Live From The Royal Princess

Shogun

Wondered if the Elite cabins (and suites?) have different individual shampoo, conditioner and body lotion (Lotus Spa type) containers on the sink shelf:confused:

No. how could Princess do that? Reserve cabins for elite passengers on every sailing? I think not, but you may be given additional stuff. Suite will though.

Wondered if the Elite cabins (and suites?) have different individual shampoo, conditioner and body lotion (Lotus Spa type) containers on the sink shelf:confused:

No. how could Princess do that? Reserve cabins for elite passengers on every sailing? I think not, but you may be given additional stuff. Suite will though.

Yes, there will be the same Lotus spa yucky stuff like lotion and the other things they give us like qtips, loofah, lip balm, etc. Working 2 Cruise, they manage to do it. I don't know what you find in your cabin, but ours has always had the full complement and never the cardboard containers. Do they still have those? As soon as they change door names, they know which cabins get the amenities. Very easy I imagine.

My own thoughts on some things that have been commented on

1. Yes, I wish the balconies were larger. My DH and I enjoy sitting on our ms balcony and enjoying the sun, the passing ships and the sea breezes. But this is one cruise and my main purpose is to enjoy a ship which will be only six months old when we sail on 12/8

2. I will check out the Seawalk, but watching you sunbath or have a balcony meal is not the reason I want to do the Seawalk. I want to hang above the ocean or Caribbean Sea in a way I have never done before. I grew up on the 9th floor of an apartment in NYC and have no fear of heights. I think it is exhilarating to be suspended but safe. On past cruisesI have been stared at, I am sure, by passengers above me and have taken a quick curious glance at balconies below me. It is just part of the experience.

3. Sorry, but I do hope Princess gym keeps exercise machines to time limit WHEN OTHERS ARE WAITING. I hate coming to the gym, noting when someone will be finished and then having to wait, using machines that don't fit my usual exercise pattern. I admire the fact that you run marathons and I only do 5K's, but I will make a fuss if you go too far over your time while I am waiting.

4. I will probably miss the Promenade going all the way around, but again, I love to cruise; I love to meet people. I'll adapt.

5. I am super excited to be on a new ship and that it is a Princess ship makes it better. The reality is, when you think about it, you get a room, all the food you can eat, entertainment, places you may never have been to before, good company, games, dancing and more for the price you have been quoted. If you want to add special meals, alcohol, gambling or other items, it is your choice and should budget according to your personal means.

I have been on nine cruises, some cheap, some more expensive; but I have never had a bad time because my husband and I have decided life is too short to not enjoy it.:cool:

I agree 100% as well. Dh and I still work and and we say if there is such a thing as a bad day on vacay it is still better than a good day at work! LOL While we will miss the center staircase to get up and down floors we can easily walk the little extra to the aft or forward staircases, which DH then notes means more calories burned for more yummy desserts! Each ship has its own personality and we book more for the itinerary and experience of seeing places we have never seen and we soak up every minute of it.

We are excited to go on the Regal in 2015 and THANK ALL OF YOU ON BOARD that are taking time out of your wonderful and possibly once in a lifetime vacations to share pics and comments of your wonderful journey!

True, not on this thread. When a similar observation regarding the size of the balconies has been offered on other threads the usual replies are "oh, we don't spend much time on our balcony so who cares' and "if balcony size means so much to you, book with another ship or cruise line". I respect Shogun's opinions. The balconies are too darn small!

I wouldn't characterize any of those responses as 'flaming.' Seems like common sense to me.

OMG!!! Even Shogun has commented that the balconies are miniscule. Will you flame him?:rolleyes:

Nope, I respect his opinion. I also believe the balconies are too small. I booked the Royal the on the first day you could (March 25, 2012). I was, for the most part, was taken by the preview videos that Princess put out. We have a MB mini and I'm not looking forward to the small balcony. However, I'm not about to cancel my favorite itinerary on a brand new ship with other features I'm sure I will love. The small balconies and lack of a promenade however will most likely mean I won't be again booking the Royal/Reagl anytime soon unless there's one heck of a fire sale.....:):):)

Bob

On my cruises last year on the Star and Sapphire, time limits were not enforced, though there were cards saying 25 minutes. As I was training for a marathon, my treadmill runs were rarely less than 90 minutes. So, I am hoping they continue to look the other way. The running track really doesn't look like the best option for me. Let's hope we don't get a new thread started along the lines of dress allowed in the MDR.

I think it was 7 laps of the running track to make a mile so training for a marathon would certainly make you dizzy!

Hi All

The Chefs Table

I have done a few on a few ships, some have been better than others but never had a bad night,

So lets look at the Royals Chefs Table only the third one to date, so things might change,

The menu comes in a beautiful silver coloured folder for you to keep, special designed for the chefs table,

The Table is amazing from the mother of pearl inlay to the glass sculpture as its centre piece ,

The wall of light is to be admired the way it wraps around and descends at the same time,

The china ware with its gold edges, to the main plate with the pearl detailing, the silver and gold

Cutlery, all make you feel this is special, the only let down here is the glass wear Princess take note

we need new glass wear to match the quality of the chefs table. Standards ships issue will not do.

