and I got it and we loved it. The chicken was so juicy and moist and flavorful. We found the food in the MDR for dinner was good to very good.

I have to say I was getting tired of the buffet. Not that the food was bad, it just was the same old, same old stuff and I don't want to get pizza and pasta on a ship. I get enough of that at home.

I'm sure you will find plenty to eat on board.

Lois, have you ever had jerk chicken? It's on the menu, the first night. My DH and I got it and we loved it. The chicken was so juicy and moist and flavorful. We found the food in the MDR for dinner was good to very good.

I have to say I was getting tired of the buffet. Not that the food was bad, it just was the same old, same old stuff and I don't want to get pizza and pasta on a ship. I get enough of that at home.

I'm sure you will find plenty to eat on board.

Hi Anne Maria, nope have never tried it. Sounds good though:)

As for finding plenty to eat? No worries about that:D....I know we

all have different tastes..that is part of our individuality. As I said,

I must be very easy.....I always find foods I like;)

I am happy with a plate of cheeses/fruits and some bread....a cold

beer or glass of wine and I have a nice lunch:)

Sailed Summit on May 12. We enjoyed the food in MDR every night and once in the MDR for lunch. Loved breakfast in MDR or made to order egg station in buffet. I did not find the lunch buffet options appealing. It seemed to me there was much less variety than on S class ships. Most days, I had either a salad or a sandwich fom thevbuffetvareacat the back of the ship. Friends enjoyed the burgers at the grill.

I didn't have a problem with service issues on the Summit but have to agree with the comment about the food. I have read numerous complaints on this board about the poorly prepared fish. With that said one night I ordered the salmon and a steak at the buffet because it was hit or miss in the MDR all week. I figured I would like at least one. I couldn't cut or chew the steak but I liked the salmon. The food on Princess is much better and you can't even compare the buffets. Celebrity's buffet was closed most of the time with nothing to eat between 3 and 5 except crappy rubber pizza or hockey puck hamburgers at the pool. I did enjoy the sandwiches at lunch time on sea days but you were out of luck if you wanted to eat anything if you got back from port at 3:00pm. Princess always has something good to eat in the buffet at that time. I would still sail Celebrity because their Caribbean itineraries are much better than what Princess is offering which is how I came to try Celebrity. As an added note the specialty restaurants are over priced. We ate in Qsine and all I will say is once is enough.

Sent from my iPhone using the Cruise Critic App

Face it folks, Celebrity as a whole ain't what it used to be. But then again, what is? They have kept their prices competitive over the years, and have even lowered them somewhat. The food is more mass market than it was when Michel Roux was the executive chef. However, there are far more choices onboard than there used to be. When we first started cruising Celebrity in 1995, dinner was the MDR or nothing. Now you have specialty dining. The buffet is available through the dinner hours. There is sushi available along with pizza, pasta, and a grilled option at the back of the boat, not to mention Bistro on 5, which is a very good alternative for five bucks. I would love to have the old Celebrity back, but I think we would have to agree that the pricing would be far higher than it currently is.

I was on The Summit last summer in Aqua and thought the food was every bit as good as every other Celebrity ship on which I have sailed on. I have previously sailed twice on the Constellation, once on the Mercury, once on the Infinity and I did a back to back on the Solstice. On Summit, we ate most of our dinners and all of our breakfasts in Blu. We had one dinner each in the Normandie and Qsine. Personally, Qsine was my least favorite, but I would definitely try it again.

Archived