Royal Princess preview cruise Jun 9-11 - review

black_velvet

Answer: I think that's exactly right, though I didn't try to get out on deck midships. I think passengers aren't allowed to walk anywhere beneath the lifeboats. I did briefly wander out at the front, using the door near the entrance to the theatre, but I suspect that's meant to be crew only - the signage was a little unclear.

Comment: good point - I hadn't thought about the possible impact on getting to your muster stations in a real emergency: we were near the forward stairs, and didn't discover the lack of midship stairs till sometime after the muster drill.

Thanks for posting your thoughts. A question about this first point, and a comment on the second.

Question: Can you describe for us what portions of the Promenade are open to the public? In looking at the deck plan, is it just the two sections (on each side) that are "bumped out", meaning the areas outside of the Vista and the areas outside of Crooners and Facets with no access anywhere where you see a lifeboat?

Comment: What were they thinking by discontinuing the staircase beyond Deck 7? Isn't that a serious safety concern? Rule number one in an emergency: Don't use the elevators. So are mid-ship passengers supposed to walk all the way down the hallways to access the stairs? That would be bad enough when they are just walking at their leisure. But in a real emergency, clogging up the thin hallways with all the midship passengers trying to get to the fore or aft stairs would be a nightmare. I'm really surprised that this design passed muster, pun intended.

Answer: I think that's exactly right, though I didn't try to get out on deck midships. I think passengers aren't allowed to walk anywhere beneath the lifeboats. I did briefly wander out at the front, using the door near the entrance to the theatre, but I suspect that's meant to be crew only - the signage was a little unclear.

Thanks for the info. So the "Promenade" is really a couple of "Viewing Platforms". But I guess that wouldn't make a good name for a Deck.:cool:

You are not alone in your disappointment in this feature. One of the things that I have enjoyed about Princess and the design of her ships is the outward focus with a continued emphasis on the view from the rail to the ocean instead of building ships that force you to turn inward toward Central Parks and cavernous atriums. But I guess there is now a shift, as looking outward, staring at the ocean generates no revenue. I guess they figure that 3,500 people will all have to take turns standing on the Sun Deck at the rails above the Sea Walk and Sea View Bar to capture the feeling that they used to get on the Promenades.

I think there are stairs midship but are crew onlt. I guess in an emergency they will be opened up. Only problem with that is the stairs for midship passengers will not be familiar to them. As for the promanade I love going out there in the evening and using it as an escape from the crowds, great way to get quickly from the Princess theater to club fusion and back again

I guess they figure that 3,500 people will all have to take turns standing on the Sun Deck at the rails above the Sea Walk and Sea View Bar to capture the feeling that they used to get on the Promenades.

I don't ever recall 3,500 people all standing on the Promenade Deck? ;)

I think as others have pointed the Royal represents a new trend for promenade decks as more viewing areas rather than areas to walk around. Its likely they have been on recent ships up till now as a way to access the lifeboats. At this point it seems like cruise lines either abandon full/partial wrap around promenade decks (like the Royal) or create areas of promenade that generate income (NCL Breakaway) with outdoor venues. I prefer the latter and think its a great idea. The promenade deck is always a great bypass to get around crowds when shows get out.

Oh well, maybe the ships after the Royal/Regal will change this.

Great review. I was onboard for the weekend and have to say I loved the ship. I agree the atrium is something special. A great place to listen to the live music they had there. Also the next morning I found it a lovely place to have coffee.

Totally agree with your comments on the Skywalk and it was mentioned by quite a few people. I have added it to the Q&A to see if we get a reply.

Regarding plug sockets I took a few pics for info :

DSC01290_zps3fbbcd7e.jpg

DSC01291_zpsd81a40be.jpg

There was also one in the bathroom ( US style ) with a safety cover to close when not in use.

I liked the wardrobe space and the way that area has been designed.

DSC01281_zps43aa237e.jpg

Yes, I walked onto the Promenade desk outside Vista on both sides. The doors are in the usual place, and it is a really nice area from the door round to the stern (though it's a smoking area on the starboard side) with comfortable loungers - but it's pretty small, and I imagine it will fill up quickly. You can't get all the way round at the back, though - you have to come back in through the door you used to come out. Didn't try walking out midships, but I think it's similarly small.

Did you notice if the starboard side midship is smoking too? We have a cabin on the Emerald deck right above the midship area so I'm hoping its non-smoking.

Thanks!

Sorry, can't help you - I didn't go out midships. I can see why you don't want a group of smokers congregating under your balcony, though. Hope it works out for you.

Did you notice if the starboard side midship is smoking too? We have a cabin on the Emerald deck right above the midship area so I'm hoping its non-smoking.

Thanks!

Yes. We got one of the usual round white Princess soaps, presumably intended for use at the basin. Personally I prefer soap to shower gel, so I'd probably ask for an extra soap for the shower on a longer cruise.

