ROYAL Princess - no Central Staircase a Royal Pain

Rick-cruiser

What fascinates me is that there hasn't been any outrage at the lack of outside cabins.

Since that was a "feature" when the plans for the ship were initially announced, I expect few people are newly surprised by the lack of oceanview cabins. Disappointed, but not surprised.

On the otherhand, the "generous" size of most of the balconies was a complete surprise to everyone once they saw their cabins. (Think of Shogun's post of an angry suite customer at the Purser's desk.)

What fascinates me is that there hasn't been any outrage at the lack of outside cabins. That, to me, is much bigger a "flaw" than the other things people are writing about. The difference between the cheapest balcony and "best" inside is over $2,200 on the two cruises I've booked. Hard to justify spending that much more so I've booked an inside for the first time in years. I'll still have a great time because I'll be cruising with friends and making new ones.

Oh, I am outraged Pam, but why would Princess care what I think? Why would they want to give me an obstr. OV at 65% single supp. when they can screw me for sliding doors and a ledge for a much higher base price and 100% supp.? Sadly, I need daylight so insides are not an option.

No matter what minimal concessions they offer to solos, cruise lines don't really want us, we don't make them any money.

So really it's a good thing there is no proper promenade deck, no central stairs and no aft pool - it softens the pain of the fact that I will miss that glorious atrium since I will never sail on the Royal or the Regal.

Oh, I am outraged Pam, but why would Princess care what I think? Why would they want to give me an obstr. OV at 65% single supp. when they can screw me for sliding doors and a ledge for a much higher base price and 100% supp.? Sadly, I need daylight so insides are not an option.

No matter what minimal concessions they offer to solos, cruise lines don't really want us, we don't make them any money.

So really it's a good thing there is no proper promenade deck, no central stairs and no aft pool - it softens the pain of the fact that I will miss that glorious atrium since I will never sail on the Royal or the Regal.

Outraged? Pain? Nobody is screwing you. They built a ship that's not a great fit for you. You can probably find one that is.

Since that was a "feature" when the plans for the ship were initially announced, I expect few people are newly surprised by the lack of oceanview cabins. Disappointed, but not surprised.

On the otherhand, the "generous" size of most of the balconies was a complete surprise to everyone once they saw their cabins. (Think of Shogun's post of an angry suite customer at the Purser's desk.)

I agree. The lack of oceanview cabins was known; perhaps not liked, but known. The cabin diagrams that still exist on Princess.com clearly overstate the size of the balconies on all the cabins.

Coincidentally, I did a little math this morning. 42% of Emerald (Crown/Ruby) cabins are inside or oceanview. 19% of Royal cabins are inside. I suspect a lot of previously "oceanview" people psyched themselves up for a balcony on the Royal, and now, seeing what they're like, are disappointed. What do these people do now? Cancel and book another ship (which might not be on Princess)? Book an inside? There might not be any available. They seem to be wailisted as quickly as suites.

I'm wondering if we'll eventually see Royal balcony cabins priced closer to insides (either because the insides have gone up in price or the balcony prices have dropped). This stuff fascinates me.

A standard balcony cabin and an inside cabin are the same size. $2200 difference for what is not a whole lot more than a window that opens is pretty ridiculous.

Outraged? Pain? Nobody is screwing you. They built a ship that's not a great fit for you. You can probably find one that is.

Thank you hubo.....really getting tired of all the complaining when there are other options for those who are not happy with the Royal:)

I agree. The lack of oceanview cabins was known; perhaps not liked, but known. The cabin diagrams that still exist on Princess.com clearly overstate the size of the balconies on all the cabins.

Clearly overstated and how.

Here is the link to the rendering of the size of the "Deluxe Balcony Stateroom" on the Princess website complete with a balcony scale that is significantly larger than what the photos are showing. Even the table and chair are reduced in scale by such a large measure, one would think they are getting a spacious space facing the sea.

What fascinates me is that there hasn't been any outrage at the lack of outside cabins. That, to me, is much bigger a "flaw" than the other things people are writing about. The difference between the cheapest balcony and "best" inside is over $2,200 on the two cruises I've booked. Hard to justify spending that much more so I've booked an inside for the first time in years. I'll still have a great time because I'll be cruising with friends and making new ones.