The presentation is fault less we had only nine at the table three calling off late, however the

number is not important, the main course comes under a shiny metal dome cover, sorry can not recall correct name,

served by nine crew including chef, they count down to the big unveiling of the main course and we

all get the first sight together of the main dish , other parts of the meal are done in a similar

dramatic fashion, which is nice and all part of the show, however this results in a very fast service.

As to the food the finest quality as you would expect, showing off the best skills and experience that

the chef has, the quantity is down on past chefs tables, this is not a bad thing, fine dining

is not about quantity , the wine pairing is again first class and your glass was topped up however I

would guess there was a limit on the number of bottles as glasses were cleared quite quickly to

allow the diner to progress, the dessert was out of this world as you would expect . So would I do

another no, I am happy that I have done it, but for me a few things were not right, first the cost it’s a

bit high, OK its booked out full every night of the next cruise, however we only got on as another

couple cancelled then we had 25 % no shows,

I like the galley tour, there was not one this time, two of the best I have done took us around the

galley explained the different work stations, the times, volumes etc, another just took us to one side

and said stand there and watch as crew went about their duties,

next was the speed of the diner it just went so well it was over so fast, when they used to bring

food to the table and serve you it took time you could see your food but not yet get to it, this was all

part of the show, the tease of not being able to taste the food you could see and smell, again at the

end of a meal I have seen chef maître d sit down and share a glass of wine and a story, not this time,

it all seemed a little rushed, not so much as they wanted to get away, more that they had so much

work to do they could not spend time with us, doing the table every night takes up so much of their

limited time. Even the photos in the past two a group shot and a couple shot this time only one

photo, OK only a little thing but I prefer the two.

So those booked on the Chefs table are in for an amazing meal and evening but for only two hrs, in

the past it has been three hours and an odd occasion 4 when the wine and story telling went well

into the night, may be once it drops to may be only twice a week it will get better as chef has more time,

All that I have spoken to thought it was amazing those who have only ever done it here on the Royal,

can not praise it high enough, they were never expected anything like it on a cruise ship, and

may be there lies part of the problem,

us old sea dogs expect more, and can recall last years prices, were those who

have never cruised think the Royal Princess to be the best cruise ship ever.

yours Shogun

On my cruises last year on the Star and Sapphire, time limits were not enforced, though there were cards saying 25 minutes. As I was training for a marathon, my treadmill runs were rarely less than 90 minutes. So, I am hoping they continue to look the other way. The running track really doesn't look like the best option for me. Let's hope we don't get a new thread started along the lines of dress allowed in the MDR.

We are also in training so we asked the gym instructor on the royal specifically about the time limits. He said they weren't setting any at the minute but would consider it if the gym got too busy. Hopefully the increased number of machines will be enough to compensate for increased number of passengers and they won't need to.

As for the running track, it's a very hard surface- the same as the balconies have without the blue matting. If you are doing lots of miles it would be very hard on the legs. We were a bit disappointed that they hadn't used the spongey/grippy surface that lots of tracks have. It would also be very slippery if it rained.

Hi All

Gibraltar, excellent port of call, staying late allows you get to see the night life, although we missed it having to be back on board for diner, others took full advantage of the all aboard by 10.30pm

Now as you go around the Royal there are display screens everywhere, out the elevators which tell you the port of call a pretty picture of it and the all aboard time, very simple but good idea, I am sure they could display any important or useful information here.

Anyway, Back to the Rock the Apes were on good form, did hear one passenger got bitten but tour guide said it would be his own fault never get between an Ape and food, never carry food or handle food as they can smell it, being wrapped up in a bag etc makes no difference, saw a couple of folks buy ice cream walk out side and lose it in seconds to an ape, so my story do not worry its not sad in fact it has a happy ending, may be I should just stop here and let you work out what the big male Ape was doing.

We toured the WW2 tunnels, the 100 ton gun, the top of the Rock, the caves the lighthouse,, and the Apes, tour finished down town nice tour took 4 hours.

Costs the tickets were £21 for everything, the taxi was £45 per hour split 7 ways.

Yours Shogun

Oh please Shogun, don't leave us hanging ... do tell what you had to eat at Chef's Table!!!! Sounds delicious!

Us poor "rotund" and underfed Aussies (who live to eat) are dying to know. Oh yes, and the accompanying vinos would be helpful too! ;)

LOL sounds like you're having a fabulous cruise. Goodonya!!!:D

SwissDave - did you happen to see any of the forward corner minis (M107/08, L107/08)? Are they bigger? How are they configured? Any info would be greatly appreciated! :)

Had a look in m107 on turnaround day. Very large sitting area as you go in, balcony door opposite sofa and opens onto the side of ship. Separate sleeping area but cant remember which way bed faced. Balcony is huge and covers the top if the bridge area and some more, you could have a great venice sailaway party on it. You can certainly use the balcony sailing into and out of port but would probably be too windy when at sea. I did not notice any signs that said you cannot use it when at sea. Pink-belle has some pictures of the cabin and balcony and she might be good enough to post them if I ask her nicely enough.*

Not sure if this question was answered or not:

Do you know where the Platinum/Elite Cocktail hour is being held on the Royal? On our other cruises it was in Skywalkers. But for our TA on the Emerald it was in Club Fusion (because there were so many P & E passengers).