Thanks for the review. You mention shower gel in the shower. Is there soap in the bathroom?

Thanks for the info. So the "Promenade" is really a couple of "Viewing Platforms". But I guess that wouldn't make a good name for a Deck.:cool:

You are not alone in your disappointment in this feature. One of the things that I have enjoyed about Princess and the design of her ships is the outward focus with a continued emphasis on the view from the rail to the ocean instead of building ships that force you to turn inward toward Central Parks and cavernous atriums. But I guess there is now a shift, as looking outward, staring at the ocean generates no revenue. I guess they figure that 3,500 people will all have to take turns standing on the Sun Deck at the rails above the Sea Walk and Sea View Bar to capture the feeling that they used to get on the Promenades.

I agree. I have thought from the git-go that the Royal seems inward focused during the day and oddly outward-focused (water shows?) at night, when, in reality, people seem to utilize a cruise ship in the opposite manner. I was happy to see lots of windows on Deck 7 in the Piazza; hopefully they will have some on Deck 5 too.

Personally, I'll miss our stroll after dinner on the Promenade. We will try to do the same on Lido Deck and, hopefully, blowing water plumes won't force us inside. I don't see us going up to the jogging track after dark, but I'm sure the views from up there will be fabulous.

Another cruiser on the 2 day cruise mentioned that there was no Explorer Lounge? Is that so?

Can't imagine how the entertainment will be varied enough and managed with only Princess Theatre, Vista Lounge, Crooners and Wheelhouse. And I'm guessing no Adagio either ?

Can't walk on the Promenade, no midship stairs, skywalk looks down on starboard balconies, Caribe and Dolphin balconies not bigger and now no Explorer Lounge (to be confirmed).

..hmmmm, not sure how the bigger Atrium and more balcony cabins balances this out.

'New' is great but I would have hoped 'better'....time will tell I guess.

'New' is great but I would have hoped 'better'....time will tell I guess.

To some people it is better. And a lot of people are choosing this ship over others for what is offers, not what it lacks. And for those that think it's not their cup of tea, then don't book it. There are 16 other ships in the fleet.

I may have to try this one for a short cruise but... Not being able to walk around the ship on the Promenade deck is a biggie for us. We LOVE walking the Promenade deck all the way around. The bow and stern are excellent parts of the walk. How can one not want to pause to watch the wake?

I've been drooling over this ship for months and wishing I was booked on her. After reading the posts from folks who have actually been aboard I'm not so sure that this ship would be a good fit for us.

My favorite kind of review. Thank you! You pointed out the positives and the negatives which is a balanced approach. Nothing is ever perfect and usually nothing is all bad either.

The way you spelled it out makes it easy for people to determine if the issues you encountered will be issues for them as well. Everyone has different concerns and expectations as you know. If the issues are substantial enough, they can decide to book another ship or cruise line. I also think it's important that Princess hear and recognize those areas that are falling short, so they can take corrective action when appropriate.

While RP is far from perfect, I do like most of what I see. In fact I wasn't overly excited about this ship but the more I see of her the more I like. I will probably book a Caribbean cruise on her this Fall.

Out of all the things you mentioned, what bothers me most is no stairs above Deck 7 midship. I don't understand the rationale behind this? I remember when GRAND PRINCESS was introduced, there was a similar situation as the midship stairs were originally designated "crew only" or something to that effect (it's been many years so I don't remember all the details). This is in part why the elevators are separate from the stairs, and there are two crew elevators right by the midship staircase. Anyway Princess saw fit to upgrade the stairs and make them available to passengers. I can assure you on RP there is a stair tower midship that goes all they way up to the top, but for whatever reason Princess decided to make it crew only. It would have to be there for fire safety and evacuation reasons, and you can see the blank white area on the deck plan behind the midship elevators that goes all the way to Deck 16. I also notice that Rai Caluori chose not to answer this very question on the open Q&A here on CC, even though it was posted very early on. While there are plenty of other ships that have only two stair towers, the set up is a bit different than RP so it's more feasible, and it's very unusual to have a set of elevators without stairs. I could be wrong, but on a mega-ship such as this I only see the lack of a stair option by the elevators as leading to even more crowding on the elevators. Interestingly enough, the Grand Class has the same amount of elevators as the RP, and carries almost 600 fewer passengers.

Ernie

Its almost against cruise critic rules to post on here that you dont like the Royal Princess. You have been warned

:D :D

People should not be afraid to speak their minds. We are all entitled to our opinions, and this site is called "Cruise Critic" after all! I like to think people are intelligent enough to read the good and the bad, and make their own informed decisions about what is and is not important to them.

I don't ever recall 3,500 people all standing on the Promenade Deck? ;)

Ever see a ship evacuated?

Its almost against cruise critic rules to post on here that you dont like the Royal Princess. You have been warned

Amen brother - I do find it interesting, however, to see that reviews from some are balanced in like/dislike rather than overwhelmingly positive...

Archived