It wasn't for lack of trying! I've been vocally outraged about it from day one. I realize it won't change with these two ships, but I can only hope it stops with these two ships and any future builds have oceanview cabins. If I recall, the original Royal was all outside cabins, and that was a trend that didn't last long, either, so we can hope . . .

Coincidentally, I did a little math this morning. 42% of Emerald (Crown/Ruby) cabins are inside or oceanview. 19% of Royal cabins are inside. I suspect a lot of previously "oceanview" people psyched themselves up for a balcony on the Royal, and now, seeing what they're like, are disappointed. What do these people do now? Cancel and book another ship (which might not be on Princess)? Book an inside? There might not be any available. They seem to be wailisted as quickly as suites.

I'm wondering if we'll eventually see Royal balcony cabins priced closer to insides (either because the insides have gone up in price or the balcony prices have dropped). This stuff fascinates me.

A standard balcony cabin and an inside cabin are the same size. $2200 difference for what is not a whole lot more than a window that opens is pretty ridiculous.

And while we're at it...why pay top $$ for midships when you have to walk ALL the way to the AFT or BOW to go up and down (since there are no midship stairs). Might as well save some money and get a cabin closer to the stairs that do exist.

You don't seem to understand....

- Rick

Thank you for your A-Z list of complaints. Very well thought out and detailed. I have already read the reviews and concerns of those on the ship and have stored away that information for the two weeks I will be on her in December. And if it turns out to be a worse case scenario I am quite sure that I will adapt and overcome instead of complain about it. :D

If you are so bothered by the "lack of" why oh why don't you cruise another ship or cruise line?

And all of this 'outrage' over this and that, I can see people at home yelling at their computer screens and shaking their fists all red-faced. I have this cartoon image of peoples heads exploding all over. :eek: If they are that 'outraged' there are two choices: deal with it, or book another ship. It's as simple as that. :cool:

Thank you for your A-Z list of complaints. Very well thought out and detailed. I have already read the reviews and concerns of those on the ship and have stored away that information for the two weeks I will be on her in December. And if it turns out to be a worse case scenario I am quite sure that I will adapt and overcome instead of complain about it. :D

And all of this 'outrage' over this and that, I can see people at home yelling at their computer screens and shaking their fists all red-faced. I have this cartoon image of peoples heads exploding all over. :eek: If they are that 'outraged' there are two choices: deal with it, or book another ship. It's as simple as that. :cool:

They want stairs to get exercise, yet don't want to walk down the hall to get exercise. I am confused. My head is now exploding. Time for sleep.

They want stairs to get exercise, yet don't want to walk down the hall to get exercise. I am confused. My head is now exploding. Time for sleep.

There are times I want to get exercise and times that I want to get somewhere quickly.

These times are usually not the same.

To me that's the bottom line...constructive criticism about ways a cruise line can improve passengers' experience is helpful...complaining about a design of a ship won't change things & the same complaints over & over again by the same people doesn't help anyone. :rolleyes:

And yes ignoring such threads is what I should do but too many times on CC people are hesitant to take a cruise based on the Chicken Little complaints by those who are rarely completely happily. So myself & others post another point of view to reassure those who are afraid to cruise based on some CC posts.

Many have cruised more times than me but having the pleasure to sail on over 30 cruises it's a great if not always perfect experience for me!

I can see people at home yelling at their computer screens and shaking their fists all red-faced. I have this cartoon image of peoples heads exploding all over.

That's pretty much how I view the bleating posts here like:

"no more negative posts about royal"

or

"please list something positive about royal"

My mental image of these posters is a four year old about

to throw a tantrum because things aren't going their way.

There are times I want to get exercise and times that I want to get somewhere quickly.

These times are usually not the same.

Okay, so the point then is the elevators are too slow for this vacation that requires much rushing around.

That's pretty much how I view the bleating posts here like:

"no more negative posts about royal"

or

"please list something positive about royal"

My mental image of these posters is a four year old about

to throw a tantrum because things aren't going their way.

Same applies to the 'how dare they take away my promenade and dancing' crowd. ;)

Be thankful there are at least elevators in the central section, at least according to the deck plan.

Major design flaw of Celebrity's Solstice-Class vessels are no stairs or elevators in the mid-section of the ships.

