NYC Marriott suggestions

I am looking for a hotel for two nights pre-cruise. I am hoping to take advantage of Marriott certificates and/or rewards points. Hopefully, there are other Marriott rewards people on here who will understand what I'm talking about, but others feel free to chime in too.

As far as I can tell, all properties on Manhattan are category 6 or above- which means the certificates are no good because they only go up to cat 5. Any that I'm missing? Or any alternatives not on Manhattan, but close to a subway stop and easy back and forth?

If not, I'm considering the Fairfield in midtown near Penn Station. It is only one level up, seems fairly easy to get to a subway and new hotel. Any feedback?

Cruising on Breakaway if that helps.

Marriott hotels near LGA and Newark are 5s and under. I think it was the Courtyard LGA that had a shuttle to and from the subway into Manhattan. I had the same issue with using my rewards certificate. I ended up saving it and reserving via Hotwire for inside the city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would stay downtown even if you have to pay and not use the rewards.

Keith

Downtown isn't where most of the tourists want to be, Keith. They probably want to be in midtown which is much closer to Times Square and most of the sites (Top of the Rock, theaters, Empire State Building, Central Park, etc)

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll be flying into Newark.

Keith- I get what you're saying, but I need to use the rewards so I can have money to spend in New York, and onboard. I'll be coming in the day after Thanksgiving, so I think the rates are higher than average.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll be flying into Newark.

Keith- I get what you're saying, but I need to use the rewards so I can have money to spend in New York, and onboard. I'll be coming in the day after Thanksgiving, so I think the rates are higher than average.

If you're flying into Newark there is a Courtyard in the Newport area of Jersey City next to Path for easy 7x24 access into midtown or downtown NY plus a great view of Manhattan.

If you're flying into Newark there is a Courtyard in the Newport area of Jersey City next to Path for easy 7x24 access into midtown or downtown NY plus a great view of Manhattan.

Won't work - it's a Category 6.

138east, what's your opinion on the Courtyard Secaucus Meadowlands? It's a Category 4, so the OP could use her free night certs. Otherwise, you're looking at Brooklyn/Long Island.

Thanks for the responses! I will look at the properties suggested. My thinking now is that I'm not going to find a category 5 or less that is close enough to public transit to make it worth it, so I will try using points and cash if necessary, for one of the category 6 properties in Manhattan.

The Fairfield I mentioned earlier seems easy enough to get to from Newark. 1025cruise- were you at the one on 33rd St between 8th & 9th Avenues? It is listed as a new property.

Any other suggestions or feedback is appreciated!

Thanks for the responses! I will look at the properties suggested. My thinking now is that I'm not going to find a category 5 or less that is close enough to public transit to make it worth it, so I will try using points and cash if necessary, for one of the category 6 properties in Manhattan.

You know it's an either/or, right? As in, you can pay for the room, or you can pay with points, but you can't use a combination of the 2 (and there's no upgrading the certs, with cash or points).

I've actually been successful getting LNF rates in Manhattan, so you might go that route.

Actually, you can use both points and cash now. You can either combine points nights with cash nights, or can pay extra to buy additional points needed for the reservation. Maybe this is a recent change?

I've never done an LNF rate but will check into it.

If you already have certificates for categories 1 through 5, you might not be able to find much. The Courtyard at Times Square is 40,000 points per night so if you have enough points you can do it. We will be doing a pre cruise stay in NY in Sept. 2014. I plan to book with reward points, however, I will continue looking for rooms with Hot Wire or Priceline up until the hotel cancellation time. If I can get a good rate I would rather save the points. The following are all category 5 or below:

Fairfield Inn New York Long Island City/Manhattan View

Fairfield Inn New York LaGuardia Airport/Astoria

Courtyard Secaucus Meadowlands

Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Brooklyn

Courtyard New York LaGuardia Airport

Thanks Tracy. I will have two certificates by then that I was hoping to take advantage of. Alternatively, I expect to have enough points for two nights in category 6. I will keep looking as well, but I am thinking that NYC is a good use of points because of the rates I am seeing.

• 3 weeks later...
Too bad. Courtyard Secaucus would be fine. It really only has bus transportation to Port Authority, but that's okay. Lots of folks do that.

I've been looking into this one more. One aspect that is nice is its proximity to WalMart and Sams for last minute stuff. It looks like a 20 minute bus ride to the port authority terminal. What about from the airport? Taxi the best option?

Do you all think this would be better than the Brooklyn and along Long Island options?

Archived