Royal Princess preview cruise Jun 9-11 - review

black_velvet

Thanks for the review.

I have been reading everything i can about the Royal since booking 15 months ago, finally sail next month.

There has been a lot of negativity about the lack of midship stairs, i have sailed a number of times on the Grand and my cabin on the Royal is midship. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but i never go on a cruise and look at negatives i try to turn any little negative to a positive. eg no midship stairs so i always walk along the corridor to the forward or aft stairs (never use the elevators) this means I can have an extra pastry from the Pastry shop as i burned extra calories.

I am very excited about boarding the Royal and intend to make the most of everything she offers

I didn't notice any, and I think I saw a reply in the Rai Caluori Q&A that it's not possible to play your own devices through the TV.

By the way, LouisRoederer's photos suggest there are at least two US sockets, at least in his cabin. I probably missed one when looking.

Rod

A quick question about the cabin televisions. Did you happen to notice if there were any side connections (hdmi, etc). Thanks in advance for your reply.....:):):)

Bob

Great review. I was onboard for the weekend and have to say I loved the ship. I agree the atrium is something special. A great place to listen to the live music they had there. Also the next morning I found it a lovely place to have coffee.

Totally agree with your comments on the Skywalk and it was mentioned by quite a few people. I have added it to the Q&A to see if we get a reply.

Regarding plug sockets I took a few pics for info :

DSC01290_zps3fbbcd7e.jpg

DSC01291_zpsd81a40be.jpg

There was also one in the bathroom ( US style ) with a safety cover to close when not in use.

I liked the wardrobe space and the way that area has been designed.

DSC01281_zps43aa237e.jpg

Hi, I noticed you had the standard UK /US adapter in your photo. Did that fit into the wall socket OK?

Regards

Marty, London

My UK/US adapters fitted into the wall socket fine, but I could only use the 2-pin one. The 3-pin plugged in ok, but the socket is set so low above the desk that there wasn't room for the plug for smart phone or iPad. What I usually do is take a UK 4-socket plugboard and plug that in to the wall with the adapter.

Hi, I noticed you had the standard UK /US adapter in your photo. Did that fit into the wall socket OK?

Regards

Marty, London

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but i never go on a cruise and look at negatives i try to turn any little negative to a positive.

It will be interesting to see if/how folks can turn the thrashed promenade deck into a positive :confused:

It will be interesting to see if/how folks can turn the thrashed promenade deck into a positive :confused:

to be honest i am an avid walker and walk on the promenade deck for at least an hour every afternoon while cruising, i have found that more often than not there is maintenance on deck and part of the prom deck is taped off so can't get all the way round anyway. This happened almost every day on the Grand for the past few cruises we were on. I just turned round and retraced my steps, when i reached the rope on the other side I once again turned round and retraced my steps. Can't let it spoil my enjoyment of the cruise.

Must admit i am really looking forward to walking on the sports track this time.

I will still stroll on the prom deck in an evening and take it for what it is.

The more people who don't book because of it means more room for me and mine:D

to be honest i am an avid walker and walk on the promenade deck for at least an hour every afternoon while cruising, i have found that more often than not there is maintenance on deck and part of the prom deck is taped off so can't get all the way round anyway. This happened almost every day on the Grand for the past few cruises we were on. I just turned round and retraced my steps, when i reached the rope on the other side I once again turned round and retraced my steps. Can't let it spoil my enjoyment of the cruise.

Must admit i am really looking forward to walking on the sports track this time.

And discounted fares if bookings don't happen. Unfortunately for me with the negative reviews it seems like the prices on older ships, which I prefer because of the pools may go up.

It's a ship, not a relationship.

Like any other place that is special to someone, a ship can certainly engender a relationship. There are people who will say that Golden Princess is their favorite and most treasured ship - even though there are others with more amenities - because of the memories that were made on that ship. I've done the same with Regal Princess 1 - she was a very special ship to me and I chose cruises just to be on her. Royal Princess has the opportunity to create the same kind of relationship with it's passengers - just look at David's thread.

Quite true - hopefully there won't be so much room for you and yours that the ship becomes a failure. I think we all know better than to spend money on a ship that is not appealing.

Its almost against cruise critic rules to post on here that you dont like the Royal Princess. You have been warned

Since they closed and deleted the Royal Princess design:badly solsticized thread I'm inclined to agree with you.

Since they closed and deleted the Royal Princess design:badly solsticized thread I'm inclined to agree with you.

Darn and I hadn't finished reading that thread.

I did note that it had 44,000+ views and 500+ posts so it was a lively one.

I was pleased and disappointed with the review on the Royal Princess I would have liked the Promenade deck to have been there. The toilet and wash dispensers will be a bit of a problem. But, On the other hand I know that I will enjoy my holiday, sailing from Barcelona to Venice 23rd July 2013.I also hope to make new friends as I will be travelling alone.

