Royal Princess Tour - 12 June

Esprit

attachment.php?attachmentid=275194&stc=1&d=1371060681

attachment.php?attachmentid=275195&stc=1&d=1371060702

Just returned from our tour! What a fantastic ship.

Two pictures I thought might interest most people is the view from the Sky Walk. Definitely gives you a birds eye view of the balconies and I certainly wouldn't want one of those cabins in shot.

Whilst the weather in Southampton was bloody awful it didn't spoil our wonderful time aboard. Have cruised a few times we thought we would never get the "wow" factor again but Royal Princess brought it back.

The Atrium is stunning and we really enjoyed the Symphony restaurant where we enjoyed an excellent three course meal with plenty of wine.

Other hightlights are the Lotus Spa. Just amazing and huge! All the pool side areas looked so inviting too. You will be spoilt for choice where to sit. My favourite spot will be up forward just before the sanctuary.

The Horizon Court was novel and we really liked the feel of the night club (Club 6).

Now for the disappointments!

The standard balcony cabin is tiny whilst the mini suites seem to be the size of standard balcony cabins on other Princess ships.

No dance floor in the Wheelhouse Bar. In fact if you like to dance the only place with a sizable floor will be the atrium.

The Outrigger bar at the back is mostly covered over and almost seems gloomy (admittedly our grey Southampton sky didn't help)

Apart from the expensive suites front and rear, the balconies are very small, although some of the ones mid ships under the Sky Walk look bigger.

Despite these few gripes I'm so envious of those who will cruise on her shortly.

While I agree the Luke "Skywalkers" will be able to see in some of the cabins, at least you don't have the total exposure on the Dolphin decks as you do on other Princess ships. I know some like the fully exposed Dolphins but you can see everything happening on those decks. I do admit seeing inside the cabin from the Skywalk is a little creepy, though.

Hmm. That is pretty exposed (more than I thought) - reconsidering the cabin we selected for next year.

Hoping someone will book the specific cabin to see how bad it is..

For those wishing to book the cabins under Skywalkers I would recommend the port side as there are just the glass floor windows from which people could view you.

attachment.php?attachmentid=275362&stc=1&d=1371150498

Unfortunately these are uncovered and overlooked, but at least they are bigger than the regular cabins and mini suites

Are all the aft balconies totally uncovered? I thought I read that some (maybe baja or dolphin deck) are half covered??

While I agree the Luke "Skywalkers" will be able to see in some of the cabins, at least you don't have the total exposure on the Dolphin decks as you do on other Princess ships. I know some like the fully exposed Dolphins but you can see everything happening on those decks. I do admit seeing inside the cabin from the Skywalk is a little creepy, though.

The difference is that on the other ships, while Dolphin balconies are in the open, other folks out on their balconies don't have a real reason or need to be staring at you, if for no other reason than that there are so many Dolphin balconies to see and the view is diluted based on volume. But people on that Skywalk and at the bar are all but invited and encouraged to look down at the staterooms below. That is the very purpose of the walkway itself, isn't it? Why have a cutaway floor if not to invite people to look down through it? So those poor people on Lido and Marina Decks are absolutely going to be faced with the curious and uncomfortable stares of hundreds of people each day, all day. I find this very, very different from (and far worse than) the distant gazes of the people on the Lido or Sun Decks who look down at the Dolphin Mimi Balconies. Very, very different. The photo posted really puts this in sharp relief and I cannot see how anyone would tolerate those cabins on Lido and Marina, bigger balcony or not.

The difference is that on the other ships, while Dolphin balconies are in the open, other folks out on their balconies don't have a real reason or need to be staring at you, if for no other reason than that there are so many Dolphin balconies to see and the view is diluted based on volume. But people on that Skywalk and at the bar are all but invited and encouraged to look down at the staterooms below. That is the very purpose of the walkway itself, isn't it? Why have a cutaway floor if not to invite people to look down through it? So those poor people on Lido and Marina Decks are absolutely going to be faced with the curious and uncomfortable stares of hundreds of people each day, all day. I find this very, very different from (and far worse than) the distant gazes of the people on the Lido or Sun Decks who look down at the Dolphin Mimi Balconies. Very, very different. The photo posted really puts this in sharp relief and I cannot see how anyone would tolerate those cabins on Lido and Marina, bigger balcony or not.

I'm not sure it's worse. I had a Dolphin deck cabin and I found cigarette butts, etc. on my balcony from the inconsiderate people above. That is worse, to me at least, than having curious glances here and there. At least all of the side balconies are covered on the Royal. It has its advantages and disadvantages. Maybe if people refrain from booking those cabins, Princess will discount them.

I'm not sure it's worse. I had a Dolphin deck cabin and I found cigarette butts, etc. on my balcony from the inconsiderate people above.

Given that smoking is no longer allowed on the balconies, it would be hard for this to happen now. Could a butt drift down from the Lido deck? I suppose. But the wind is surely going to cause the butt to land pretty much randomly, so the Dolphin balconies should be no more or less likely to receive the wayward trash. (If people were tossing them down directly from Caribe, well, that is another matter entirely.)

Thanks for the pictures! :)

LuLu

~~~~

My pleasure. I'll put some more up this evening.

It's been two days since our RP tour and the impression it left on me is still a great one.

Given that smoking is no longer allowed on the balconies, it would be hard for this to happen now. Could a butt drift down from the Lido deck? I suppose. But the wind is surely going to cause the butt to land pretty much randomly, so the Dolphin balconies should be no more or less likely to receive the wayward trash. (If people were tossing them down directly from Caribe, well, that is another matter entirely.)

Good point about the no smoking policy now. I just think people will "adjust" as they always have with issues on other ships. While I haven't personally toured the Royal, it looks lovely to me. I went on the Disney Fantasy last year with my child and didn't think I would like it because of all of the kids, but guess what, it was a "noisy" ship, however, I still loved it and would book it again despite some of its issues.

I'm not sure it's worse. ...

Well ... except folks watching you get dressed ... and other things:eek:

Because folks can see right INTO the cabin:mad:

Imagine waking up naked in the morning looking out your balcony in bed as the sun comes up with a stranger (or worse ... your boss) staring you in the face:o

What's the point of having a balcony if you have to keep the blinds closed most of the time. Might as well book an inside cabin:confused:

Thanks for the Prom Deck photos.... looks at least as bad as stated :(

Archived