Check the Solstice diagrams. There are elavators and stairs midship. There are none aft.

Check the Solstice diagrams. There are elavators and stairs midship. There are none aft.

" Major Design flaw" for who?

I have been on X S class twice and had to go to the deck plans to see what the stair and elevator plan was. We were near the aft on one.

Didn't pay attention while I was on them just walked to the nearest access point and went where we needed to go.

I have been on Freedom of the Sea's and that was huge but did not pay attention to access on that ship either.

I guess for us it won't make a difference if we sail Royal.

I don't intend to sail Royal in the fore see able future just seems bland to me at that price point.

But I said I would never sail Oasis as I thought she would be too big, but 5 yr after her launch I am booked on both her trans Atlantic's Sept 1st 2014 & return Oct 14 2014.

So I will spend 25 days on a ship I swore I would never sail and am looking forward to it with anticipation.

The balconies are a disappointment to me so I when I do sail Royal I will do an inside and avoid the angst and enjoy the amenities at the lowest possible cost.

But I said I would never sail Oasis as I thought she would be too big, but 5 yr after her launch I am booked on both her trans Atlantic's Sept 1st 2014 & return Oct 14 2014.

So I will spend 25 days on a ship I swore I would never sail and am looking forward to it with anticipation.

Nobody should ever say never for Oasis/Allure. The great thing about a TA is that you won't have to rush to see everything. You are doing that one in style. Have fun. We'll book the 3rd in this class when it comes out. Well, we'll wait until the second season in 2017.

How many ships are really destinations in and of themselves? Is it just the Oasis/Allure now? For other cruises, we look at dates that can work for the family, itineraries we like and only THEN look at ship and cruise line choices. For Royal Princess, we were actually first focused on Baltics and then the date was July 4 weekend. From there, it was either a Celebrity Solstice class ship or Royal Princess. Celebrity Verandah current pricing for their itinerary was around $7,400 for two. Royal Princess deluxe balcony DD was around $6,200. This was not a hard decision for us, but we would have also chosen the Princess ship if it were Ruby or Emerald. We do want to try a Solstice class ship, but not if prices are 20% more than Princess.

The Navigator of the Sea has only 2 sets of stairways...one at each end of the interior promenade area by the theater & dining areas...like the Royal only without the midship elevators.

In defense of me, I have sailed on Eclipse. My stateroom was located aft of the forward elevators/stairwell. To use the elevators/stairs aft of my location, I had to walk a good distance aft in order to get to their location. As far as I was/am concerned, they are located more aft than mid-ship. Granted there are no elevators/stairwells further aft than this location, but there does not need to be, in my opinion.

The problem is what is the definition of mid-ship.

So it sounds like the Royal only has less staircases when compared to the other Princess ship. Most have three sets of staircases and three sets of elevators.

Their comparable Celebrity and Royal Caribbean ships have only two sets of staircases and elevators. Thus the Royal Princess has an extra set of elevators compared to these ships and an equal number of staircases.

Hi All

There are six elevators mid ships, now our cruise was at least 900 passengers below full,

but a couple of times we walked forward to get a set that were not over flowing,

same with horizon court at main eating times, quite a few folk saying they would have prefered to have walked down a few decks to their cabins, so would walk to the aft set

the ship is what she is, it is not going to change.

yours Shogun

I agree with Shogun who I was on the cruise with. The ship is what it is and cannot be changed but the lack of a central stairwell is annoying. If there was a passenger usable central stairwell pressure on the lifts in the centre of the ship would be eased.

What I found annoying was when you want to go two decks you wait a long time for a lift to arrive, the lift is full and so you have to wait for another lift. I could have used the stairs for and gone up two decks easily.

I did find out what was classed as an emergency stairwell during the emergency drill before we sailed. What I found was a serviceable stairwell that had no carpeting and no fancy hand rails. I also found there was no crew only facilities, ventilation ducting or anything else in the stairwell other than a staircase with doors preventing access on each floor which would open in the case of an emergency.

I personally see no reason why a central stairwell for passengers was not included. I also see no reason why the stairwell that is there is not made into a normal stairwell. The doors that are there should remain because these would help if needed for containment of a situation.

I do hope Princess do make changes to the Regal and if the Royal can be modified.

Archived