Another question: I had heard that Wyland was doing a painting on the bottom of the pool - can someone confirm this? I love his work.

Thank you!

Hi All

So would I do

another no, I am happy that I have done it, but for me a few things were not right, first the cost it’s a

bit high, OK its booked out full every night of the next cruise, however we only got on as another

couple cancelled then we had 25 % no shows,

I like the galley tour, there was not one this time, two of the best I have done took us around the

galley explained the different work stations, the times, volumes etc, another just took us to one side

and said stand there and watch as crew went about their duties,

next was the speed of the diner it just went so well it was over so fast, when they used to bring

food to the table and serve you it took time you could see your food but not yet get to it, this was all

part of the show, the tease of not being able to taste the food you could see and smell, again at the

end of a meal I have seen chef maître d sit down and share a glass of wine and a story, not this time,

it all seemed a little rushed, not so much as they wanted to get away, more that they had so much

work to do they could not spend time with us, doing the table every night takes up so much of their

limited time. Even the photos in the past two a group shot and a couple shot this time only one

photo, OK only a little thing but I prefer the two.

So those booked on the Chefs table are in for an amazing meal and evening but for only two hrs, in

the past it has been three hours and an odd occasion 4 when the wine and story telling went well

into the night, may be once it drops to may be only twice a week it will get better as chef has more time,

All that I have spoken to thought it was amazing those who have only ever done it here on the Royal,

can not praise it high enough, they were never expected anything like it on a cruise ship, and

may be there lies part of the problem,

yours Shogun

Having enjoyed the chefs table (and the galley tour prior to it 4 times so far,) you are making me rethink doing it when it is my turn on the Royal.

thanks for the heads up!

yours Shogun

Very interesting comment.....;) I have a feeling the Allure will top the Royal with our friend Shogun.

Hi AllThe Chefs TableHors D OeuvresLobster Tail on Buckwheat BliniBeef TatareSmoked Duck Breast CarpaccloWinesNicloas Feullatte BrutPouilly Fume Sauvigon BlancDomaine Mollet MaudryTracy Sur Lorie Francisan MagnificantCeviche of Scallop and TunaMango and Drambuie SorbetRoasted Rack of Veal Cognac Flamed CrayfishMille Deullie of Gorgonzola Mousse Sweet Onion CompoteCholalte Dome With Passion fruit Creme Brulee Carmal lava Center Mango SorbetCoffeeHome made MignardsiesExcellant Blend of Tastes colour and smells, Yours Shogun

Hi All

Elite Snacks are in club 6

yours Shogun

Another mystery bites the dust. Thank you sir.

My understanding is that the lounge operates during cocktail hours and is open to Platinum, Elite and full suite cruisers.

A tad O.T. but oh well.....

New resort/hotel in South Korea. (Jeongdongjin) Yes, it's real. But does anyone else see the "seawalk" ?

Then again, it also has some definite Royal Caribbean "features" too. Hmmmm..... :):D:rolleyes:

ship_hotel.jpg

cruise-ship-bar1.jpg

Hi AllThe Chefs TableHors D OeuvresLobster Tail on Buckwheat BliniBeef TatareSmoked Duck Breast CarpaccloWinesNicloas Feullatte BrutPouilly Fume Sauvigon BlancDomaine Mollet MaudryTracy Sur Lorie Francisan MagnificantCeviche of Scallop and TunaMango and Drambuie SorbetRoasted Rack of Veal Cognac Flamed CrayfishMille Deullie of Gorgonzola Mousse Sweet Onion CompoteCholalte Dome With Passion fruit Creme Brulee Carmal lava Center Mango SorbetCoffeeHome made MignardsiesExcellant Blend of Tastes colour and smells, Yours Shogun

Many thanks for that Shogun ... it all sounds scrumptious! I'm salivating as I type. LOL are you still smiling thinking about it all? :)

I have another question. Just saw a picture of the carpet in the cabin hallways.

There's no more Red or Blue "stripe" on the carpet to let you know Port or Starboard side? That was handy when you came off the elevator (lift) - instead of looking at the sign you just had to look at the carpet and know which side you need to go to.

Having enjoyed the chefs table (and the galley tour prior to it 4 times so far,) you are making me rethink doing it when it is my turn on the Royal.

thanks for the heads up!

We have only done the Chef's Table once and it was three hours with lots of wine, a good time spent in the galley on appetizers paired with wine, and great explanations from the Chef and his team. So now they charging more than 20% more and cutting this down in time by 50%. After Rai Caluori came on these boards and said the increased price was well worth it, I was expecting more, not less.

Thanks Shogun. You have been very informative. We are not going to cancel our cruise and can't wait for the Baltics on the Royal, but I am disappointed by decreases in balcony size and the Chef's Table experience. It's like that ATT commercial. What's better? Less or More? With the Royal Princess, we seem to be getting less. We want more. We want more.

Archived