I am not looking for a husband, just someone to chat to at dinner or on tours.

Re the posted photo of the socket, can you use a USA and European adaptor at the same time?, when in the Caribbean, can you bring a a mulitpoint extension lead (do you have those in the USA? -Walmart?. Would they work with UK 220v appliances-battery charger for camera/e-cig charger/hair straighteners?

Can you open up adjacent balconies?

Any ideas on lack of drawers, I am on 5/7 B2B Oct 29th, thinking what to do with all my hair/make up I usually struggle with what drawers in the normal balcony on Grand class ships?, maybe try to find folding box?

Thank you in anticipation of your replies

Like any other place that is special to someone, a ship can certainly engender a relationship. There are people who will say that Golden Princess is their favorite and most treasured ship - even though there are others with more amenities - because of the memories that were made on that ship. I've done the same with Regal Princess 1 - she was a very special ship to me and I chose cruises just to be on her. Royal Princess has the opportunity to create the same kind of relationship with it's passengers - just look at David's thread.

I always say the Emerald Princess is special, but it's not the ship...it's the crew and the memories they evoke. Even after spending nearly a year on that ship, i wouldn't consider it one of my life's relationships. Perhaps I'm highly unsentimental...life tends to do that to people as it takes more and more of their past. But I meant it differently. I defend a relationship, I love people, I want only good things for friends and family. A ship, to me, is a business entity. And I have a hard time getting emotional about entities. And I guess that's why it's hard for me to understand people who do.

JMHO, of course. But I guess it explains why, while injustices in the world frequently move me to tears, I didn't shed a single one watching the Royal Princess christening ceremony. It's a ship, not a relationship.

Hi Rod!

THANK YOU for a well balanced and thoughtful review. :D

Hello - in total agreement with Dave and others who have noted that this is an excellent review.

Would you consider also posting it in the Princess Cruise Reviews section of Cruise Critic?

Before taking my first cruise with DH, I relied heavily on the very informative CC Ship Reviews. I think future cruisers would find your review most helpful.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this Rod.

Quite true - hopefully there won't be so much room for you and yours that the ship becomes a failure. I think we all know better than to spend money on a ship that is not appealing.

Hi, agree with you regarding the beautiful Regal Princess=1....loved her in 1998 Alaska cruise...now still cruise on her out of Brisbane Australia. as the Pacific Dawn...

I would now love to cruise on the new Royal Princess. the photos are just beautiful..

kind regards, Lorraine:):)

But they chopped off ALL posts after March 26!! So all posts made AFTER people actually got on the ship and were able to make comparisons and comments have been deleted. Really odd.

I wouldn't be surprised if Princess asked for them to be removed. After all it had over 44,000 views. Not good when you are trying to fill a new ship. Last time I looked the Caribbean sailings in the fall had dropped in price but I think that has more to do with the itinerary than the ship.

Don't know about using US and European adapters at the same time, but as I replied earlier, I normally take a 4-socket extension lead; just didn't bother this time for such a short cruise. However, that won't handle the differences in voltage, so we only take electrics that can handle dual voltage. Fortunately, that includes our smart phones, iPads, camera battery charger.

Re the posted photo of the socket, can you use a USA and European adaptor at the same time?, when in the Caribbean, can you bring a a mulitpoint extension lead (do you have those in the USA? -Walmart?. Would they work with UK 220v appliances-battery charger for camera/e-cig charger/hair straighteners?

Thank you (and others) for the kind words. I've not written a cruise review before but thought there would be enough interest in the new ship to make it worthwhile. Perhaps I'll write others in future.

I've taken up your suggestion, and submitted it for publication in the Reviews section as well. I think when I looked a few days ago they didn't have Royal listed yet, but it is now (though the balcony classes listed don't quite match those on the ship).

Regards

Rod

Hello - in total agreement with Dave and others who have noted that this is an excellent review.

Would you consider also posting it in the Princess Cruise Reviews section of Cruise Critic?

Before taking my first cruise with DH' date=' I relied heavily on the very informative CC Ship Reviews. I think future cruisers would find your review most helpful.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this Rod.[/quote']

It'll be a short one...

I wouldn't be surprised if Princess asked for them to be removed. After all it had over 44,000 views. Not good when you are trying to fill a new ship.

I'd hope CC has more integrity that to buckle to pressure from a supplier because passengers don't like the companies design flaws:eek:

Like you I always walk on the promenade deck... that is until I went on the new Celebrity ships... did walk one day... no view of the sea, narrow and uninviting. What I did instead on the last Celebrity ship, is simply walk inside on the main deck from the theatre to back lounge - back and forth ... worked for me, would have preferred to be outside but not really into using the jogging track up on top of the ship. If the Royal is anything like the Celebrity ships on the promenade... folks who really enjoy the views, fresh air and the sense of being on ship at sea, will really miss all of that and not use the promenade.

Archived